Home General Discussion
Options

Best Humidification System?

After enjoying cigars casually for several years I'm just getting into the hobby more seriously.  I've seen lots of opinions about humidification systems from people who seem to be biased.  Is there any general consensus for a good, cheap, stable option to keep a medium-sized humidor at the proper humidity? 

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    explosivebeer:
    After enjoying cigars casually for several years I'm just getting into the hobby more seriously.  I've seen lots of opinions about humidification systems from people who seem to be biased.  Is there any general consensus for a good, cheap, stable option to keep a medium-sized humidor at the proper humidity? 
    Beads... Hands down... I use Heartfelt... There are the same beads for Cheaper (I believe that Laker has a link) but for a medium sized humi... Beads...
  • Options
    sirfoster83sirfoster83 Posts: 783
    I just got conservagel beads. Love them
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    +1 on beads - just spray them with distilled water and you're good to go; no fuss, no measuring 50/50 propylene glycol into that crappy puck, etc - just distilled water.You can buy either Heartfelt beads or Conservagel beads - just google and you'll find what you need.

The Heartfelt website has a calculator for figuring out how much beads you need; the general advice is to take whatever number they give you, and double it, since the calculator only gives you the bare minimum.

EDIT - if your humi is larger than a 300-count, you may wanna look into an electronic humidification system, like Cigar Oasis (though you should still use beads, since the electronic humi's can only emit humidity, they can't absorb it). Personally, I buy 1 water tank, cut the foam out, and just use loose water (you can always put beads or gel in the water tank). About once or twice a month, I run it thru the diswasher to prevent mold buildup. Simple, cheap, and it'll last forever - it sure beats buying a new tank every month like the CO website wants you to.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys.  I'm going to get a lb of ConservaGel beads, or possibly some of the eBay beads, unless there's a problem with those. 
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    explosivebeer:
    Biased?????
  • Options
    KCW:
    Biased?????

From what I've read, it seems people are more interested in advocating whatever system they use (surely it must be the best if they're using it), rather than explaining what the options are and providing quality general information. 

With that said, I'm fine giving the beads a try and seeing how they work out.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    explosivebeer:
    KCW:
    Biased?????

From what I've read, it seems people are more interested in advocating whatever system they use (surely it must be the best if they're using it), rather than explaining what the options are and providing quality general information. 

With that said, I'm fine giving the beads a try and seeing how they work out.
    I'm sure you will find they will work great for you.