Home General Discussion
Options

Excuse for a great one?

Every cigar fan I know has a "special occasion"stash. My own currently contains a Camacho PE, 2 GOF's, an Opus X and a VSG Wizard. I reach for these when 1) I receive great news 2) I have a relaxing day off that counts as vacation 3) Special friends to share with 4) Really bad day and I feel I deserve some pleasure. How do you know when it's time to overindulge?

Comments

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    havanaal:
    Every cigar fan I know has a "special occasion"stash. My own currently contains a Camacho PE, 2 GOF's, an Opus X and a VSG Wizard. I reach for these when 1) I receive great news 2) I have a relaxing day off that counts as vacation 3) Special friends to share with 4) Really bad day and I feel I deserve some pleasure. How do you know when it's time to overindulge?
    Every morning when I wake up and my chest goes in & out.
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Today is the day of The Beard! Nuff reason for me :^) All the reasons you listed would be good ones for me as well though...
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    KCW:
    havanaal:
    Every morning when I wake up and my chest goes in & out.
    +1 to this comment... I used to have the "celebratory" stick mentality, but realized that those sticks almost never got smoked. Also, despite having a high pricetag or brand cachet, you may still hate that stick you set aside...so let the cigar be the celebration, and smoke whatcha want, when ya want.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    This year I have started smoking those 'special occasion' cigars on a regular basis. Cohoba Reserva from 2002, San Cristobal from 2001, R&J #3 tubos from 2008, H. Upman Mag 50's from 2008 and many more. I am saving a couple of each (especially the ones that I know I will NEVER find again) but that's it. When a cigar is ready to be smoked, it's ready to be smoked!

My latest favourite 'special occasion is any occasion' cigar is the Hoyo de Monterrey edition limitada 2007. I know I'm talking a lot of Cubans here, but I would not list those as my 'everyday cigars', but once a week is SWEET!

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I'm in the same boat. I'm not saving sticks for special occasions anymore. If I feel like it, I smoke it. So many times I've saved sticks like that only find out it wasn't all that great to begin with.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't have any special occasion cigars. I really don't see the need. Though there are cigars I don't smoke all too often but none that I'm saving for anything special.
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I understand the special occasion smoke but usually I let it be whatever I have that I know will not let me down. Otherwise, it's just by "feel".
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I have some cigars that I won't touch unless I get married or have a kid (Hopefully in that order) I have some discontinued cigars from about 7 years ago that I've smoked one and it was really good, and I have 10 left that i won't touch, I also have some ISOMs that I got from a fellow BOTL that are from '01 to '07 and they look goooooooood! (But I have only one of each, so I don't think I will smoke them soon)
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    I usually smoke whatever I'm in the mood for. If it's a rare cigar that I may not be able to get my hands on again (cigars that are discontinued), I may save that for a special occasion (holiday, good day of fishing/hunting, etc.). However, I usually smoke what seems good at the moment...I had two GOF cigars while over here and held off on smoking them because I kept trying to justify the occasion. However, life's too short and I felt like I might be missing out on something...when I finally lit them up, they were two of the best cigars I've had. Ended up buying two boxes after that :)
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I have a couple I'm saving for the holidays to enjoy after dinner with my bro, but other than that I just make sure if its a rare or expensive stick that I have plenty of time and can put my full attention into smoking the cigar. I wouldn't want t miss anything.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    havanaal:
    How do you know when it's time to overindulge?
    its tuesday.

iduno. i dont usually save for a special occasion. i dont smoke as often as i would like and i smoke at a frequency that is less than i buy so every cigar is a special occasion.