Home Cigar 101
Options

Best sticks for aging?

The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
Here is the weekend question for everyone... in your opinion and experience, which sticks benefit most from aging? Are there particular lines or brands or wrappers that you have found that really improve with age, and if so how long did you age them for?

Comments

• Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    i think every OpusX and Diamond Crowns should sleep a little. Most of my OpusX (any size) will get atleast a couple years on them before smoking and the Diamond Crowns (any size) get around 12 months.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only had mine for a short time, but Alex says the Diesel Unlimited ages well. I have them sleeping restfully.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    A good rule of thumb is the stronger the cigar the better it will age
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I try aging at least one of everything.

• Options
    YankeeMan:
    I've only had mine for a short time, but Alex says the Diesel Unlimited ages well. I have them sleeping restfully.
    See, this is where some of my confusion comes in Chief... the Diesel Unlimiteds were just released a couple weeks ago werent they? So how can we know if they age well or not?

jship079:
    Or is THIS why Alex said what he said? And if THATS true, is it pointless to try aging mild sticks, such as connecticuts?

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:

Cool Stephen - so what sticks have you had good success with? How long have you aged them for?

Thanks for the input fellas, keep it coming!

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it's true, but I hear aging connies for a loooong time only makes it less flavorful as there's not that many oils in connies anyway. I usually hear that sticks with a lot of oils or ligero age well like Ruination or an oily Camacho Triple Maduro.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    I'm not sure if it's true, but I hear aging connies for a loooong time only makes it less flavorful as there's not that many oils in connies anyway. I usually hear that sticks with a lot of oils or ligero age well like Ruination or an oily Camacho Triple Maduro.
    This is generally my belief, and to what's been said about connies...yeah, as a general rule of thumb, these are not the most prime candidates for aging.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    The general rule of thumb is to age stronger, more oily cigars to allow the oils in the different levels of tobacco (filler, binder, wrapper) to comingle or "marry," allowing a more even distribution of flavors. It will tame a strong, slightly harsh cigar (not a crappy harsh, but just strong and slightly young tasting - ie - opus), therefore may actually take away from the flavors of an already mild cigar.

It also all depends on your definition of "age." Some people let a cigar sit for 6 months to a year and think it's well aged. Others will look at 3 -5 years minimum.

This is why I now have two aging humidors. One for short term aging (1-3 years) and one for long term aging (3+ years).
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Strong, oily cigars age well for sure, as do cigars with complex flavors that could use a little smoothing out. It's sorta like spaghetti sauce: lots of ingredients and the sauce will do better with time; simple recipes (like milds) and over time the flavors will wash out.

My aging humi is full of Oliva V, MOW Ruination, LHCOF, Camacho, etc. I keep it closer to 70 RH to speed the process along a litte. When I pull one for smoking I put it into my normal humi and let it re-acclimate to 63 RH before lighting.
  • Options
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:

Cool Stephen - so what sticks have you had good success with? How long have you aged them for?

Thanks for the input fellas, keep it coming!

So far the the 5 Vegas Series A, Oliva Serie V, ITSFPB, Gurkha Blue Steel, and A. Fernandez Sumatras have turned out really well. Big difference in the flavor profile.

• Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Rob1110:
    The general rule of thumb is to age stronger, more oily cigars to allow the oils in the different levels of tobacco (filler, binder, wrapper) to comingle or "marry," allowing a more even distribution of flavors. It will tame a strong, slightly harsh cigar (not a crappy harsh, but just strong and slightly young tasting - ie - opus), therefore may actually take away from the flavors of an already mild cigar.

It also all depends on your definition of "age." Some people let a cigar sit for 6 months to a year and think it's well aged. Others will look at 3 -5 years minimum.

This is why I now have two aging humidors. One for short term aging (1-3 years) and one for long term aging (3+ years).
    X2, I hear this a lot.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    here is a link from 08 (well aged) about age and rest in very general terms: CLICK

most find that a stronger cigar will stand up to age better.
    due to the nature of what aging does, the mild cigars just lose too much.

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    inteRESTing....HA. So if conny's dont age well, how can macanudo justify their vintage line which i think is wrapper in all conny wrappers. Aside from the vintage 97 maduro (which if you havent seen, go click on "brands" and check it out. Stainless steel band, pretty pimp, reaonable price....i see a few of these in my future). But back to the conny's, i had a few conny's i had for 2 years(unintentional, jst forgot about them) and they got just kinda bland. I have a few Verdadero's aging just because i'm curious and bored but this is one of the things that kept me from buying the Mac vintage sampler....which had cigars in it from the mid 1980's.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    inteRESTing....HA. So if conny's dont age well, how can macanudo justify their vintage line which i think is wrapper in all conny wrappers. Aside from the vintage 97 maduro (which if you havent seen, go click on "brands" and check it out. Stainless steel band, pretty pimp, reaonable price....i see a few of these in my future). But back to the conny's, i had a few conny's i had for 2 years(unintentional, jst forgot about them) and they got just kinda bland. I have a few Verdadero's aging just because i'm curious and bored but this is one of the things that kept me from buying the Mac vintage sampler....which had cigars in it from the mid 1980's.
    Macanudo is known for very mild cigars. if thats their market, they dont need to justify. they have an EXTREMELY mild and smooth cigar.
  • Options
    I'm going to ad the ITC10th anniversary to this list.
    They're much better and smoother with age.

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    The only sticks I have any age on (1+ years) is the Gurkha Legend Perfecto: I can say they are definitely "better". Camacho Corojo LTD. Diploma: Much "better". I mean these are the only ones that have sat in MY humi for more than a year. I have some GOF's & Opus X's that are 2006's. They have been in my Humi for about 9 mos. A 2006 Cameroon La Aurora that has been in MY Humi for 3 Mos. And some "Southern" cigars (Hoyo's w/ Connie. wrapper) for a couple of years that seem the same as when I got them.
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    Would aging cure a tight draw on a cigar? I got some LHC oscuro fuertes on a daily deal and they are tight. The sticks are hard like bricks I would have thought they were extruded by a machine of some sort. The one I lit gave hardly any smoke but seemed to burn well. Kind of bummed me off though because I really wait to pull the trigger on the daily deals. I am abandoning the rest in my humi for a while to see what happens.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Schrooz:
    Would aging cure a tight draw on a cigar? I got some LHC oscuro fuertes on a daily deal and they are tight. The sticks are hard like bricks I would have thought they were extruded by a machine of some sort. The one I lit gave hardly any smoke but seemed to burn well. Kind of bummed me off though because I really wait to pull the trigger on the daily deals. I am abandoning the rest in my humi for a while to see what happens.
    It can, but not always. Sometimes they just wrap them too tight.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    C.com's Cuban Label and Gurkha Centurian get pretty good with age.
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    C.com's Cuban Label and Gurkha Centurian get pretty good with age.
    This is good to know 'cause I love both those sticks.

• Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Jetmech_63:
    One of the big things with this is that the vintage is the bumper crop they had that year. Those cigar have not been rolled and sitting that long. So they can use blending to help the flavors to stand up some when they are ready to roll the next batch
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Don't know if it's been mentioned yet or not, but Camacho Triple Maduros are great for aging.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    i found the gurkha Turk to be a lot nicer after a year :s
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    YankeeMan:
    See, this is where some of my confusion comes in Chief... the Diesel Unlimiteds were just released a couple weeks ago werent they? So how can we know if they age well or not?

jship079:
    Or is THIS why Alex said what he said? And if THATS true, is it pointless to try aging mild sticks, such as connecticuts?

I don't think it's useless aging Connecticuts. However, you shouldn't expect a whole lotta change with the cigar. That being said, I had a RP Vintage 99 that I took the wrapper off and aged a few years, it picked up a very nice cedar note, from the humi no doubt and just turned into a very nice, creamy, buttery smoke.
    I also believe that maduros age very well, I have had some RP OWR 2nds that I've been aging now a for a couple of years and I smoke one every now and then to see how they're coming along...Very nice indeed.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    sol1821:
    I agree with you sol, I think a lot of the connies that aren't necessarily known for being "super creamy" benefit greatly from a year in the humi. The Turk is a great example, as is the RP Connecticut, Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, AVO, CAO Gold, and even the 5 Vegas Gold.

A good year on these connies takes that slight "sharp edge" off of them, although much longer than that and the flavors do start to diminish as others have said here. Your post reminded me of the RP Connecticut I smoked just the other day that I'd gotten in late spring/summer of '09 and let me tell you, it was awesome!

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    sol1821:
    I agree with you sol, I think a lot of the connies that aren't necessarily known for being "super creamy" benefit greatly from a year in the humi. The Turk is a great example, as is the RP Connecticut, Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur, AVO, CAO Gold, and even the 5 Vegas Gold.

A good year on these connies takes that slight "sharp edge" off of them, although much longer than that and the flavors do start to diminish as others have said here. Your post reminded me of the RP Connecticut I smoked just the other day that I'd gotten in late spring/summer of '09 and let me tell you, it was awesome!

I just ordered a bunch of excaliburs and plan on putting most of them on hold until late next summer at which point they will have almost a year on them. Yummm...