Home Cigar 101
Options

New Humidor

Im seasoning my new 300ct humidor. i had the shot glass with water in there for a few days and friday night i put the hydrometer and the humidifier's in there i checked it saterday afternoon and the hydrometer was at 85% so i took the shot glass out and left everything else in there. it was still at 85% this morning. i have 2 trays in there. i was curious to see if the air at the bottom was less humid then the top. when i did that it was at 65% in the bottom.

My question i guess is with the hydrometer on the lid with the humidifiers with the small space of the tray is it more humid then it actually is and is this ready for my sticks?

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Are you using a digital or analog hygrometer? And no, you wouldn't have a real fluctuation in humidity (especially by 20%) from the top to the bottom of a 300ct - you might see this in a big cabinet, but there's just not enough room in a 300ct.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Hays:
    Are you using a digital or analog hygrometer? And no, you wouldn't have a real fluctuation in humidity (especially by 20%) from the top to the bottom of a 300ct - you might see this in a big cabinet, but there's just not enough room in a 300ct.
    Digital with 2 250 xikar crystal humidifiers
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Hmm... well it could be one of two things: are you sure your hygrometer is calibrated correctly? If not, this would be a good thing to verify. Other than that..the seasoning process is a 'fun' one, because it's not really an exact science. My 300ct, when seasoning, shot up to 80+% as well, and over a period of a week or so it finally leveled out where it should. I'm not clear on exactly how much time you've given to seasoning it, so maybe it just needs more time to season.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    i got it weds night. let it sit with water only till friday when i got my hydrometer and humdifiers. an yesterday took the water out.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Let the wood absorb the Humidity. Its been really humid in these parts with the exception of the past two days. It will even out. Keep an eye on it and definitely calibrate the Hygro. I would also remove one of the crystal tubes. You said you had 2 250's in there. I would take one out.
  • Options
    KCW:
    Let the wood absorb the Humidity. Its been really humid in these parts with the exception of the past two days. It will even out. Keep an eye on it and definitely calibrate the Hygro. I would also remove one of the crystal tubes. You said you had 2 250's in there. I would take one out.
    Hasent been to humid in Dover really. My other Humi is maintaining well.

I checked this morning to see where it stood. (hadnt looked since 233 yesterday afternoon) It was at 90%. So i took one of the humidifiers out and will see where it is when i get home tonight. If it is still over 80% any suggestions?
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Would give it a couple of days, I've been through this before too and based on my research of past threads it should even itself out. I'm in the process of seasoning my Aristocrat humidor with an electric humidity controlled humidifier and am experiencing the same fluctuations you are...
  • Options
    So i let the humi sit untouched for 24 hrs and removed 1 250 count Xikar crystal since i had to in there. it went from 87-88 in 24 hrs.

it seems to be maintaining the same. so im wondering if i should put my sticks in there or take all humifiers out and see where its at. the past 3 days seems to be sitting at 87-89%rh
  • Options
    u proally dont want to put your sticks in quite yet because you might run the risk of growing mold and that could be disasterous
  • Options
    i agree i dont want mold either. but its staying stable and i figure putting the sticks in will obsorb some of the humidity also.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I would pull out the other humi-care and try to get it down to 80 before i put my sticks in if you have to just leave it open for a little while. If you have any cedar from boxs you bought that sometimes will do the trick.The sticks will absorb the excess RH but at the the expense of your sticks being a little moister than you want if they are all ready were you like them.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    RaschNuts:
    So i let the humi sit untouched for 24 hrs and removed 1 250 count Xikar crystal since i had to in there. it went from 87-88 in 24 hrs.

it seems to be maintaining the same. so im wondering if i should put my sticks in there or take all humifiers out and see where its at. the past 3 days seems to be sitting at 87-89%rh
    What do your hygro's say your room RH is? Keep in mind two things:

- Humid air can go both ways, both into and out of a humi

- Humid air rises compared to less-humid air

It may be you seasoned your humi just fine and now it just needs to even out
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input guys. I took all the humidifiers out yesterday morning and it dropped to about 70% by last night. I felt comfortable putting my sticks in. This morning it still read 70% with only sticks in no humidifiers. will see what its at tonight and keep an eye on it. if it starts dropping to 65% will put one of the humidifiers in there. keep it around 70%