Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

LGC Reserva Figurados Flechas Especiales Maduro (My first review)

KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
OK guys. This is my first review. My pallet isn't even closed to refined but, here it goes anyway.

This is a 6.5 X49 Figurado (as all the Reserva Line is), and a gorgeous silky dark chocolate brown Maduro. This one I took from a box I just opened a few days ago. It had two days rest in my humi. The first one I ever had of these, I got as a single over the Summer. I loved it so, I got more!

It had a very light leather aroma out of the box. After I cut it there was some sweet notes before lighting & a slighty tight draw (which I expected to improve based on my first experience with one of these (and most Figurados). I toasted the foot. I immediately got a creamy smoke (with the tight draw), some light tobacco flavor and a really nice cedary aroma.

As I got into the fattest part of the cigar (which is closer to the foot than it is to the cap in this "Foot Heavy Figurado" (as I like to call it), the draw improved as I hoped. The burn was slightly un-even but needed nothing more than a quick fix. (I had to do this two more times throughout the cigar). The ash hung on about 3/4" at a time and was a light gray.

Into about the first inch some espresso notes came in and the finish was short and clean. The aroma became more sweet and was fantastic!

As I got into the middle of the cigar, the the espresso turned more chocolatey (not as much as I had on my first experience with this stick). Also, There was something on the finish that I can only describe as slightly bitter. I didn't have this the first time I had this cigar. (I'm thinking this cigar will do well with a bit of rest). The draw was just a little tighter than I had hoped it would be but not so bad I felt I needed to re-cut.

Into the last part of the cigar the aroma is still a fantastic sweet aroma, it's definitely Med in body. Lots of nice creamy smoke. The chocolate dominated this cigar. Some Leather and a little spice came in at the end. The Bitterness (on the finish) had gone away. The finish has lengthend also. No burn issues other than a slightly tight draw. It started getting a little "warm" at about the band area so I put it down then. I really like these. As I said before I think after they hang out a while they will just get better.

Comments

• Options
    Hmmmm? What the heck? Nobody? Anybody? What's wrong w/me?
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Nothin's wrong, I've been looking forward to trying these. Sounds good! This might be a good cigar to go buy a single of in a B&M.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Nothin's wrong, I've been looking forward to trying these. Sounds good! This might be a good cigar to go buy a single of in a B&M.
    PM Sent
  • Options
    kaipocruz1kaipocruz1 Posts: 61 ✭✭
    I was looking at this cigar online at the general cigar website...and it looks really nice. I wrote down on my wish list which ones to keep an eye out for and this one made the list along with the La Gloria with two wrappers and also the Jose Seigas Signature. Have you tried any of the other two?
  • Options
    I Haven't. I also wanted to try the Series R. This is the first LGC I tried (and it was by accident).
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Good review. You should do a preview - a little something about the cigar to start off with. Then a post view. A summattion of what your thinking to tie the whole review together.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Good review. You should do a preview - a little something about the cigar to start off with. Then a post view. A summattion of what your thinking to tie the whole review together.
    Got it. Thank you.
  • Options
    PM replied
  • Options
    Back to you.
  • Options
    KCW, I recently smoked the cigar you sent me and I really enjoyed it. It's appearance was absolutely gorgeous, very dark, dark brown bordering on black. The pre-light aroma was of nice tobacco, toasty and not too sweet.

The draw was a little tight for me at first as well but the burn was even and doing fine. When I got further in to the cigar the draw opened a little but still remained firm which is fine. The initial flavor was hard to identify until I got into the cigar more and was past the tiny ring gauge of the foot. Smoke began to billow and the flavor was creamy followed by a bitter dark espresso bean flavor finish.

As the cigar progressed the flavor changed to a dark, bitter chocolate like you would taste with an 85% bar over a palate of delicious tobacco. The tobacco base flavor remained for the rest of the cigar with the bitter chocolate taste on top. Some sweetness would come and go but it was never pronounced.

The bitterness you experienced and the spice at the end were not noticable in the cigar I had. I wonder if I smoked slower than you did. It also had two months more rest than yours. All in all it was a very well made, enjoyable cigar with dominant, rich tobacco flavors and bitter chocolate. No construction issues and very pleasant toasty, slightly woodsy aromas. Thank you very much for sending one my way, I appreciate it and had a great time smoking it.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    KCW, I recently smoked the cigar you sent me and I really enjoyed it. It's appearance was absolutely gorgeous, very dark, dark brown bordering on black. The pre-light aroma was of nice tobacco, toasty and not too sweet.

The draw was a little tight for me at first as well but the burn was even and doing fine. When I got further in to the cigar the draw opened a little but still remained firm which is fine. The initial flavor was hard to identify until I got into the cigar more and was past the tiny ring gauge of the foot. Smoke began to billow and the flavor was creamy followed by a bitter dark espresso bean flavor finish.

As the cigar progressed the flavor changed to a dark, bitter chocolate like you would taste with an 85% bar over a palate of delicious tobacco. The tobacco base flavor remained for the rest of the cigar with the bitter chocolate taste on top. Some sweetness would come and go but it was never pronounced.

The bitterness you experienced and the spice at the end were not noticable in the cigar I had. I wonder if I smoked slower than you did. It also had two months more rest than yours. All in all it was a very well made, enjoyable cigar with dominant, rich tobacco flavors and bitter chocolate. No construction issues and very pleasant toasty, slightly woodsy aromas. Thank you very much for sending one my way, I appreciate it and had a great time smoking it.
    Awesome! Glad you liked it. I just revisited it over the holiday weekend. No bitterness this time. I noticed a peaty flavor at first then got most of the same notes as you (esp. chocolate). Mine burnt great as well. I really like this cigar.