Home Cigar 101
Options

cap cracked during punch

AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
I was at a new B&M today and as I was paying for my stick (RP 1990 with CT wrapper), I used the punch on the counter. The cap cracked and I wasn't sure why. I thought it could have been anything from the way I used the punch to the punch being dull, to the cigar being stored improperly. It was still smokable so I didn't mention it to the owner. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    The cigar being a little dry, or a dull punch are usually the culprits. I always lick the cap and get it a little wet if I use a punch. A non-community punch because otherwise that'd just be disgusting.

I didn't know there was a version of the 1990 with a Connecticut wrapper. How was it?
  • Options
    AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    The cigar being a little dry, or a dull punch are usually the culprits. I always lick the cap and get it a little wet if I use a punch. A non-community punch because otherwise that'd just be disgusting.

I didn't know there was a version of the 1990 with a Connecticut wrapper. How was it?
    Oh, my Bad, it was actually 1999 Vintage Ct. And I loved it. My wife bought me the 1990 vintage box pressed (with the red label) and I didn't care for them. So a friend suggested I try the 1999 vintage (white label) and it was great. But I love the mild sticks.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adcurium:
    Russ55:

Oh, my Bad, it was actually 1999 Vintage Ct. And I loved it. My wife bought me the 1990 vintage box pressed (with the red label) and I didn't care for them. So a friend suggested I try the 1999 vintage (white label) and it was great. But I love the mild sticks.
    Have you tried the 1992..i enjoy the 92 much more than I did the 90..yet to try the 99 though.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I am not doubting your knowledge of how to use a punch at all, but simply twisting it as you punch will help you avoid tearing the cap as well. I always lick the cap before I cut/punch. It helps with the cut/punch a lot and it also gives you a good taste of the wrapper. It's just become part of my routine. I almost used the house cutter at my B&M after doing this though but I caught myself and ended up just using my teeth as I often do when I'm not at home. My advice, lick it and twist and you should have no problems, even if the stick is a tad dry.
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I slightly moisten the cap before punching and never have any problems. IMO the RP 1999 is the best of the vintage lines.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    smoke em if you got em:
    Adcurium:
    Russ55:

Have you tried the 1992..i enjoy the 92 much more than I did the 90..yet to try the 99 though.

Ill smoke a 92 any time ... LOVE THOSE
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    Redtailhawkoz:
    smoke em if you got em:
    Adcurium:
    Russ55:

Ill smoke a 92 any time ... LOVE THOSE

I've had a 92 in my humi for over a year and still haven't tried it due in fact that I am not a huge fan of the 90's - Maybe I'll have to light it up this weekend