Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Starting a new life, I guess

At the beginning of November, I'm starting driving school/training at Hamrick Truck Driving School in Medina, Oh. I enrolled and completed my financial aid for the program on friday (which happened to be my birthday, great birthday gift to myself!!!). I start at the crack of 7:45 am, Monday Nov, 1.

After the last 7 months that I have had, I re-evaluated my life, and how I was leading it. I came to the conclusion that I need to do something more. I just turned 24, I'm a server/bartender working in a job with no real advancement. I'm sick of 4 year college (even though I've been in it for 7 years now). My fiancee gave me the ring back and I continued to live there for another four months. In July, I left her and moved back home with my dad. A month ago, my car blew up and I'm still waiting for a call back on that. All that I really want to do is travel! I figured that would be the best way to see some things and still get paid for it.

It's funny, when you're younger, you fight and fight against certain things. My dad owns a trucking company, he drove for 20+ years and I used to fight him tooth and nail about it! I wanted nothing to do with trucking. I watched it ruin his marrage with my mother and I guess that's why I didn't want any part of that. I think I wanted a family at an early age and after being engaged once, it opened my eyes to the fact that I'm not ready for it. I might as well do something that will make me happy instead of trying to please everyone else.

Comments

• Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Definitely follow your dreams, however, I would strongly urge you to finish your college. If you complete your college education, you will always have that to fall back on...especially if you decide to have a family later on in your life. School does suck, but it will pay dividends in the long run....whether it's immediate or later in life.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Congrats on taking a positive step forward. I also found that I needed to live and experience a little of life before going to school. I tried college right out of high school and I was pretty bad at it. Now I'm in my early thirties after a decade of different jobs and I'm back in school and loving it. Just don't burn any bridges is my advice.
  • Options
    Nick2021:
    Definitely follow your dreams, however, I would strongly urge you to finish your college. If you complete your college education, you will always have that to fall back on...especially if you decide to have a family later on in your life.
    I know and I will eventually. I'm at a point with school where I'm not to sure what I really want to do. Instead of wasting time and money, spinning my wheels. I'm going to do something that I know is what I want.
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    I think it's the best way to see the country---behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler. Good vantage point. And probably the most luxurious ride to smoke a cigar while driving. With your dad having been in the business you should be able to get a good running start. Good luck!
  • Options
    Schrooz:
    I think it's the best way to see the country---behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler. Good vantage point. And probably the most luxurious ride to smoke a cigar while driving. With your dad having been in the business you should be able to get a good running start. Good luck!
    It is, I used to go on trips with my dad when I was young. The view is way better than in a car.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Education is very important, but it is not everything. I dropped out after a 2 year degree and never looked back. Sometimes you have to strike out on your own, but think it through first. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    Education is very important, but it is not everything. I dropped out after a 2 year degree and never looked back. Sometimes you have to strike out on your own, but think it through first. Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
    Very true and thank you for the advice.

My problem is that I'm an art major with a double concentration in Painting and Printmaking. I'm working on two degrees that I would not be able to do a lot with. I might be able to open my own screening shop and make t-shirts. Outside of no real discrenable future as an art major, I'm burnt out. I'm tired of feeling stuck with my life and I need to do something different until I figure out what really makes my heart go pitter-patter.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    fla-gypsy:
    Very true and thank you for the advice.

My problem is that I'm an art major with a double concentration in Painting and Printmaking. I'm working on two degrees that I would not be able to do a lot with. I might be able to open my own screening shop and make t-shirts. Outside of no real discrenable future as an art major, I'm burnt out. I'm tired of feeling stuck with my life and I need to do something different until I figure out what really makes my heart go pitter-patter.
    Good luck on the next phase of your life, hope you find what you're looking for out there!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    These Filthy Hands:
    Nick2021:
    Definitely follow your dreams, however, I would strongly urge you to finish your college. If you complete your college education, you will always have that to fall back on...especially if you decide to have a family later on in your life.
    I know and I will eventually. I'm at a point with school where I'm not to sure what I really want to do. Instead of wasting time and money, spinning my wheels. I'm going to do something that I know is what I want.

Stop spinning your wheels figurative and get out there and do it literally!

I'm a big proponent of finishing your education early, but only if you know what you want to do and what you're going to do with that degree.

I'm no therapist but right now it sounds like you've got alot of thinking to do. A stint in trucking will definitely set the stage for you to do some serious soul searching. Just don't get stuck in a rut if driving rigs isn't the future for you. Too many people get comfortable and never make the change they need. You're already doing that now, so I doubt that's a worry for you.

Be sure to keep in touch and give the regions you're driving to a heads-up for cross-country herf action. Best of luck to ya TFH!
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    With the not getting married and moving out part I just did that this weekend. I have a college degree and build cabinets. I could do that without one and be a lot less in debt. Good luck to ya.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! Doro, I'll definitly keep you all posted on where I'll be for some serious herfing. I just need to find dog-friendly smoking spots. Trucking, one of the few jobs where everyday is take your dog to work day! Worse comes to worse, I'll have a trailer and lawn chairs. Weather pending kinda herf.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    LOT LIZARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    wow man. well I wish you luck. You should always do what you want to do and not what anyone else wants you to do.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    I am all for education, but in a field that can possibly someday offer a career of some sort. You are still young and may make many career changes in your quest for finding your dream. don't get so hung up on finding that perfect job or career. Look inoto other disciplines or curriculums that you can transfer credits maybe Printing Management or Graphic Arts....(these seem to be natural fallout from what you have already taken.) But all in all I would say finish your degree in something. You have that no one can take it away and it gives you time to see other things and do some tinking about what it is you may want to do someday.
  • Options
    Well, after all this crap happened with my car, I'm forced to postpone going to driving school. My dad also brought me back in the office part time to manage a new account we recieved. I'm thinking spring 2011 for driving school for right now.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    Well, after all this crap happened with my car, I'm forced to postpone going to driving school. My dad also brought me back in the office part time to manage a new account we recieved. I'm thinking spring 2011 for driving school for right now.
    If it's meant to happen, it will happen. At least you have a job though!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Good luck to you; just remember that life is what happens when you're busy making plans. Sometimes you just gotta jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down

• Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Good luck! Theres a company in Boston called ROMAR that is hiring drivers.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Good luck! Theres a company in Boston called ROMAR that is hiring drivers.
    I'm hoping to get in with TMC right after I graduate. I want to break into flat bedding as fast as possible. We'll see what happens. I really do not want to drive van/reefer.