Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Air Rifles, Bug Out Bags, Military Gear and the Likes...

So it's been a while lol! How is everybody doing?! I hope well! I was resting for a while from the forums and cigars. I have not smoked a cigar since God knows how long. In any case - just wanted to drop a line I am alive and kicking and slowly starting to work on my little humi :)... I hope the cigars are still alive because I realized I had not cared for the humi for almost a month! No changes of humi-packs no nothing... Anyway... If they are not good... Well, I guess I can go for another round of Saw games and send them all to somebody ;) hahahah JK...

On the actual topic - I am thinking about buying an air rifle for fun and some casual plinking (and shooting in my basement) - anybody have experience with those? I am also building a Bug Out Bag too... Anybody suggest something? I am thinking about buying a MOLLE II Military Standard System, but might go with a medium Alice pack.... I want something for the bag and something for hiking - suggestions welcome! And on that note - anybody here into military gear and military surplus stuff? I am looking for some stuff, including some MREs (for the bag and for camping). If anybody happens to have a pack they'd like to trade/sell I can do that too :).. Anyway - just kind of wanted to start a topic on all this... Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back to the forums, Renaissance Man! I like Bug Out gear for backpacks, as former Army. They're durable, tough, and can hold a lot of stuff. I would also suggest getting Seirus All-weather gloves if you're going somewhere cold. As far as MREs go, military surplus stores have them. But avoid the damn Cheese Omelot MRE like the plague, man. It tastes like pre-cooked powdered sponge. I actually threw it on an ant bed and watchex those suckers go AROUND the omelot.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    I would go with the alice instead of the molle. The molle did'nt last to long as the service pack for the Marines due to too many issues with durability and ease of use. Alice is a tried and true performer, built to last and pack.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    hey dude,
    I'm into air rifles in quite a big way, and go all over my country shooting comps, if you ever have any questions just shoot me a pm(pun intended ;p)
    few questions for you.
    how do you want it powered,
    spring- you have to *** it each shot, you get a bit of recoil that is awkward to control, its very differnt to recoil on a bullet gun, its more of a shake than a thud back into your shoulder, so to be accurate with them you have to have a consistent hold. plus side is there's no messing with divers tanks or ongoing costs to charge it up, they are also relatively cheap.
    pre-charged pneumatic (pcp)-have to fill a tank of air up either from a divers bottle [scuba tank] or use a pump. no recoil, but you have the hassle of either traveling to a shop to get your tank filled up every couple of months of pumping the gun up with an air rifle equivalent of a bicycle pump.
    co2-you get canisters of co2 that screw into the gun but the cost adds up quite quick and they are effected dramatically by any temperature changes.
    single stroke pneumatic not sure if this gun has even been released in the states yet, you get all the benefits of the spring gun without the recoil, heels like a pcp to fire.

atb
    sol
  • Options
    lol the word that got filtered out is another word for something that rhymes with henis,
    its just pulling a handle to compress the spring.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Thanks for the advice boys! I did get a MOLLE II pack with the latest gen frame which is supposed to be better when it comes to endurance. My main reason for the purchase was the weight (compared to a rather heavier large Alice) and also the fact that I could purchase it "new" rather than beat up old ;). I am planning on getting an Alice eventually but will have to buy on the spot as I don't trust what condition it will arrive in if I order it online. We'll see how the packs fair. I also found a decent place for MREs that are fresh and will definitely avoid the omelet! Even the thought of it makes me want to puke. No omelet can last 3 years... Anyhow.

That's really cool abt the rifles, Sol!!! Have you won any competitions? It's funny that you get censored when you talk about cocking. :)) From what you say - it seems I'd rather go for a PCP rifle, but I gather those are more expensive? I kind of want to shoot at stuff in my basement and backyard. Its pretty strict here in NY. I'll be alright with a pump, but don't want to have to depend to go to a store for a re-fill.. Otherwise all of these rifles can shoot the same type of pellets, right? I was thinking maybe this for starters (I know I need to *** it ;)) - http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=401802&pdesc=Crosman_Phantom_1000_177_Break_Action_Air_Rifle_With_4_x_32_Scope&aID=512B1&merchID=4006
  • Options
    wow. i just looked at the price in the states of the rifle i was going to recomend and its double what i was exspecting:o
    was going to say that the air arms s410 is the perfect starter pcp rifle, but its over 1200 bucks, over here it would be about 500-600.
    that gun you sugested would be a good gun for a bit of fun, ive shot one over here and its a bit 'ruff and ready' but its still fun.

ive won quite a few comps, mainly pistols though. my book case has more trophies on than books;)
    this is my air rifle
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Beautiful. Is that stock by Fajen?

Marty

• Options
    Its a gary cane stock, the gun has a computor in it that adjusts the speed the pellet comes out at to what i set it to, to the nearest fps. It then adjusts to temp and humidty to keep things constant.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! In-godd@mn-credible.

Marty

• Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    sol1821:
    Its a gary cane stock, the gun has a computor in it that adjusts the speed the pellet comes out at to what i set it to, to the nearest fps. It then adjusts to temp and humidty to keep things constant.
    Damn boy! That's a mighty good-looking gun and piece of tech! But yeah - I don't want to be spending lots of money on an air rifle... I'd rather get a Ruger 10/22 if I'm going in that price range...