Home Cigar 101

putting entire box in humidor

i just got a box of Rocky Patel Vintage 92 perfectos, and i'm excited to give them a try. i threw the whole box in my 75 cigar humi, with all the rest of my cigars and the humidity fell to 60% and in the past couple of days has made it back up to around 62-64% is it good practice to put the whole box in the humi, or should i take them outta the box, any suggestions guys...

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its considered by many to be good. Its called "box aging"

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Agreed. I like to keep my cigars in the box if possible. If for no other reason, it will really help to keep them from getting damaged in the humidor shuffle.
  • CastleCrestCastleCrest Posts: 51
    It is the prefered method of storage.
    Unless the box is not made of wood (cedar prefered)
    Card board & pressed paper boxes will cause cigars to taste musty over time.

The real catch all of catch alls -
    To store a box of Tubed cigars in the box for 10+ years.
    The tube & box help to preserve the flavor.
    I've smoked some 20 year old tubed cigars that have knocked my socks off. Both in strength & flavor!
    sackerma:
    i just got a box of Rocky Patel Vintage 92 perfectos,

I'm not sure - Vintage 92 are they already a 16 year old cigar.

I wonder - are these cigars rolled with tobacco that is 10 years old
    or are these cigars rolled 10 years ago.
    A difference to me - the latter having had the chance for the oils to marry in the cigar.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i thought that the vintage year in this cigar was refering to the year the crop of tobacco was harvested.

when the tobacco was made into the cigar is a different story.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I believe you are right. Rocky Patel hasn't been around for 16 years, I don't think. Wasn't it last year when he put out the Decade? That was for his 10 year anniversary.
    I have no idea???
    Personally I call a cigar Vintage after 10 years of aging.
    That would be from the time it was rolled.
    But that isn't the cigars name - it could be a vintage what'ever!
    I've smoked a few Rocky Patels but that was years ago.
    I did meet the man at a cigar event I went to with Alex.

Now I need to know!!!!!
    CC
    OK here is some info:

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 Cigars

The Rocky Patel 1992 Vintage is a true medium-bodied smoke with a nutty aroma and hits or spice on the tongue. The 1992 Vintage features refinements and zest from a 10-year-old Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper united with underlying balance from 8-year-old filler tobaccos. This cigar boasts a bit more flavor than its 1990 counterpart. The result is a highly renowned, highly rated cigar with complexity befitting the most discerning palate, making this line one of the most popular cigars of today.

• Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    • Binder: Nicaragua
    • Filler: Dominican Republic / Nicaraguan
    • Handmade in: Honduras

Seems only the wrapper is aged 10 years.
    As well as 8 year old fillers.

Looks like it is made of strong tobacco that would stand up to years of aging.

I'd bet these cigars could easily age for another 10 years.
    But having never smoked one - I couldn't say???

Are they strong smokes????
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    CC,

I wouldn't say they are strong but they are on the fuller side of medium. I'll give you a little history on both of the Vintage Lines from RP. Rocky bought aged tobacco from a defunct cigar line(I believe a General line) the tobacco he purchased was harvested in 1990 and 1992 making them at the time 12 and 10 years old respectively. He mixed this tobacco with tobacco no younger than 8 years old to create the two Vintage lines.

Also, oddly, the Decade took longer than expected to come out and wasn't actually released on RP's 10th anniversary. I believe their 10th anniversary was actually in 2004.