Home Non Cigar Related

Is this true?

fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
I picked this up off of a cigar blog and am womdering if my Canadian bros know anything about it.

"A Cigar and a Tobacco Leaf Are One and the Same.
Premium Cigars are hand made with natural tobacco leaves and lots of skill. There aren't any additional additives, other than natural tree sap glue. Yet under a proposed litter law in Ontario Canada, if you throw out a cigar or cigar butt along or adjacent to a highway you will be fined from $2,000 to $3,000 Canadian dollars. If a tobacco plant growing alongside the same highway drops a leaf, nothing happens. Both the cigar and the tobacco leaf decompose at the same time, yet cigar smokers get punished for discarding this natural leaf. Even more ironic is that the criminal offense for possession of less than 30 grams of Marijuana in Canada carries a $1,000 fine, substantially less than that for discarding a cigar."

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I wouldn't doubt it. A lot of forest fires are caused by discarded cigs and gars so I dont have a problem with the regs. If the regs were put in purely for littering then ya, its dumb but if they are looking into fires and other issues then I think its OK.

it does seem pretty steep.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I didn't even know this, I smoke a lot in my vehicle and toss out the window....
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Diamondog:
    I didn't even know this, I smoke a lot in my vehicle and toss out the window....
    It is one of those laws which is there but never enforced. It isn't just cigars either. It is a littering law. If you litter you can be subjected to a fine of up to $2000. Where Diamondog lives it is practically all city, so in his case there is little to worry about, throwing his cigar out the window.

Where I live it is all trees and wilderness. If you were to throw a butt out here... forest fire.

As far as comparing this law to the pot laws... can't be done. For one thing every province handles MJ laws differently. In Alberta 30 grams would get you a very stiff fine, same as in NFLD. Here in BC 30 grams could easily be spilled out onto the side of the road by the cop to save him some paperwork. If it did go to court, a small fine is all that would likely occur.

In general though, yes we don't look at pot as the Devil Weed quite the same way many in the States do. BTW... Pot is also 100% natural ;)