Home Ratings & Reviews

Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela

docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
ARTURO FUENTE FLOR FINA 8-5-8 CANDELA
6x47

This is a first for me. A candela wrapped cigar. I have never smoked one myself, and have honestly not read much about them either. I know that at one point in time the Candela wrapper was enormously popular in America, but today only a very select few manufacturers even offer a cigar with a Candela wrapper. Recently there has been a little buzz about this unique leaf, so I decided to give one a shot. The AF FF 8-5-8 Candela is a fairly inexpensive cigar, weighing in at just over $5.00 US at my local, and on many websites. It features a fantastic olive green wrapper, with a slick velvet feel to it, reminiscent of many Connecticut shade wrappers in terms of feel, but ultimately very different. There are almost no veins on the entire length of this cigar. The filler seems perfectly bunched, and is even from one end to the other. The body of the cigar has a somewhat fruit like smell, while the foot gives off a grassy, mild tobacco aroma. The cold draw is just slightly loose, evidence of that great Fuente construction we all know and love. There is a heavy grass flavor, with a mild peppery finish present on the pre-light draw. It reminds me of very young tobacco, but without any "sick" qualities, and an added pepper complexity. Very interesting.

Rest of the review is on the site, SMOKE INTO OBLIVION

Comments

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Funny you just did this review. I picked up the maduro and natural wrapper...I passed on the green wrapper. But they were $5 each, so I picked those up...hope they are good.

Always love reading reviews..
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    They are all good, yes. Try the Candela if you see them again. I promise that even if you don't love it, the flavor is unique enough to be worth a try.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i like this cigar in all the wrappers. this group of cigars can really showcase the wrapper. no many companies have such similar fillers with different fillers. trying all three in one days time (candela, natural, maduro in that order) will really help you understand how much impact the wrapper has on a cigar.

usually a 3 cigar day ends up as a good day so even if you dont care about the difference... do it anyway. itll be fun at worst.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    i enjoyed the review. i would like to try one some day.
  • Thanks for the review - will have to give this a try sometime and see what I think.  The flavors do sounds interesting - I just re-read the review and didn't see whether or not you came out really liking it?

Good stuff!