Home General Discussion
Options

Secret Santa?- CLOSED. MOVED TO T,P & B

lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
Would anyone be interested in participating?

It would work something like this..... Everyone interested would submit their names to me. I'd randomly pair people up. Then, using a Secret Santa profile, you'd log on and ask your "kid" what they want for Christmas. $25 minimum. If enough people are interested, I'll post a thread in the Trades, Passes and Bombs section....... (Need an even # of people)
Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Another way to do this would be how kuzi did it a couple years ago, and that is for everyone to submit their info and what they want at the same time, and you just turn around and pass it all along to the gifter. That way there's no need to create new accounts to ask what your person wants. Just a thought.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    I'm assuming cigars here. Also, you would need to clarify the $25. Is it the single price of the cigar? Box price? etc. Sound like a good idea and I don't see why I wouldn't be in.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Sign me up.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    However it works I would be in!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Another way to do this would be how kuzi did it a couple years ago, and that is for everyone to submit their info and what they want at the same time, and you just turn around and pass it all along to the gifter. That way there's no need to create new accounts to ask what your person wants. Just a thought.
    here is the link to last years holiday pass: Click and here is the link from the year before: Click

lilwing, if you are ok with running the show this year om ok with that as well. if not, ill be glad to do it again this year.
    this post gets earlier every year. next year someone will post it on the 4th of july.

i was gunna wait till november 1st to bring this up and signup would close on thanksgiving. shipping would begin the fist week of december and end the week before Xmas.

my heart is not broken if you wanna take over. it is a bit of work (not too much though)

the $25 minimum is not a bad idea... last year it was in the spirit of $30 for the main gift plus cigars. i was thinking of upping it to $40 plus cigars. that opens up a new range of things to hand out.

anyway... like i said, im open for just about anything. shoot me a PM if you dont feel like discussing this on this thread.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    I was just thinking about this and how much fun it was last year. I'm interested buy will need to know all of the final details before I committ. A big thanks to whoever decides to run this because bit of work or not it's still time away from other things like smoking a good cigar.
  • Options
    RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Im down on this. Sounds like fun.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    here is the link to last years holiday pass: Click and here is the link from the year before: Click

lilwing, if you are ok with running the show this year om ok with that as well. if not, ill be glad to do it again this year.
    this post gets earlier every year. next year someone will post it on the 4th of july.

i was gunna wait till november 1st to bring this up and signup would close on thanksgiving. shipping would begin the fist week of december and end the week before Xmas.

my heart is not broken if you wanna take over. it is a bit of work (not too much though)

the $25 minimum is not a bad idea... last year it was in the spirit of $30 for the main gift plus cigars. i was thinking of upping it to $40 plus cigars. that opens up a new range of things to hand out.

anyway... like i said, im open for just about anything. shoot me a PM if you dont feel like discussing this on this thread.
    I'm cool with taking this over...... The rules I came up with are similar to yours:

1. The requirement for this year's Secret Santa 2010 gift exchange will be a 3 stick, $25 total value, minimum, there is no set maximum dollar amount or stick limit. Keep in mind that your Secret Santa is only required to spend the minimum on your gift as well, and may choose to do so. If this is the case, do not get upset and post, or PM, your dissatisfaction, but accept your gift graciously and thank your Secret Santa accordingly.

Please use your "best judgment" when choosing cigars to give. Obviously, if someone wishes for a super premium $25 dollar stick then you're only obligated to get one stick, not the 3 stick minimum. PM me if you're not sure.

2. If a problem arises and you cannot participate after the names have been drawn, please notify me as soon as possible so I can make adjustments.

3. Post a teaser, subject = "your kids name", in the Secret Santa 2019 thread area by signing on with the email and password that I give out to you via PM. (please only use this account for this thread)

In these threads is where all the fun occurs. Using the Secret Santa ID, “SectretSanta”, you can ask your kid what he wants for Christmas, and then notify them of shipment. Others can join in on the fun as well offering up their own ideas of what Santa should bring your kid for Christmas. Remember, it doesn’t have to be cigars only. Kids can also use this thread to notify Santa when their gift arrives and thank Santa for his generosity.

4. Please use a method of mailing that has a tracking number or delivery confirmation number.

If there is a problem with your package in transit please notify me ASAP.

5. Notify me, via PM, when your kid’s package is sent.

6. Most of all, enjoy yourself and have fun!
  • Options
    Wing sounds confusing to me....I've got to sign in using another screen name? Not a fan of this idea. I understand the concept but think that it will be harder for us to follow.....us being the lazy ones. Sounds like double the work with PM's and messages on the forums but these are just my thoughts. Not trying to shoot down the holiday spirit because I really enjoyed this last year. Thinking ahead to when things will be busier for everyone during the holidays & simple might be better???

Oh and is this just a pass for cigars with the min amount being $25 or are we doing cigar related items as well? Cigars are great and I love getting them! On the other hand I thought it was really cool to get other gifts related to cigars last year. There were some really cool gifts that went out. Once again not trying to ruin the fun just asking for clarification.
  • Options
    RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Sandman1am:
    Wing sounds confusing to me....I've got to sign in using another screen name? Not a fan of this idea. I understand the concept but think that it will be harder for us to follow.....us being the lazy ones. Sounds like double the work with PM's and messages on the forums but these are just my thoughts. Not trying to shoot down the holiday spirit because I really enjoyed this last year. Thinking ahead to when things will be busier for everyone during the holidays & simple might be better???

Oh and is this just a pass for cigars with the min amount being $25 or are we doing cigar related items as well? Cigars are great and I love getting them! On the other hand I thought it was really cool to get other gifts related to cigars last year. There were some really cool gifts that went out. Once again not trying to ruin the fun just asking for clarification.
    I think he is going to creat an account Called "SecretSanta" and password and every one uses this account to post just for this pass.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I like the way we did it last year. But I am definitely down to do this again this year. As soon as we get the rules ironed out, I'm in! Oh, and this year, it shouldn't take a month for my package to make it (sorry Beta!) because I'll be stateside!
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Marty... Not to shoot down your idea, but this setup seems pretty confusing. I can also see some conflicts occurring if we're all trying to utilize a single "Secret Santa" account. I think the way Kuzi set it up last year worked pretty effectively - maybe you should look into that?
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    This is probably my favorite thing offered on this forum but I agree with the other gents that I like the kuzi method with the gift + sticks
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    This sounds like a great way to end the year with some fun! I am definitely in. Please be sure to post or PM when the details get hammered out.

• Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    ejenne87:
    I like the way we did it last year. But I am definitely down to do this again this year. As soon as we get the rules ironed out, I'm in! Oh, and this year, it shouldn't take a month for my package to make it (sorry Beta!) because I'll be stateside!

+1 Last year was awesome ...... I'd like to see the gift be 30 and then a 3 stick minimum ...... and just roll similar to last year instead of saying i want a colibri man o war cutter and stick x y and z ..... instead it should be i could use a new ashtray or cutter ...... thats the main gift and then they get a few sticks....... come on guys ..... everyone here is creative and knows how to locate a great deal ...... i spent 3.00 more than our limit last year and really lambasted my victim ........... LOL Iam down either way .... just hope we can wrinkle out the kinks
  • Options
    I guess I need to clarify a few things. Here goes......

As far as the signing on under the Secret Santa account, it's pretty simple. I already set up the account using my own email. When I get all the participants and assign them to their respective "kids" I will PM everyone involved with the email and password to use the ghost account. You will also get your "kid". You will then log on and in the "Secret Santa 2010" thread in the Trades Passes and Bombs section, post your kid's name in the subject line and ask what he wants for X-mas. As the receiver of the gift, you won't know who your santa is and you get to specify what you want. This way you don't need to come up with a list of "wants" and "don't wants" and you can mail the gift directly to your kid. I'll have already provided everyone with shipping info for the kids. It'll start to make sense once it's all set up and gets going.

Does that help?

I'm also open to upping the amount. But I think we all know that most of us are more generous anyways, so that $25 is more of a suggestion.... LOL!

And you can ask for more than just cigars........ You can ask for accessories or anything else non-cigar related, just keep it as close to the minimum as possible (oh, and we're all on the hook for our own shipping costs and can't factor them into the total amount).

Trust me. It'll be fun once it gets going.

So, PM me if you're in or if you have anymore questions. Include your real name and address in the PM......
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    You will then log on and in the "Secret Santa 2010" thread in the Trades Passes and Bombs section, post your kid's name in the subject line and ask what he wants for X-mas. As the receiver of the gift, you won't know who your santa is and you get to specify what you want. This way you don't need to come up with a list of "wants" and "don't wants" and you can mail the gift directly to your kid.

isnt that just a list of wants also?
    lilwing88:
    I'm also open to upping the amount. But I think we all know that most of us are more generous anyways, so that $25 is more of a suggestion.... LOL!

And you can ask for more than just cigars........ You can ask for accessories or anything else non-cigar related, just keep it as close to the minimum as possible (oh, and we're all on the hook for our own shipping costs and can't factor them into the total amount).

So, PM me if you're in or if you have anymore questions. Include your real name and address in the PM......
    in years past people would get a gift in the spirit of $30 and then get a crazy amount of sticks. i know that in the past i have personally received at least $100 worth of stuff. I also know that last year i sent out one cigar that was in the $30 range on top of the 5 other cigars and the gift. so... to say $25 is a bit on the low end.

im not trying to bust your chops or anything, but logging on to a different account and having to post on the open forum to find out what the person you are sending gifts to wants seems a bit more than it needs to be.

the last two years when people signed up to be a part of this (via pm) they would also pm me a list of potential gifts, and a list of things they dont want no matter what. when i distributed the names all that info was included.

Iduno...im not trying to run the show but the presented way seems a bit more complex then it needs to be.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    lilwing88:
    You will then log on and in the "Secret Santa 2010" thread in the Trades Passes and Bombs section, post your kid's name in the subject line and ask what he wants for X-mas. As the receiver of the gift, you won't know who your santa is and you get to specify what you want. This way you don't need to come up with a list of "wants" and "don't wants" and you can mail the gift directly to your kid.

isnt that just a list of wants also?

In a sense yea. But this is the fun of it. People can see what your wishing for and chime in with suggestions and jokes. Like, for instance, if I wish for the box set of the Twilight series, I expect some ball-busting. LOL!
    lilwing88:

in years past people would get a gift in the spirit of $30 and then get a crazy amount of sticks. i know that in the past i have personally received at least $100 worth of stuff. I also know that last year i sent out one cigar that was in the $30 range on top of the 5 other cigars and the gift. so... to say $25 is a bit on the low end.

im not trying to bust your chops or anything, but logging on to a different account and having to post on the open forum to find out what the person you are sending gifts to wants seems a bit more than it needs to be.

the last two years when people signed up to be a part of this (via pm) they would also pm me a list of potential gifts, and a list of things they dont want no matter what. when i distributed the names all that info was included.

Iduno...im not trying to run the show but the presented way seems a bit more complex then it needs to be.
    Like I said, we could up the minimum to $30 and we all know that extra cigars always find their way into these gifts. So, I don't think anyone will be disappointed with their gifts. It's definitely more complicated than your system, but it also adds a little sh** talking to the mix.

If everyone really wants to do it your way, that's cool. I'm not tryin to step on any toes, I just really like doin this stuff.
  • Options
    Goldy:
    This is probably my favorite thing offered on this forum but I agree with the other gents that I like the kuzi method with the gift + sticks
    +1 and I like the KIS (Keep It Simple) method.
  • Options
    Since everyone seems to want to do it the way it's been done before, I will either graciously bow out from organizing it this year and let kuzi do it, or if kuzi wants I'll organize it using his format..... kuzi, it's your baby, so I'll let you decide....... no hard feelings.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    I'm totally in on this. Last year was great fun!
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    Since everyone seems to want to do it the way it's been done before, I will either graciously bow out from organizing it this year and let kuzi do it, or if kuzi wants I'll organize it using his format..... kuzi, it's your baby, so I'll let you decide....... no hard feelings.
    as said before... im good either way. if you wanna do it... bay all means...

if not... ok
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    lilwing88:
    as said before... im good either way. if you wanna do it... bay all means...

if not... ok
    I'll do it no problem..... and I'll go with your rules...... I'll post a thread in TP&B.... Thanks!