Home General Discussion
Options

Tony Borhani - Bahia

Has anybody had these before. I was at a little event tonight at a local B&M more for networking in investments and mortgages with friends but ended up last one to leave talking with the owner and he told me he had 18yr old cigars. its a 1989 vintage Bahia and he gave me one. not sure i want to smoke it anytime soon since its so rare. Curious if anyone else has had one this old or tried this line in general.

Comments

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    From what I understand, Bahia was one of the "big" names during the cigar boom of the late 80's, early 90's time frame. Not sure what happened along the way, but at the present time they are a budget stick and pretty lightly regarded.

As to whether or not the stick you were given is a "vintage" Bahia, or whether the blend has changed from "back in the day" til now (or even what happened to the brand between then & now to cause them to go from "player"status to "also-ran", Im going to have to leave to the more longer-tenured BOTL around here. Perhaps a pic of the stick you were given would help.

The only one Ive had so far is the Bahia Blu. Ive had two - first was AWESOME, and I thought I had found a diamond in the rough. The second one was horrible, so some more research is gonna be needed.

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    From what I understand, Bahia's fall from grace involved Tony Borhani and the Founder of Cigar Aficionado magazine in the mid-90's. What I've been told was that Bahia was a king of the cigar boom - bigger than Rocky, Gurkha, any of them are now. They hadn't received a single sub-90 point rating from C.A.. At a certain point, they were releasing a majorly hyped new cigar, and threw a big gala for it. At the gala, Tony Borhani picked up the latest issue of C.A. and found that the cigar had been rated something like an 87 - his subsequent loud and expletive-filled reaction in the middle of the gala, directed towards the Founder, resulted in Bahia never receiving another score above 85 for several years - considering the popularity of Cigar Aficionado magazine, especially at the time, this plummeted Bahia's sales.

Only in the past couple of years had Bahia really come back into strength, and I for one have smoked quite a few exceptional cigars from their latest releases. I say, smoke the stick and let us know your thoughts! If you don't want it, I'll take it and let ya know mine ;-).
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    i deff want to smoke it. but considering its 18yrs old i kinda want to wait. The owner of the B&M gave it to me out of his personal stock that he bought 18yrs ago.
  • Options
    RaschNuts:
    i deff want to smoke it. but considering its 18yrs old i kinda want to wait. The owner of the B&M gave it to me out of his personal stock that he bought 18yrs ago.
    Totally your call Rasch, but in my experience people dont gift cigars so they can hear how awesome it looks in your humidor or to show off. Personally, when I gift one the best part of it (other than the knowledge that I put a smile one someone's face of course) is when they come back to me some time later and let me know what they thought of it!

• Options
    The Sniper:
    RaschNuts:
    Totally your call Rasch, but in my experience people dont gift cigars so they can hear how awesome it looks in your humidor or to show off. Personally, when I gift one the best part of it (other than the knowledge that I put a smile one someone's face of course) is when they come back to me some time later and let me know what they thought of it!

True. This one will prob go up sunday after i complete a class i need to take to get my DL back
  • Options
    Vince_OVince_O Posts: 281 ✭✭
    its my every day go to smoke, I love the maduro, the old ones made in coasta Rico were fantastic, but the new ones from Nicaragua are just fine by me , I dont care as much for the blu as the trinidids ( a sort of orane band) but the red band maduro is on top of my BANG for the buck list at 40 bucks a bundle retail you cant beat it , so if you have an Orginal, sit down , pour a nice highland malt whisky a cup of strong black coffee 7 put on some jazz, take the phone off the hook & tell the boss not to disturb you for a few hours ! Enjoy, Vince
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only one I've tried so far is the blu. I think it's a good solid cigar and I've reordered a few times. From time to time there may be a burn issue, but with any hand made, that can happen.
  • Options
    so i smoked this stick last night. What a great stick. Burn was excellent ashed twice. Quick smoke only an hr or so. Nice simple flavors a bit nutty with a subtle peach flavor. Really good.
  • Options
    RaschNuts:
    so i smoked this stick last night. What a great stick. Burn was excellent ashed twice. Quick smoke only an hr or so. Nice simple flavors a bit nutty with a subtle peach flavor. Really good.
    Make sure you rave about it to your friend at the B&M who gave it to you. Glad it was a good experience for you!

• Options
    The Sniper:
    RaschNuts:
    Make sure you rave about it to your friend at the B&M who gave it to you. Glad it was a good experience for you!

Tuesdays they are there till 8 i planned on going tonight. Gonna bring him an RP Prodigy since he doesnt have access to them and let him know how great it was.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Just read through this thread as for some reason I was thinking of thse sticks last night, and I see today the ICON is on the DD.

I dont know if anyone else remembers, or had the same experience, but about 10 years ago I bought a box of the original Bahia Trinidad, just as the brand was starting to struggle. It was, and via memory and my dossier, one of the more unique sticks I smoked and still a favorite of mine. Whatever the reason, its a d@mn shame what happened to the company, because there were some real gems here and at decent prices as well. Also had some limited release stuff that was absurdly good through Corona Cigar in Orlando. If I could find some old b&m with stock of unopened boxes just collecting dust, I would be all over these babies. Sail On Bahia.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I believe the brand is not as popular it used to be but this is a good value cigar. I tried couple of them. The Bahia Vintage 1998 was the most popular blends. there is a loyal group of Bahia and no matter what they will will smoke this brand.
    RaschNuts:
    Has anybody had these before. I was at a little event tonight at a local B&M more for networking in investments and mortgages with friends but ended up last one to leave talking with the owner and he told me he had 18yr old cigars. its a 1989 vintage Bahia and he gave me one. not sure i want to smoke it anytime soon since its so rare. Curious if anyone else has had one this old or tried this line in general.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about the one you've got but I love the red label. Never had a bad one yet as a matter of fact i've got 2 left from a bundle of 10 sitting in the bottom of my humi.
  • Options
    I had a wonderful Bahia from a variety pack I ordered from CI, Maduro red label, then I ordered a bundle of the same, this was totally different , harsh, terrible, I feel cheated..
  • Options
    casircasir Posts: 1
    I first came aross the trinidads about 1996-1997 in chicago at around the world tobacco in lakeview. I liked the the orange band and the texture and decided to buy one. It immediately became my favorite. They were often out of stock but I would regularly check for them. I did not see them available for years and I just ordered some trinidad belicosos. I hope they are any where good as I remember.
  • Options
    RevPhilRevPhil Posts: 1
    Bahia Red is one of my favorites.  The original maduros were made by Toni Borhani at the Tabacalera Tambor factory in Costa Rica.  This was also the factory chosen to make the famous Hoja Cubana Yellow Lable cigars!  Those were absolutely great and I had the opportunity to several times meet the original creator and master roller of that line that came from Cuba.  He later stayed in the USA to market the Yellow Labels while his brother and son (if I remember correctly) went to the factory in Costa Rica to oversee the production.  Too bad they are no longer produced.  The Bahia Reds do not compare, but they are a good runner up!  Just before writing this I smoked one on my front deck while also enjoying a good margarita!  The Reds are full of flavor and come about as close to the Yellows as you are probably going to find today!  I also enjoy the Bahia Blues, but the flavor is completely different and the Red Maduros beat them hands down!