Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar Vacuum

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
I was reading (imagine that) and saw that one of the ways cigar makers control beetles is by putting their cigars in a vacuum. One thing they can't stand is pressure, so I was wondering if putting them in a vacuum ziploc bag and sucking the air out is safer vs putting a cigar in a freezer for a couple of days...thoughts?

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I like the idea.

• Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Krieg:
    I was reading (imagine that) and saw that one of the ways cigar makers control beetles is by putting their cigars in a vacuum. One thing they can't stand is pressure, so I was wondering if putting them in a vacuum ziploc bag and sucking the air out is safer vs putting a cigar in a freezer for a couple of days...thoughts?

Hmmmmm I have a Food Vacuum...... I love the Idea.......
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea. Beats having to go through the different stages for freezing.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    Vacuum seal bags suck all the air out of a bag but the contents are not under any different pressure inside vs outside.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    jihiggs:
    Vacuum seal bags suck all the air out of a bag but the contents are not under any different pressure inside vs outside.

Not true, put a marshmallow in a vacuum canister and watch how large it gets. Only thing i would be worried about would be in a vacuum there is no moisture. When you evacuate a A/C system, its taking ALL moisture out of the system so there would be no rust. I would think vacuuming your sticks would do the same thing.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    firetruckguy:
    jihiggs:

Not true, put a marshmallow in a vacuum canister and watch how large it gets. Only thing i would be worried about would be in a vacuum there is no moisture. When you evacuate a A/C system, its taking ALL moisture out of the system so there would be no rust. I would think vacuuming your sticks would do the same thing.
    It's actually lack of pressure, if you have a bell jar that you can hook up a vacuum to, stick a glass of water in there and start pumping out the air. After a while the water will appear to boil. Hey my high school chemistry finally became useful!
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know about this but I think I'll wait until Kuzi checks in on it. He seems to know all this kind of s#it and he's given me some good answers in the past.

Marty