Home Cigar 101
Options

How long can you keep cigars?

I was just wondering with the right temp. and RH in your humi, how long can one keep their sticks?  Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I don't know as much as guys like j0z3r, kuzi, or cabi, but from what I've learned so far, it really depends on the type of wrapper leaf is on it. Connies have less oil than any other cigar, so it would go past its prime a lot faster than others. The best cigars for aging are usually maduros and habanos because there's a lot more oil. I've heard of maduros and habanos aging for 5 to 9 years and still being good. Connies? I don't think they would be any good beyond 2 or 3 years.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Don't listen to wwhwang - the guy doesn't know a thing about cigars.

The truth is, cigars only last about 2 weeks, a month at the most - beyond that, they turn bad. Now, since you're a newbie to the forum, I'll help you out with this problem - just send them to me (I'll even pay for postage) and I'll get rid of them for you. Why take up space in your garbage can when you can just drop them in the mailbox?
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I have some Partegas 150 in a natural wrapper, rolled in 1995 (or '96). Still quite tasty.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    In theory, a cigar can be good indefinitely if kept up on (proper humidity and temp). The cigar will still "smoke" even after 100 years.
    . In practice, a cigar is a 100% natural (organic in some cases) product. There are no preservatives. This means that from the moment the leaves are picked they begin to break down. How the breaking down process is controlled is up to us and this is what makes a cigar good/bad. This breaking down of the oils in the cigar is what makes it less harsh. Eventually you will get to a point where there is nothing left( none of the good essential oils in a cigar) to break down or it has broken down too far. I don’t know why you would want to, but you can “over age” a cigar. this will leave the cigar very bland.

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Well said Kuzi...also, many cigars are aged prior to being shipped---depending on the brand of course. Most sticks, for most palates, wont notice much of a difference from one month or year to the next---again I say MOST people

As a side note, some sticks do age better, but it kinda gets me a little curious when C.A. magazine or one of the other "know all's" in cigars talk about these great sticks they have and have been aging for 172 years and they could still use another 50. I know this is an exagerration, but I think for MOST cigars a few months to a year or 2 (save Cubans of course) are plenty long enough.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I agree with my more knowledgable brothers on this and think you can take it to far but it really is dependant on the individual sticks. I have smoked some that were not as good after aging for a year as they were after a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about when the tobacco has been aged for long periods before even being rolled into cigars? I seem to recall that tobacco used in the Cusano 18, for example, has been aged for 18 years prior to rolling.

Wouldn't you have to consider this in the equation?

Incidentally, the Cusano 18 is a damn fine smoke IMHO.

Marty

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    jlmarta:
    What about when the tobacco has been aged for long periods before even being rolled into cigars? I seem to recall that tobacco used in the Cusano 18, for example, has been aged for 18 years prior to rolling.

Marty

In this case, I think humi time will give the leaves time to marry in order to achieve better balance. Have not had a Cusano 18. Might have to get my hands on one.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    jlmarta:

Marty

In this case, I think humi time will give the leaves time to marry in order to achieve better balance. Have not had a Cusano 18. Might have to get my hands on one.
    exactly.

the tobacco will be smother, but the cigar may not age as well because of so much age on the tobacco before rolling.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Should ask Vince O, I think he's got some 40-50 year old cigars! ;) lol

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've got one that just turned 18... I will smoke it on it's 21st birthday.
  • Options
    I had an Opus X torp that was in my box for 4 years. Smoked it while on vacation and it is one of my top 3 cigars. As long as the temp and humidity is on the money they can last for years.