Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Kindle 3

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Just got myself a Kindle (the 3G one), and have been trying it out lately. First just lemme say, I REALLY didn't want to like this thing; I've never liked DRM, and the fact that Amazon forces every publisher they deal with to use their personal format and not the more popular epub format, always rubbed me the wrong way. I was looking seriously at the Sony PRS-650 and to a lesser extent, the e-readers that Copia is getting ready to release soon. But I passed on them because I really wanted 3G and the ability to buy books wirelessly - something Copia and Sony couldn't offer (seriously, what the hell is with Sony being unable to stick 3G or Wi-fi into an ereader that costs $40 more than a Kindle?!)

So I broke down and got one - and I love it. Font is great, page turns are quick, and the ability to buy books wirelessly, and download newspapers is really cool (downside: I subscribe to the WSJ print & online, but Amazon wants $15/month for me to get a Kindle version? Hell no!)

With cigars, there's no more fussing over page turning, no more wind blowing the page into my cigar and knocking the ash off - all in all, it's great. Also, one other thing: I'm a huge manga fan, and with a program called Mangle, the Kindle renders all my manga downloads beautifully; no more being tied to my computer to read the latest releases, now I can bring them along with me.

Comments

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Just got myself a Kindle (the 3G one), and have been trying it out lately. First just lemme say, I REALLY didn't want to like this thing; I've never liked DRM, and the fact that Amazon forces every publisher they deal with to use their personal format and not the more popular epub format, always rubbed me the wrong way. I was looking seriously at the Sony PRS-650 and to a lesser extent, the e-readers that Copia is getting ready to release soon. But I passed on them because I really wanted 3G and the ability to buy books wirelessly - something Copia and Sony couldn't offer (seriously, what the hell is with Sony being unable to stick 3G or Wi-fi into an ereader that costs $40 more than a Kindle?!)

So I broke down and got one - and I love it. Font is great, page turns are quick, and the ability to buy books wirelessly, and download newspapers is really cool (downside: I subscribe to the WSJ print & online, but Amazon wants $15/month for me to get a Kindle version? Hell no!)

With cigars, there's no more fussing over page turning, no more wind blowing the page into my cigar and knocking the ash off - all in all, it's great. Also, one other thing: I'm a huge manga fan, and with a program called Mangle, the Kindle renders all my manga downloads beautifully; no more being tied to my computer to read the latest releases, now I can bring them along with me.
    I bought the 2nd gen for my wife last year for Xmas. She loved it, I would consider getting one myself if my cigar magazine subscriptions were kindlized.

"Long ashes my friends."