Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

CAO

So a couple of months ago i smoked a cao brizilia and the first half inch was alright and after that it was one of the worst cigars i have ever smoked i quickly put it out and smoked a nub habano. Since then i have been worried about trying any other cao do you have any suggestions for cao to try

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    CAO Gold Maduro - that's a good stick.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    The Brazilla isn't a bad cigar... it's actually one of the better CAOs out there.
    But try the America, and the Cameroon.
    I really like those.

• Options
    i heard the brazilla was supposed to be pretty good but both me and my friend smoked one and we both put them out i dont know if it was a bad box or what
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Could have been a bad box. I love CAOs. My favs are the maduro and the MX2.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Christian_Sapp:
    i heard the brazilla was supposed to be pretty good but both me and my friend smoked one and we both put them out i dont know if it was a bad box or what
    Probably just some bad sticks or they just need some aging. What was so bad about them, though? The Brazilia is one of CAO's best.
  • Options
    the brazilia has always been a consistently good cigar for me...did you smoke it right off the truck? Maybe check your humi's rh if not
  • Options
    i dont know we went to a shop that we had never been to before it was not my usual shop but had a huge smoking room so we thought we would try it out but it was way over priced and the person knew nothing about cigars, so maybe it was a new box and wasn't stored right. But it seemed like all the oils came off with the first half inch and the rest of cigar had no flavor and it burned supper fast and hot
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Christian_Sapp:
    i dont know we went to a shop that we had never been to before it was not my usual shop but had a huge smoking room so we thought we would try it out but it was way over priced and the person knew nothing about cigars, so maybe it was a new box and wasn't stored right. But it seemed like all the oils came off with the first half inch and the rest of cigar had no flavor and it burned supper fast and hot
    Sounds a bit like the cigars were never humidified. Dried out, maybe? Let them rest in your humi and see if they're any better in about 2 or 3 weeks.
  • Options
    had one of the italia's the other night driving back from class.. it was one of the smaller sizes 4x38 i think..i thought it was dame good will be gettin some more of those especially with winter on the way....
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Christian_Sapp:
    So a couple of months ago i smoked a cao brizilia and the first half inch was alright and after that it was one of the worst cigars i have ever smoked i quickly put it out and smoked a nub habano. Since then i have been worried about trying any other cao do you have any suggestions for cao to try

I've no clue how much experience you have with cigars or how developed your palate is, but I'd recommend trying that one again in 6 months. Could have been the stick, could have been you, or it could be that the brazillia isn't your cup of tea.

CAO's not my favorite brand. I feel like you kind of pay a premium for their name and the sticks while not bad, are not worth what they cost. Other CAOs that I like are the MX2, and the Gold. I've used the Cameroon as a homework cigar. It smells nice and tastes ok, but it isn't so good that it distracts me. I still need to try the Traviata though. That's about all I'm interested in from CAO. It's just a brand I don't have much of a desire to explore.
  • Options
    I agree with most people here... The Brazilia is one of CAO's better cigars. I personally enjoy the Brazilia and MX2. I think you just had a bad box of cigars that night. Give the Brazilia another chance from your local B&M. Also, never forget to inspect your cigars before you light them up... especially if you are still at the shop you purchased it from. Always check for construction and both head and foot should be aromatic (especially the brazilia). If the wrapper isn't flawless or the cigar doesn't dry-draw correctly, then question the employee/owner of the shop. If they know anything about cigars they will replace it or tell you why the cigar is the way it is. Either way you know they are worth buying cigars from. Good luck next time!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    anyone ever get their hands on the elusive CAO Mx3?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    Man CAO is my favorite brand! The Italia is a pretty sure bet: not crazy expensive, great flavor throughout, and medium-full bodied.
  • Options
    yeah thanks i think im going to give it another try this weekend and hopfully it will be better
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    +1 here on the Brazilia.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    So, I'm pretty neutral on CAO, but I'd still recomend not writing them off before you try a few more of them or that one a few more times. From my experience they all seem to be well constructed and decent flavor, but I've just never had any that impressed me too much for the price. Thats why I'm neutral on the brand as a whole. Alot of people like them though.

And in my opinion the Criollo is their best blend, and the only CAO I've ever gotten into. I burned through a box of those about 5 years back and they are definitely worth trying before you write the brand off entirely. Just throwing my two cents in since the Criollo's seem to be their forgotten blend these days.
  • Options
    I actually just had the Brazilla this weekend from a friend (who got it from a different site...sorry) and I enjoyed it. Easy draw, mild chocolate flavors and not overwhelmingly peppery. I had some JW Green label to go along with it and I think that combination worked very well together. I've only had two CAO's but will check out some of the blends soon.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    boydmcgowan:
    And in my opinion the Criollo is their best blend, and the only CAO I've ever gotten into. I burned through a box of those about 5 years back and they are definitely worth trying before you write the brand off entirely. Just throwing my two cents in since the Criollo's seem to be their forgotten blend these days.

+1 on the Criollo. ROTT isn't bad but given 8 - 12 months and they are really good. I have never had one make it further than 12 months but I am pretty sure it will get better with more age.
  • Options
    cacmancacman Posts: 22
    Personally I like the America, Brazilia, and the L’Anniversaire Maduros. My wife likes a few of the Flavours. I did just pick-up a La Traviata at the local B&M that I'm looking forward to trying for the first time. I always have a few CAO's in the humi.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    bandyt09:
    boydmcgowan:

+1 on the Criollo. ROTT isn't bad but given 8 - 12 months and they are really good. I have never had one make it further than 12 months but I am pretty sure it will get better with more age.
    thats good to know on the aging. I actually haven't smoked these in a while, and back then I was still figuring out what I liked and what I didn't . . . . . I'm kind of feeling like trying these out again. Its been a while. Might have to throw a few on my next order.