Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

La Gloria Cubana Serie N

This is my first review on Cigars.Com. I just received a "Best in Show" sampler and as I write this, I am enjoying a La Gloria Cubana Glorioso N. This cigar is SMOOTH and the construction is flawless, you may leave it for 5 minutes, no problem when you return no need to re-light. Forget about nuts, coffee and the other nonsense this is beautiful tobacco and a cigar you can enjoy anytime of the day. A great Medium cigar and highly recommended.

Comments

• Options
    cacmancacman Posts: 22
    Looking forward to trying one tonight during the Steelers game. LGC Maduro’s have always been a favorite. And the “N” on the wrapper is very cool.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    to get technical, the serie N is not a maduro... its is an Oscuro.

Maduro has more to do with the fermentation where as Oscuro wrapper leaves are taken from the top priming or medio tiempo (literally “half time,” meaning they’ve been left on the plant 50% longer). Since these leaves have been exposed to a maximum amount of sunlight, they begin to cure on the plant. You end up with a darker, thicker, richer and more flavorful leaf than that of a pure maduro.

on that note...
    they do look and taste very similar because they happen to both draw out sugars and make a slightly sweeter cigar. the maduro, however will be much more mild and probably a bit more smooth.
  • Options
    You are cigar educated but I must disagree with you, I have not experienced any "Sweetness" with this great cigar, However Nuts, Coffee, Prime Rib and Corona beer...LOL.

Just Great aged tobacco that complements any thing from coffee to Port.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Going to have to have afew of these thrown in next order. I really liked the R series of this line as well as the originals. Sound tasty.
  • Options
    kuzi - yep, knew that. Like the Maddies first but always left me wanting a bit more of a kick. Series R (colorado shade) came out and i like those too but a different nuttiness than the Maddies. Looking forward to trying the N. I'm a fan of the Perdomo Reserve Limited Oscuro so I'm hoping LGC won't be a disappointment during the Steelers game.
  • Options
    Ninja1100:
    You are cigar educated but I must disagree with you, I have not experienced any "Sweetness" with this great cigar, However Nuts, Coffee, Prime Rib and Corona beer...LOL. Just Great aged tobacco that complements any thing from coffee to Port.
    i have yet to have this particular cigar. often times maduro and oscuro are a bit sweeter than that exact leaf if it was not maduro or oscuro. maybe it IS sweeter than that leaf would have been but we are unable to tell because that leaf is so not sweet that there is virtually no sweetness to be drawn out.
    iduno...

maybe our taste buds are different. fermented products often have different flavors to different people. maybe your body chemistry is different than mine and we just dont get the same thing from the same cigar.
    heck, isnt that what makes this hobby so much fun? looking for different blends we like then comparing them to other blends and other peoples impressions?
    either way, you are not wrong.
    neither am i.
    somehow we are saying opposite things.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Ninja1100:
    You are cigar educated but I must disagree with you, I have not experienced any "Sweetness" with this great cigar, However Nuts, Coffee, Prime Rib and Corona beer...LOL. Just Great aged tobacco that complements any thing from coffee to Port.
    i have yet to have this particular cigar. often times maduro and oscuro are a bit sweeter than that exact leaf if it was not maduro or oscuro. maybe it IS sweeter than that leaf would have been but we are unable to tell because that leaf is so not sweet that there is virtually no sweetness to be drawn out.
    iduno...

maybe our taste buds are different. fermented products often have different flavors to different people. maybe your body chemistry is different than mine and we just dont get the same thing from the same cigar.
    heck, isnt that what makes this hobby so much fun? looking for different blends we like then comparing them to other blends and other peoples impressions?
    either way, you are not wrong.
    neither am i.
    somehow we are saying opposite things.

Very much agreed. Something we can tend to forget at times is that cigar tasting is hardly black and white, too many variables exist for us to agree that one cigar has one particular flavor profile. And I personally love that aspect, that a cigar you dislike can be one I think is very good and that, hopefully, we can both respect each other's opinion. And you know cigarette smokers never have this discussion, so we must be doing something right...or we are utterly insane, either way I wouldn't change a thing.
  • Options
    I too would agree that everyone experiences/enjoys a cigar a different way and that one person's tastes may not agree with another. I can say I have always enjoyed LGC's maduros, preferring the Wavell but also liking the Minutos for a short smoke. I like the Series R but found myself still going back to the Maduros. I smoked a Series N JSB during the Steelers game and can say I found it to be a very good smoke. Upon the intial light it did have an aroma and taste similar to the Partagas Black. The aroma and flavor did settle/smooth-out after the first 1/3rd. Had some problems keeping it lit but only had a week to rest in my humi after purchasing at the local B&M. I will say that I have never tried a LGC Sumatra wrapper. But I do look forward to having a few more N's.
  • Options
    i do like the partagas black....
    i think my local B&M has these cigars. i may have to pick one up.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    i do like the partagas black....
    i think my local B&M has these cigars. i may have to pick one up.
    Yeah these are tasty sticks. I have a box of Blacks in Coronas that I grab one out of every once in a while. They have been sitting in my humi for a year and a half, and seem to be getting very floral the last time I had one.

They can tend to have some uneven burn issues but nothing major.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Smoked a Serie N a couple days ago and I wasn't crazy about it. I think this cigar needs 6-12 months minimum to level out, flavor seemed way out of balance to me, it was harsh and it didn't burn very good. I won't be buying any more, but I will be sitting on the two I have and revisiting them at a later date.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    kuzi16:

Maduro has more to do with the fermentation where as Oscuro wrapper leaves are taken from the top priming or medio tiempo (literally “half time,” meaning they’ve been left on the plant 50% longer). Since these leaves have been exposed to a maximum amount of sunlight, they begin to cure on the plant. You end up with a darker, thicker, richer and more flavorful leaf than that of a pure maduro.

on that note...
    they do look and taste very similar because they happen to both draw out sugars and make a slightly sweeter cigar. the maduro, however will be much more mild and probably a bit more smooth.
    Hey Kuzi my understanding of cigars is limited compared to some, and I'm a walking vault of knowledge to others. My understanding of the priming of leave is that the top leaves are known as ligero. What is the difference between ligero and oscuro? Are oscuro leaves just a step or two down from ligero, or like some stuff in cigars, same thing but different name?
  • Options
    Thewelder:
    kuzi16:

on that note...
    Hey Kuzi my understanding of cigars is limited compared to some, and I'm a walking vault of knowledge to others. My understanding of the priming of leave is that the top leaves are known as ligero. What is the difference between ligero and oscuro? Are oscuro leaves just a step or two down from ligero, or like some stuff in cigars, same thing but different name?
    ligero are the upper primings of the tobacco plant.

Oscuro is a way of curing those same upper priming leaves. it is more of a process than a position on the plant.
    as i just said above:
    kuzi16:
    Oscuro wrapper leaves are taken from the top priming at "medio tiempo" (literally “half time,” meaning they’ve been left on the plant 50% longer). Since these leaves have been exposed to a maximum amount of sunlight, they begin to cure on the plant. You end up with a darker, thicker, richer and more flavorful leaf than that of a maduro or even pure ligero.

if it is just "ligero" they are not left on the plant that extra time and they are cured in a barn after they are off the stalk.

afterthought:
    should i add this clarification to the blending 101 thread?

you may notice that i quoted myself a bit different. i should have been more clear in the original post. this is why the "quote" is not actually a "quote"
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Oh ok. thanks kuzi