Home General Discussion
Options

Cool Experience

Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
So my buddy and I went out hunting in Wisconsin over the weekend. We went out for predators at night with a spotlight and went out for Goose and Duck in the morning. Anyway, last night we found a nice spot to call from on the outside corner of a barn. I was leaning up against the building and working the call and the whole time we were sitting there I kept getting the aroma of a very familiar smell but could not place. Probably because i was freezing my ass off LOL. Anyway, we called in a coyote and took some shots at it and chased it down some. Coming back to collect our gear, I caught a glimpse inside the barn with my spotlight and ohhhh baby, it was full of stalk cut tobacco curing. It was about halfway through the curing process and the leaves were all brown but the stalks were bright green. Amazing. I didnt have my camera or I would have grabbed a pic. I knew the smell, but I am so accustomed to being in curing barns in Nicaragua that I just did not make the connection. Who knew we were hunting on tobacco fields all along.

Comments

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    you of all people should have been able to tell that smell a mile away my friend....Am i to start losing my faith now lol...jkjk
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. nice one Joey.

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    im here to please my friends lol
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I hear ya. I guess I am just used to being around it in tropical climates. The cold weather really threw me for a loop. I had my guard down. Definitely going to do some research on this tobacco.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Nice lol. Wish I could go hunting. Especially in tobacco fields. But I'm guessing the sheer majority of the tobacco is gonna be used for cigarettes. Such a waste :(
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    you of all people should have been able to tell that smell a mile away my friend....Am i to start losing my faith now lol...jkjk
    lol
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I hate coyotes. what's the gun of choice.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    I hear ya. I guess I am just used to being around it in tropical climates. The cold weather really threw me for a loop. I had my guard down. Definitely going to do some research on this tobacco.
    i used to hunt down in southern ohio when i was a kid. many of the farms were tobacco farms. i have smelled this type of tobacco before while hunting.

we asked the farmer once where his tobacco goes. He said most of it ended up in Marlboro cigarettes in China. im not really sure how he knew that... whatever.

every now and then in mid september we would head out there for target shooting and maybe a bit of squirrel hunting and they would be harvesting the tobacco. it was nothing like how most Cigar tobacco is harvested. basically they had a big knife or hatchet in one hand and a long pike in the other. they would cut the stalk at the base and put the entire plant on the pike. later they would cut it off the stalk and let it cure in the barn.

the only time i have ever heard of harvesting cigar tobacco like that is if they are stalk curing the tobacco. but even then its different because the leaves are left on the stalk to cure.
  • Options
    NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    seriously gotta hit me up next time you are in wisconsin!