Home General Discussion
Options

Hey, Krieg...

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Krieg, you've said in the past that you're a real fan of Rocky Patel's stuff. I am, too. I think my favorites are the Edge Lite, Sun Grown, the Vintage 90 and 92, and the Signature Series...probably clost to that order.

What's your opinion of the Decade or the Reniessance? (spelling?) I don't remember trying either of those two yet.

Any of you other guys can ring in if you want to. I'm curious as to opinions on these two.

Marty

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JMO, I love the Decade, if you like the Vintage's, you'll like it. Haven't tried the Renaissance, or heard of it, until now. Now I'm curious.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I'm no Krieg, but I LOVE both the Decade and Renn... in fact, the first Renn I had I got from Kreig... I remember having a hard time finding some about 5 months ago, but it looks like Ccom has them in now... I'm a fan...
  • Options
    im a big fan of the 92's the Decade is a great smoke. havent had the Renn yet but Rob was nice enough to hook me up with one recently.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    If it helps you out I love the Decades. Got a box in a trade from Mr Green machine, which he got from the drawing few months back right here on Ccom. Letting them age a bit but did let a few go and I believe some of them went to Kreig. Normally I would remember but had a few trades in the works at the same time.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I loved the Decade when it first came out, but have some that have over a year of rest on them and they got really blandoring.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have done both and enjoyed them. I think the Decade does not age as well as some smokes. I also think they may have tinkered with the blend along the way as they definitely changed from the early releases, which were far better IMO
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    fla-gypsy:
    I have done both and enjoyed them. I think the Decade does not age as well as some smokes. I also think they may have tinkered with the blend along the way as they definitely changed from the early releases, which were far better IMO
    Sadly I agree I think that the blend has changed.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Sandman1am:
    fla-gypsy:
    Yea, the blend has changed without a doubt and it has suffered because of it. The first release of the Decades were great and did age very well, the last few years they have gone down hill. Just a few months ago I smoked one of the first releases that had been resting since the month they came out and it was fantastic.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Love the Decade
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Sandman1am:
    fla-gypsy:
    Yea, the blend has changed without a doubt and it has suffered because of it. The first release of the Decades were great and did age very well, the last few years they have gone down hill. Just a few months ago I smoked one of the first releases that had been resting since the month they came out and it was fantastic.
    not sure if they "tinkered" with it or not. cigar tobacco, like wine, has to grow every year. not every year yields the same result even if grown from the same seed in the same field. it is very hard to keep some of these specialty blends consistent from year to year.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have been told that Jesus Fuego blended the original Decade and he and Rocky parted ways in a not so admirable fashion. Rocky was forced to have someone else do the blend.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Krieg, you've said in the past that you're a real fan of Rocky Patel's stuff. I am, too. I think my favorites are the Edge Lite, Sun Grown, the Vintage 90 and 92, and the Signature Series...probably clost to that order.

What's your opinion of the Decade or the Reniessance? (spelling?) I don't remember trying either of those two yet.

Any of you other guys can ring in if you want to. I'm curious as to opinions on these two.

Marty

My opinion of the Decade is I like it, but depends on the vitola. IMO, the Decade torpedo is a step above the rest. Don't know what it is about the torp, but it tastes so much better than the toros, robos..etc. With that said, I still haven't tried the Anniversario yet...this is the Decade w/ the Penn Broadleaf wrapper...same blend just diff wrapper. Can't wait to try it, I am sure I'm gonna like it.

As for the RP Renn, I like this smoke too. It's a very nutty, toast note flavored stick. Sumatra wrapper goes well with it. I bought a box last Nov. and just have 2 left actually. If you can find the Edge Sumatra, give it a try, they are basically the same stick. This weekend, I am going to a cigar herf and probably gonna see ol RP there, probably gonna buy a box of RP Brothers, I want the 15th Anniv, but jsut to expensive for me atm. Also gonna see what he can do for my RP lighter...it no longer holds fuel, lol.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    PuroFreak:
    Sandman1am:
    fla-gypsy:
    not sure if they "tinkered" with it or not. cigar tobacco, like wine, has to grow every year. not every year yields the same result even if grown from the same seed in the same field. it is very hard to keep some of these specialty blends consistent from year to year.
    this reason is why I posted a while back regarding "Cigar Vintages". I think the 1st release of a cigar is usually the best and so I Wondered what year and blend of a certain cigar tasted like vs other years...etc. Cigar Vintages

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Krieg gave me a Rennaisance at the SE herf in August and I really enjoyed it. Lots of nutty and toasty flavors that I haven't found before.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    PuroFreak:
    Sandman1am:
    fla-gypsy:
    Dennis responded with what I was going to say already, but yea, Rocky parted ways with the origional blender and did some changing in the factories where they were rolled, and the places he got some of this tobaccos and this lead to minor changes in many of his blends like the Vintage 90, 92, Sun Grown, Decade...etc...etc... That was what he said at the last event of his I went to.