Home General Discussion
Options

Source for unfinished humidor?

I'm normally a DIY kinda person, but expert woodworking is a little outside my wheelhouse.  I can finish wood very well.  Does anyone know of a source for unfinished hunmidors?  I would like to buy one and them be able to put my own custom finish on it.   Looking for something that would hold a humdred or so cigars.

Thanks,

Adam

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i would actually suggest not an unfinished humidor but an "unfinished "humidor"".

let me explain:
    in my years of woodworking ( i build and customize electric guitars) and cigar smoking i have never once come across a humidor that only needs a finish on it. I have however come across a large box that has no finish on it. the problem with this is that id also is missing a cedar lining. all you would have to do is buy spanish cedar form a woodcraft store, cut it to shape, and using titebond, glue them into place. there you have your unfinished humidor.
    the problem is, these boxes often dont have very good hinges on them. they are also hard to find in a large enough size.

i wouldnt consider myself an "expert woodworker" either. I do think that a humidor would be within my realm of ability... and probably with in yours if you have the tools. If you have a table saw with the ability to adjust angles of the blade you can make a humidor fairly easily. ... heck you may even be able to do it if you have a band saw (though this may be a bit harder) If you choose to make one over buying a prefabricated humidor or box you will have more control over the finished product and be able to customize it as you see fit.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I haven't ever seen an unfinished humidor either, but I have found several places online that offer the plans to build your own and it seemed pretty easy. I have been considering trying to build my own coffee table humidor but haven't had the time to really look at how tough it would be.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Never seen an unfinished humi either...

But you could just buy a humi and then strip it... then REfinish it