Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

A Challenge...

Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
Since I have to go to the post office tomorrow and all this bombing is going on, I want in on it, so I'm calling anyone around before the morning to a challenge.

I want a review, preferably a drink review of something you've created - something new. I'm always looking to try something new. No beer. If you submit a cigar review, especially paired with the drink, more points for that.

PM me your mailing info when submitting the review and I will choose a winner and mail out a little surprise package tomorrow morning.

Comments

• Options
    meant to hit edit and hit quote by accident.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Since I have to go to the post office tomorrow and all this bombing is going on, I want in on it, so I'm calling anyone around before the morning to a challenge.

I want a review, preferably a drink review of something you've created - something new. I'm always looking to try something new. No beer. If you submit a cigar review, especially paired with the drink, more points for that.

PM me your mailing info when submitting the review and I will choose a winner and mail out a little surprise package tomorrow morning.

Nice Rob! share any good ones you get!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Ok Rob, I think I've got one for you. I don't know if it's a new drink, but at the very least I've never heard of it. Basically it's a blood orange margarita.

3.5 ounces blanco tequila, I'm using one called Zapopan 100% blue agave.
    Juice from 4 key limes. Roughly a teaspoon agave nectar.
    A pinch of kosher salt.
    A 12 ounce cup filled 3/4 with crushed ice and topped off with blood orange soda that I found at the grocery store.

As for a review, well this is a simple drink that is satisfying. The flavors of the blood orange and key limes play nice with the tequila to make a moderately sweet and tangy drink that would be perfect on a warm summer day. Considering all the citrus involved, the acidity is not overwhelming, though consuming more than two might be a bit much.

I had purchased the blood orange soda to try because I really like blood oranges and after trying it I thought it might make for a nice flavor in a margarita. Tonight was my first time trying it out, and I'm pleased with the result. Not a sophisticated drink by any stretch, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Gotta give credit where it's due, this is based on the margarita recipe boardmember TGO turned me on to, just took it in a slightly different direction.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Was that supposed to go via pm? Well, whatever. Smile [:)]
  • Options
    I've done a few spins on the blood orange margarita, using both the blood orange soda as well as fresh squeezed blood orange juice when it's available. Props for using fresh ingredients (especially blood orange and actually going with key limes - they're a pain, but I love those things), so you definitely get points for that one. I love a new twist on an old classic. Feel free to submit any others since I've already had that one and just PM me your info.

I'd like to have all of the entries posted here so everyone can see ideas, recipes, reviews and even pairing suggestions. I've become somewhat of a food, booze and smoke snob since smoking cigars and cooking more often and I thought it would be fun to get this kind of post going and see what ideas are out there.

Just the other night, I was at a bar with a friend and asked the bartender to pour my recipe. He agreed, so I looked quick and went with 2oz Hendrick's Gin, 1/2oz Canton (ginger liqueur) and 1/2oz St. Germain (elderflower liqueur). Came out really nice. Other times, I'll mix things that sound like they might not go (as in my Mexican Monk recipe, combining Green Chartreuse and Anejo Tequila) and it works beautifully.

So the idea here is to be creative and share what you came up with.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    You guys in the states will have different names for thong to over here so if you havent heard of someth8ng i post just say.
    Havent got a name for it but heres something i like
    1 mesure of malibu
    1 mesure light rum
    1/2 mesure of dark rum
    Pinnaple juice to dilute to how you like it, aprox 2-3 mesures
    Made in a coctatil shaker with 3 cubes of cracked ice, the pourd in a glass with 3 cubes of ice.
    Goes well with a gurka turk with a year on it
    Thats my own recipie, ill post a twist on a classic next
  • Options

a zombie

1 measures dark rum
    1 measures white rum
    1/2 measures apricot brandy
    1/2 measures lime juice
    2 measures pineapple juice
    6i ce cubes plus powdered sugar and an umbrella(just a small one)
    stick 3cracked(not crushed) ice cubes in a cocktail shaker along with all the liquids and a spoon of powdered sugar, just a normal desert spoon size. shake
    take a glass from the freezer and dip the top in powdered sugar (called icing sugar here) so you get sugar just on the rim of the glass. stick the other 3 ice cubes in there, and then poor in the cocktail.
    then put a straw in there and the cocktail umbrella and enjoy.
  • Options
    reviws to follow
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555

Dirty Manhatten
    3oz Bourbon (Eagle Rare or any other good bourbon will do - but ER has a little vanilla in it that really makes this drink POP)
    1/2 oz dry vermouth
    6 Marichino cherries
    1/2 oz Marichino cherry juice/Brine
    2 Twists of lemon peel
    Serves 2 over ice. after pouring just a spritz from a wedge of lemon.

Its sweet, its sour its dry, its mouthwatering! really fun drink here!
    M wife makes them and I might be a little off on the qty's on the OZ's a little bit, cuz I dont think she measures, I think she free pours!

Pairs GREAT with and AJ Signature series.
    The sweetness really compliments this Spicy/Meaty cigar!

• Options
    I like the Dirty Manhattan Fourto. I usually use sweet vermouth, but I've also read 1/2 sweet and 1/2 dry makes a "perfect manhattan." I'll have to try it with the extra cherries and lemon peel. That sounds good.

Also, try that with a really good, dark, aged rum. That's a Cuban Manhattan. One of my personal favs.
  • Options
    Still time for more entries. I'll be heading to the PO soon. And guys who already entered, PM me your info so I have it when I pick a winner.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Egg Nog and Bailey's Mint Chocolate Irish Cream. Seriously you will be addicted for life. It is wonderful and a holiday must. I like to smoke just about anything with a cedar flavor with this.
    Gurkha Legend
    Gurkha Warlord
    5 Vegas Cask Strength II
    Brickhouse
  • Options
    OK, since Jake is the only person that PM'd me his info, I couldn't really pick a winner, so by default, this one's going to Jake. I'd like to keep this thread open and active though. If you guys have ideas, post recipes. I want something original and different, so break open your bar and start mixing. You might just stumble across something new that you love. Better yet, it may pair nicely with a good cigar.

The next person to post, regardless of what you're posting afterwards, just post a particular type of booze. Anything at all and if I have it, I'll try to come up with a new, original recipe using that ingredient. It's like iron chef, drunkard style.
  • Options
    And I will send more mystery packages out. Not sure how often, but it depends on the response to this thread.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Balvenie scotch
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    i didn't pm you dude as im on the other side of the world ;)
    as for the reviews they are both nice and fruity, neither taste overpoweringly of alcohol, the zombie is a bit darker in flavor. both worth a try though:p
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    OK, since Jake is the only person that PM'd me his info, I couldn't really pick a winner, so by default, this one's going to Jake. I'd like to keep this thread open and active though. If you guys have ideas, post recipes. I want something original and different, so break open your bar and start mixing. You might just stumble across something new that you love. Better yet, it may pair nicely with a good cigar.

The next person to post, regardless of what you're posting afterwards, just post a particular type of booze. Anything at all and if I have it, I'll try to come up with a new, original recipe using that ingredient. It's like iron chef, drunkard style.
    Yeah for me. Sweet and thanks. I hope everyone tries my suggestion.
  • Options
    Rob1110 sent me a sweet package of 5 sticks. I will post a pic or list them here later. Got some honeydo's to do