Home General Discussion

Spots on my Heartfelt Beads

A couple days ago I found a few black spots in my mesh bag with my beads in it. I've read a couple threads and it looks like it may be mold. Assuming it is mold, I have enough back up beads to replace these with, but I hate to throw them away if they're fixable. I was considering soaking them in either isopropyl alcohol, or a bleach solution, but I wasn't sure if it would screw up the properties of the beads. Anyone have any thoughts on what it might do or what else I should do to clean the beads? Again, I can throw them out if it doesn't work, but I'd rather have more rebound ability with more beads. Thanks. -nsezell

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    nsezell:
    A couple days ago I found a few black spots in my mesh bag with my beads in it. I've read a couple threads and it looks like it may be mold. Assuming it is mold, I have enough back up beads to replace these with, but I hate to throw them away if they're fixable. I was considering soaking them in either isopropyl alcohol, or a bleach solution, but I wasn't sure if it would screw up the properties of the beads. Anyone have any thoughts on what it might do or what else I should do to clean the beads? Again, I can throw them out if it doesn't work, but I'd rather have more rebound ability with more beads. Thanks. -nsezell
    Not sure about how to clean them beads. I would worry about them too much and just toss them if they were mine.

This situation raises a question. Did you use Distilled water on these beads? Distilled water should NOT mold like that. If not then when you charge the new beads make sure that you use only distilled water. No PG solutions, or tap water as the contaminants can cause mold to grow.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I dont think there is anyway to clean them with any certainty. if you dont get all the mold you will just have another break out.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    nsezell:
    OMG this is SO freaking bizzare!!! I swear to God, I came on here tonight to post that I had found the exact same thing! Mine were in my coolidor, and I think in my case that I just left too much water on the mesh bag when I put it back in there on the spanish cedar. Went ahead and just tossed my beads along with the spanish cedar panel they were sitting on, as I couldnt take the chance with my babies! Inspected the cigars in there thoroughly & all seems well.

Just super duper freaky that this happened to two of us today, when I had never seen any mention of it in the forums!

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    nsezell:
    OMG this is SO freaking bizzare!!! I swear to God, I came on here tonight to post that I had found the exact same thing! Mine were in my coolidor, and I think in my case that I just left too much water on the mesh bag when I put it back in there on the spanish cedar. Went ahead and just tossed my beads along with the spanish cedar panel they were sitting on, as I couldnt take the chance with my babies! Inspected the cigars in there thoroughly & all seems well.

Just super duper freaky that this happened to two of us today, when I had never seen any mention of it in the forums!

wow...now im paranoid...gotta go check my beads

"Long ashes my friends."

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I keep air moving, never had mold issues. Laker's right, toss the beads.