Home General Discussion
Options

to cold to smoke?

52 degrees. Holy f... My fingers are about to fall off. I'm sure u diehards will smoke well past freezing. But dang. I don't no if I can keep this up....I got a alec bradly tempus and gurkah black dragon left b4 I'm out. And I'm smoking a playboy now...but I'm gona have to finish them in the day time. Nights to cold 4 me.

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Pick up a pipe, it'll keep the hands toasty :)
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    One hand, anyway.

The cold isn't a big problem for me, max, for a few reasons: I'm hot natured, I like cold weather, and one word: woolens. Also, I have a patio heater. :)
  • Options
    wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    never tried a pipe. Better then a cigar?
  • Options
    ebitlerebitler Posts: 57
    not too change the subject........but Have you smoked one of the Tempus yet or is that your first one. If you have let me know what you think its on my want list and since ccom got them in stock its very tempting.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    It's getting down into the low 50's here in TX at night and supposed to be down into the upper 40's! That is a bit chilly to me, but I can't pass up any chance to get out and smoke. Luckily my local B&M is just 4 or 5 blocks from my place so when it gets just too cold, I can always head down there for a smoke with the guys.
  • Options
    wmaxham:
    Different.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Urbi is right, pipes smoke is different from cigars, at least for me it tastes "cleaner". It's more crisp than cigars imo. Think thin gloves would help with with the frozen fingers?
  • Options
    urbino:
    wmaxham:
    Different.
    Exactly, its much different. So far I'd say the flavors of a cigar are more to my liking than the pipe BUT the relaxation factor for me is 10x higher with a pipe.

The only reason I threw the pipe comment out was I was just telling my wife the other night how the pipe was keeping my hands warm. I kept alternating which hand was holding the pipe and which was playing pocket pool, they stayed nice and warm :).
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my solution to cold weather is to either build a fire or to move indoors. go to the smoke shop, fire up a heater in the garage, get into the attic, go to a friends house. whatever you can.
  • Options
    Fire works well. We usually have a nice fire pit going out back all winter.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my fire pit ends up being a foot deep in snow in the middle of winter. no fire really keeps you warm when its -5 out.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Building an Igloo will help! =)
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    my fire pit ends up being a foot deep in snow in the middle of winter. no fire really keeps you warm when its -5 out.
    Moving would help :)
  • Options
    I've only smoke a few times in the cold. Both times I was wearing gloves. No worries.
  • Options
    xanderxander Posts: 8
    I seal off my front porch screens then fire up a propane heater. Even with leaving a section of the screening open for fresh air, it still gets warm enough for me to stand out there without gloves or a coat.
  • Options
    Vince_OVince_O Posts: 281 ✭✭
    Simple Solution, Build a smoking room. Lowes & Home Depot have wooden Lawn buildings for sale a 10 x 12 is the size I have , it has 50 amp service ,insulated walls, covered by paneling, the walls all have 2 electrical outlets each, a Sky light with track lighting on one of the rafters,there is an exaust fan mounted over one of the roof vents , 220V baseboard heating for the winter & a small A/C unit to keep you cool in the summer, the floor has carpeting & the Furniture is from Goodwill, ( CHEEEEEEP) , with all the work done by professional cigar smokers I have less than $3500.00 invested well I have had it about 5 years now so it might cost a bit more now , it costs me about 20 bucks a month to heat it in the winter & about 15 bucks a month added to the summer cooling bill, but in the summer I just use it when its REALLLLLY HOT out , most of the time I just open the doors & turn on the fan the stereo sounds just fine & drowns out the fan noise , a worth while investment ... Enjoy, Vince
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Strokes the beard he can't grow and thinks of the empty garage and how much a space heater costs... beers and cigars as many as I want... good lord that sounds good!!!
  • Options
    The tempus majestry. Wasn't bad. It was a great draw. Very olpen. Created more smoke then the olivia O. I liked it. I was even able to blow smokerings outside. Um. U have to ash frequently. I'd say every inch or so. Otherwise it falls early. I had to ash the majestry about 6 times compared to the usual 3 or 4. It had a smooth taste. But puff it a few times and the smoke is rather strong. Kinda stingy. Um. Allaround taste good. I'd smoke it again. And the wraper thing is really cool looking aswell. I'd give it an 8 out of 10 or so. Nothing bad about it. But nothing to amazing eather.
  • Options
    Vince that is awesome! You have me perusing the Home depot and Lowes sites.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I unfortunately have no place to smoke indoors, once in a while Ill have a smoke in the winter. on those rare occasions I bundle up real well. I have some fingerless gloves, big coat, multiple socks and sweat pants under my jeans. I stay nice and warm. if its particularly moist outside I cram some air activated hand warmers in the palms and back of my hand in the gloves, kinda bulky and funny looking but it gets the job done. you dont have to warm your fingers if you keep the large part of your hand warm.
  • Options
    jihiggs:
    I unfortunately have no place to smoke indoors, once in a while Ill have a smoke in the winter. on those rare occasions I bundle up real well. I have some fingerless gloves, big coat, multiple socks and sweat pants under my jeans. I stay nice and warm. if its particularly moist outside I cram some air activated hand warmers in the palms and back of my hand in the gloves, kinda bulky and funny looking but it gets the job done. you dont have to warm your fingers if you keep the large part of your hand warm.
    Being in the same area and same situation as you jihiggs, I find myself doing the same thing. It also doesn't help that I'm thin as a rail and therefore have no way of sustaining a survivable body temperature in any weather below 64 degrees. I even have a special 'cigar blanket' that I take with me outside.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I feel bad for you guys who actually have winter. I'm a cold weather sissy, I can hardly stand to be in anything below 65 degrees, and if it's below 60 I start layering like a fool. I actually experienced my first real winter, ya know cold-ass weather, snow, wind, and I thought I was going to die...and that was pretty mild compared to what some of you guys get, the lowest the days got was mid-20's and hardly more than 6 inches of snow in any fall.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I feel bad for you guys who actually have winter. I'm a cold weather sissy, I can hardly stand to be in anything below 65 degrees, and if it's below 60 I start layering like a fool. I actually experienced my first real winter, ya know cold-ass weather, snow, wind, and I thought I was going to die...and that was pretty mild compared to what some of you guys get, the lowest the days got was mid-20's and hardly more than 6 inches of snow in any fall.
    You're such a woman.

Call me?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    urbino:
    j0z3r:
    You're such a woman.

Call me?
    I'm not that easy...you gotta get me drunk first. :D
  • Options
    Lassy -- a l'il help here?
  • Options
    Lawl. Urbino with his wise cracks.
  • Options
    This thread is making me glad I live in the south. It gets down to 30 MAYBE a few times a year during the dead of winter, otherwise it's usually in the high 40's to low 50's, which is plenty fine for me as long as I've got long sleeves.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    Lassy -- a l'il help here?
    Miller Lite... Commin' up... *PFffssst* Drink up ***...
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I think my lower limit is somewhere around 55 degrees if it's dark or cloudy, and there's no wind. I'm fine down to 45-50 in the sunshine as long as there's no wind. Below that, I'll stay inside, light a fire, and have myself some hot chocolate with brandy. I just won't be smoking very many cigars over the winter.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    I think my lower limit is somewhere around 55 degrees if it's dark or cloudy, and there's no wind. I'm fine down to 45-50 in the sunshine as long as there's no wind. Below that, I'll stay inside, light a fire, and have myself some hot chocolate with brandy. I just won't be smoking very many cigars over the winter.
    This is where the pipe will come in handy ;)