Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any Vets here in the forums at all? dog questions....need answering

puppy has been lethergic lately...not energetic...slight decrease in food intake...more snappy at my other dog......lazy...

She is sleeping way more....she is about 14 weeks old, on large breed puppy food diamond which is a natural based food, almost got all her shots...................thanks

Comments

• Options
    ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    i'm not a vet but where i work a vet comes in quite a bit so when i see her, if it's soon, i'll ask her for you
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a vet, but have you been walking them daily? I've noticed that dogs tend to be more lethargic and neurotic if they're never walked.
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    i just took her for a walk the other day and nothing changed that day or the day after...something more is wrong.....she hate chemicals or somthing
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    I'm not a vet but here are a few ideas for you to think about/research.
    you said its a she so, time of the month?
    a cold
    recovering after a recent shot
    injured leg, wouldnt explain the loss of appetite though
    just some ideas
    hope things improve soon
  • Options
    time of month..funny lol...a cold may be it but ive never seen a cold so powerful on a dog before...no recent shots,. or injured legs...
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    time of month..funny lol...a cold may be it but ive never seen a cold so powerful on a dog before...no recent shots,. or injured legs...
    sorry dude didn't mean to sound like i was joking like, ive never had a *** only ever dogs so i dont know anything about periods, but i would imagine being snappy with other dogs ad being lethargic are symptoms.
    you say she hasn't had all her shots and that you have been walking her, did your vet not say to not take her out of the house until she had had them all???, mine did so its a possibility she might have picked up something.
  • Options
    yeah im thinking she may have picked up a parasite in her stomach from drinking bad water is my theory...and dogs only go in heat once a year...thats it.....and its all good brother...i do appreciate the help either way
  • Options
    ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    so i'm on a lunch break (yes i work on weekends too) and i saw the vet, couldnt have been better timing, she said some puppies are that your puppy may have a virus like you said, and then she asked if your puppy has had its parvo shots because those are mild symptoms of parvo, but she said she may be wrong because she is not there infront of the dog to "properly look at her"
  • Options
    she has had all her shots except the last parvo cuz she is not 16 weeks yet....and there are two other factors...one....she was drinking dirty back yard water i didnt know of....from rain....and other..she chewed up a mop(foam one)...which I use for cleaning the wood floors...i think the chemicals may have made her sick...those are all the factors..
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    PM
  • Options
    right bak at ya man...thankyou so much for the help
  • Options
    my dog ate a foam Nerf ball once (thinking about the mop) and we gave him a nice scoop of Vaseline. cleared out no problem. Maybe also check for giardia (i don't know if dogs get that or if it is around where you are). Just some thoughts
  • Options
    yeah....i have a vet appt now for monday night...i can go in early if i think its worse but i want to take a fecal sample that way they can run sum test
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Went threw all the same stuff with my puppy last year@ this time. Hope she gets to feelin better Joe. Probably something routine.
  • Options
    yeah hopefully...now im thinking something is blocking her stomach up cuz now cuz she hasnt gone number 2 all day...making me a little nervous
  • Options
    let us know how it goes tonight Joe.
    here's hoping for the best.
    sol
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    yeah hopefully...now im thinking something is blocking her stomach up cuz now cuz she hasnt gone number 2 all day...making me a little nervous
    this sounds like you may be on to something. Have you tried correctol? My Blue Heeler is pretty old, and every once in awhile he gets bound up, a single correctol, or generic equivalent works wonders, and not too harsh. He's about 60 lbs.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Good luck man, It sucks when your dog is under the weather.

Aside from the mutt in the picture above my wife and I have a Malamute/Husky mix, and she eats EVERYTHING so we've had our fair share of vet bills becuase of it.

Was there anything in the water that you found her drinking? Rocks? Screws? old washers? anything? Ours swallowed some sort of metal object that she dug up in our yard (about the size of a 3 inch nail) that she wasn't passing even though it was small enough. She showed the exact same symptoms as yours is now and we think was poisining her and slowly shutting her down becuase she couldn't eat, drink or crap beuase of it. We ended up having her in the doggie ER for a few days and they put her on an IV which rehydrated her enough to move it through and once it was gone, she bounced right back in a day or two and was fine. So if this is the case, be prepared for a decent vet bill and don't shy away from getting her an IV because hydration can help alot of different things

Anyway, good luck man, and your doing the right thing by getting her in to see a vet who can figure it out pretty quick and take the steps needed to get her better.