Home Non Cigar Related

Any experienced RV'ers - battery question

I'm replacing my current original single 12v Interstate battery in my 5th Wheel. I do know that I would be better off buying two 6V golf batteries. However, I would need to possibly add another battery enclosure, add another ventilation tube, tie that the existing tube that runs to my single 12v enclosure.
Not sure if that made sense but here's a pic.

So, besides dropping $250 on a Trojan single 12v, can you recommend another single deep cycle 12v battery around $100 that will allow me to do the following with no land power?

Power on the heater all night and possibly one light for an hour or two here and there. I will be running my external generator for an hour or two in the morning and at night to recharge the batteries and run microwaves and water pumps. I would be doing this for about 1-3 days once every 2-3 months. I have a kill switch on the battery when I put the trailer in storage until I can get a trickle charger.

Thanks.

Comments

• What I did in my 5th wheel when I added an additional 12v battery was pretty simple. I have the same battery boxes you have in your pic. I bought a a 2" PVC "T" connector and 2- 2" 90 degree PVC elbows and basically ended up with a 2" "T" with a 90 degree elbow on each end. I slipped the end of the elbow over the vent **** on each battery box and attached the original vent tube to the middle **** on the "T". The cost for the PVC "T" and elbows was about 5-6 bucks at Home Depot. Just measure the distance between the two battery box vents and buy a your "T" accordingly. If I remember correctly, the one I bought was 6 inches end to end. If you want I can take a pic of my setup for and email it to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks for the info. I only have one battery box atm and don't want to add another yet due to costs.

What 12v batteries are you using?

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    The 1-12 volt is going to be iffy with what you want to do. It might make it, it might not. 2-6volts would be a big improvement. Trojans have a great rep but it comes with a cost which may be overhyped. You could buy 2 GC 6 volts (x brand) at Sam's or Costco for around $150-160 and get much longer service. Good luck!
  • I have 2 Interstate deep cycle marine batteries.