Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Morro Castle

2»

Comments

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Morro Castle is blowin up lately! I love this stick

it's kind of my go to smoke when I don't really know what to smoke... always keep about 15 on hand... can;t beat the price either... I prefer the robusto myself...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    I had a couple of 5'ers delivered while I was away and have only smoked a couple of these but I found them to be a really enjoyable stick. Maybe not the most complex stick but like so many other AJ sticks... if the flavor profile is that good why would I want it to change. I believe "Complexity" in a cigar is something realy over rated. Seems to me, more of a challenge to have a stick hold that flavor all the way through rather then to call the changing flavor as the tobacco heats up and changes flavor "Complexity". IMO
    Proving once again that Laker has more sense than many
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    I much prefer the longer vitolas over the robuso. Granted I have had only one of the robusto but to me it was missing something compared to the toro.
  • Options
    Bubba3650Bubba3650 Posts: 84
    Just had one today while playing cribbage and watching the Packers. Very tasty, not to rich not to mild, slight peppery flavor, got better as I smoked it.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kuzi gifted me a Morro Castle 1589 Toro. Temperature took a nose dive this afternoon, with refreshing breeze full of rain, so I took my job of work out to the garage laptop and enjoyed the Morro. It's a nice change of pace to be able to enjoy the man cave without sweltering.

This cigar definitely had one of the finest grained, tightest wrappers I have seen. There was a funny two-toned thing going on near the foot, which I liked. The cap color looked incongruous. The wrapper had a distant tobacco odor. The foot smelled of cedar. It tasted like mild sumatra unlit. The thin cap popped right off. The draw was medium tight and tasted of cedar. I admired this stick a full fifteen minutes before I could bring myself to destroy it. Very nice. This first impression made me fetch a glass of chambourcin to drink with it. A good pairing.

One match is all it took to toast the foot and light it off. I got a fair volume of smoke. There was more oak in the mouth and more cedar in the retrohale, with both and tobacco in the aroma. This mellowed and became smooth and creamy. It stayed consistent for about 45 minutes, burning just perfectly, when suddenly it turned bitter and went out. I gave it a few minutes, relit it, and it smoked fine again. Back to the same oak and cedar, very smooth. It grew in strength but never reached strong. At an hour and a half, it went out again. There was no warning this time; just kicked up its furry little legs, turtled over and cacked.Plenty of stick left even after an hour and a half. I am blaming the weather.I'll bet you could get two solid hours out of one of these under the right conditions.

You know, Johnny Sotweedseed had the same exact prob with all his sticks when riding down the Blue Ridge where it rained every day. Leaves you wanting more when a sticks dies like that.match

The Morro left me with a mild and pleasant stinkfinger. I won't gauge the morning mouth and wheeze tomorrow, since I have some sort of morning phlegm thing going on anyways, and because I am apt to burn a yardgar before long which would muddy the picture.

I rate it at three and a half stars. I would rate it higher except that the flavor always seemed to be at a distance, like certain cell phone conversations where you have to put your finger in your opposite ear to make out words at the other end.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)