Home Non Cigar Related

What is your favorite winter/christmas seasonal beer?

I was at the store today and was looking around the beer cooler for my favorite Christmas Ales and got caught up checking out all of the seasonal beers. I was wondering what everyones favorite winter or Christmas beer was.

Mine is Great Lakes Christmas Ale and The Thirsty Dog's Twelve Dogs of Christmas with a close second.

Comments

• lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy Belgian beers during the holidays. Almost anything will do. If I'm splurging, a nice Delirium Tremens or Leffe Blonde will do. Or a more local brew. As far as "seasonal", I like Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I'm stuck on Firestone Velvet Merlin. Deep rich oatmeal stout. Love it, but soooo many seasonals too little time. My cigar budget has been donating to my beer budget.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    I enjoy Belgian beers during the holidays. Almost anything will do. If I'm splurging, a nice Delirium Tremens or Leffe Blonde will do. Or a more local brew. As far as "seasonal", I like Blue Moon Winter Abbey Ale.
    Marty, have you tried the Blue Moon Grand Cru? Wonderful beer just surprised that they put it out this time of the year as it is a lighter beer that seems more suited for spring; but I ain't complaining. I really like the Winter Abbey also.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    Great beers. Also Delirium Nocturnum and Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter.
    Light 'em up.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I need to try that nocturnum......i keep staring at it. Just had Port Brewing's Santa's Littl Helper Imperial Stout. I'm an imperal stout **** and this one is really good. Rich, thick malt overload. Got a 6'er of Sierra Nevada Celebration and Rouge Santa's Reserve cooling down at the moment.
    Imperial Stout **** myself. Some Ol Rasputin or Great Divide's Yeti, fantastic!
    Light 'em up.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite has got to be Samuel Smith Winter Welcome Ale. I think the British and the Germans make the best beer. Just an overall generalization.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Theres this brewery here in Rockford that makes my favorite festive beer. Its so damn good i drink it straight from the growler lol.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None they all taste like sweat from Rosie O'Donell's armpits
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    My favorite winter beer is single malt scotch.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    jsnake:
    None they all taste like sweat from Rosie O'Donell's armpits
    I won't even ask how you know that Jake.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I've been buying alot of Boulevard Nut Cracker Ale. Also try the Sam Adams Winter Sampler. 12 bottles of beer, two of each flavor. There is some real good stuff in there.
    JSaint:
    Theres this brewery here in Rockford that makes my favorite festive beer. Its so damn good i drink it straight from the growler lol.
    I used to do that with the porter from Barley Bros in Lake Havasu, I would open the growler and drink the whole thing, easily. Boy would I be buzzed up after that, though.
    Light 'em up.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Poker Slob:
    My favorite has got to be Samuel Smith Winter Welcome Ale. I think the British and the Germans make the best beer. Just an overall generalization.
    I also enjoy Sam Smith's Winter Welcome. very tasty. as far as "the best" beers. I live in the Portland area, we have so many breweries here it's insane. I love German beer as well as English and Irish but I gotta say, northwest beer is awesome
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    bandyt09:
    lilwing88:
    Marty, have you tried the Blue Moon Grand Cru? Wonderful beer just surprised that they put it out this time of the year as it is a lighter beer that seems more suited for spring; but I ain't complaining. I really like the Winter Abbey also.
    No, I've never tried the Grand Cru..... I'll keep an eye out for it, though. Looks like it's hard to come by.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lilwing88:
    bandyt09:
    lilwing88:
    No, I've never tried the Grand Cru..... I'll keep an eye out for it, though. Looks like it's hard to come by.

If it is hard to come by where you're at then let me suggest that, if you do find it, pick up 2 bottles. I know, here in California, they release it usually the middle of November and it typically doesn't make it to Christmas. I am waiting for one on local stores to get it in so I can pick up 10 bottles or so. I discovered it last year and had to wait 9 1/2 months to revisit it again this year. I hope you'll be able to find at least one bottle, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • I'm a Magichat (magic hat not magi chat) fan. They come out with seasonal boxes at the start of every season and I usually pick it up. They're standard #9 is fantastic and the seasonal ones that I've had (almost every season except summer), have also been very tasty. I can honestly say you can never go wrong with Magichat.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCizzle:
    Imperial Stout **** myself. Some Ol Rasputin or Great Divide's Yeti, fantastic!
    Love the Rasputin myself, have you tried Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter?, very nice with your Maduro of choice. Hmm, may have to run out to the store soon, Birthday's coming up, and I'm waiting 'til then to try my first Armada. I think this might be an excellent pairing.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Poker Slob:
    I look forward to this every year. Love it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i was a big fan of the Sam Adams Chocolate Bock that is exclusive to the winter seasonal sampler. If there was a 6 or 12 of that i would buy it all through the winter.

for something a little more accessible i have been drinking the Blue moon Winter Abby Ale