Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Books...

Just got done reading "The Dwarves" by Markus Heitz...It was a very entertaining read and figured I'd share it for your sitting down, cigar smoking moments.

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I'm re-reading Heritics by G.K. Chesterton.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Musashi, by Eiji Yoshikawa - favorite book of all time and always a good read
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    In the middle of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo... not sure I get it yet, but I cant put it down!

Really hoping for the new Tom Clancy for Xmas.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Re-reading East of Eden again for the 3 time. What a great, dark book.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    In the middle of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo... not sure I get it yet, but I cant put it down!

great book (dragon tattoo) I read that and the second one, and am as of now trying to find the third one for the final, really enjoyed the book.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Just finished The Given Day by Dennis Lehayne...... Just started Fragment by Fahy. So far, pretty interesting.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Sometimes you can see what makes a classic.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ljl:
    man
    i havent read that in a decade.

i should.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    kuzi16:
    ljl:
    man
    i havent read that in a decade.

i should.
    Been about the same for me... great read though... Currently reading Hood by Stephen Lawhead... pretty good so far...
  • Options
    Cigar Sherlock:
    Just got done reading "The Dwarves" by Markus Heitz...It was a very entertaining read and figured I'd share it for your sitting down, cigar smoking moments.
    PM to you sir
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Sniper:

I finished reading the Millennium Trilogy a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed each book. If you don't quite get some things right now, a good deal of them will become clear as you near the end, it's a very well crafted story that leaves you with questions until the end.

I just started reading A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, I'm liking it so far....got the entire Holmes collection on my Nook so that ought to keep me busy for a while.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    The Sniper:

I finished reading the Millennium Trilogy a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed each book. If you don't quite get some things right now, a good deal of them will become clear as you near the end, it's a very well crafted story that leaves you with questions until the end.

I just started reading A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle, I'm liking it so far....got the entire Holmes collection on my Nook so that ought to keep me busy for a while.
    Word...I now own both paperback and hardback versions of the entire Collection of Sherlock Holmes, and it forms my regular reading.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    I'm reading Last of the Mohicans. It's pretty good so far.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't get into this Girl With the Dragon Tattoo book. Just not into it. I really enjoy Vince Flynn, Dean Koontz, James Patterson, David Baldacci, and Ken Follet. I know I am getting a few new books for Christmas.
  • Options
    jsnake:
    I can't get into this Girl With the Dragon Tattoo book...
    My sister keeps trying to get me to read it... and when I ask her if she liked it, she tells me she couldn't get into it... I told her that she should be thankful that she does not have a career in sales...
  • Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    I can't get into this Girl With the Dragon Tattoo book. Just not into it. I really enjoy Vince Flynn, Dean Koontz, James Patterson, David Baldacci, and Ken Follet. I know I am getting a few new books for Christmas.
    Just watch the movie series its pretty awesome.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Right now I'm reading Tad Williams latest series "Shadowmarch" and am on the second book. I just found out a few months ago that he was doing this series, and the last installment just hit shelves so for once I don't have to wait to finish a series (Wheel of Time, Malazan Book of the Fallen, Song of Ice and Fire...I'm looking at you...).

So far it's a great read and is reminding me why I like his work (in-depth, intriguing and builds the fantasy rather than smacking you with "OMG WIZARDS N DRAGONS N ORCS!!11").
  • Options
    doromath:
    Right now I'm reading Tad Williams latest series "Shadowmarch" and am on the second book. I just found out a few months ago that he was doing this series, and the last installment just hit shelves so for once I don't have to wait to finish a series (Wheel of Time, Malazan Book of the Fallen, Song of Ice and Fire...I'm looking at you...).

So far it's a great read and is reminding me why I like his work (in-depth, intriguing and builds the fantasy rather than smacking you with "OMG WIZARDS N DRAGONS N ORCS!!11").
    I might have to pick your brain on some recommendations... SOFAI ruined me for fantasy... nothing seems to compare... and book 5 is oh, idunno, 4 years late... it may never be completed... and that makes me sad
  • Options
    robbyras:
    doromath:

I might have to pick your brain on some recommendations... SOFAI ruined me for fantasy... nothing seems to compare... and book 5 is oh, idunno, 4 years late... it may never be completed... and that makes me sad
    Well, I haven't read SOFAI (but given that comment, I may have to pick it up), but have you read the Wheel of Time series? Amazingly complex and beautiful story. Also, David Gemmel produced numerous novels of shorter length that served as many hours of exciting adventure for me when I was younger.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Just finished the Lies of Locke Lamora, awesome book. The name of the wind next. Heard good things so looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Roughscotsman:
    The name of the wind next. Heard good things so looking forward to it.
    I have that book on my nightstand... I keep waiting for at least the second book to come out before I start it... I HATE waiting for the next book in the series to come out...

I did break that rule on "The Left Hand of God... actually did the audiobook on that and it was really good... dark fantasy with no orks or dragons...

but yeah, the name of the wind is supposed to be really good... second installment is coming out in March I think...

My wife is reading the Wheel of Time... Just got her the 13th book for Xmas...I will read it someday... since we have all the books already... there are so many shorter series that I am interested in that I just cant commit to a 14 book series just yet...that will take me at least a year... cuz those babies are not small books...

I'm currently reading the King Raven Trilogy... it's Robin Hood with a bit if a twist... he's welsh, not english... and the time frame is a bit different also... so it's not like kevin costner running around... it's a bit grittier... I'm enjoying it...

I also got turned on to the new Star Wars books... The Fate of the Jedi Series... I got the first 6 books as a gift but it turns out that I need to read a bunch of other books so I know whats going on... So I started to read Heir to the Empire... It takes place 5 years after Return of the Jedi... I love me some Star Wars but never got into the books, so its new to me... VERY easy read...

so I'm double fisting

anyone ever read the Dune series?
  • Options
    I read through the first 2 or 3 books of Dune last year (can't honestly remember how far I got). Makes for some damn good reading!

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Anyone who wants to be really challenged by a book, and who enjoyed Dan Brown's books, like The DaVinci code, needs to read the book that does what the Da Vinci code tried to do, without all of the over the top non-sense, and an actual knowledge of occult sects, modern Templar lineage, etc... FOUCAULT'S PENDULUM by Umberto Eco. Might need to buy a few connected texts, or at least a dictionary/encyclopedia of occult topics to get through it, but it is by far the most rewarding book I have ever read.

reading Irvine Welsh's novel Trainspotting (the one the movie was adapted from) right now. It ALMOST makes me want to start slamming dope. Almost.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Just getting started on The Gun by C.J. Chivers, not too far into it but it's a history of the AK 47. I'm liking it but haven't had time to really tear into it.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Pick away anytime. High fantasy is pretty much all I read these days (though I do enjoy a good Terry Pratchett book whenever possible). Williams isn't as irreverent to his characters as Martin is, but he's still damn good. Stephen Erikson's series "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" is at 9 books currently, with I think 2 more to go, and he's just as good at Martin at constantly killing his characters. Very good read but as-yet unfinished.

I've read all of the original Dune series, including the last few where it starts getting a bit "wonky". Good stuff regardless of strangeness at the end. I read a few of the prequels his kid put out but never mutch got into them. Read all the Frank Herbert stuff, leave off on the son's works.

And Hays, seriously go read SOFAI as soon as possible. It's the only series that tops The Wheel of Time for me and ended it's 10 year reign at the top of my book list.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Anyone who wants to be really challenged by a book, and who enjoyed Dan Brown's books, like The DaVinci code, needs to read the book that does what the Da Vinci code tried to do, without all of the over the top non-sense, and an actual knowledge of occult sects, modern Templar lineage, etc... FOUCAULT'S PENDULUM by Umberto Eco. Might need to buy a few connected texts, or at least a dictionary/encyclopedia of occult topics to get through it, but it is by far the most rewarding book I have ever read.

reading Irvine Welsh's novel Trainspotting (the one the movie was adapted from) right now. It ALMOST makes me want to start slamming dope. Almost.
    Eco also wrote The Name of The Rose..... also a great book.

If you liked Eco, you should check out C. J. Sansom. He writes amazing books based on the 16th century.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    A friend from work recommended some books a long time ago. That person has moved on and I'm trying to remember the name of the series. I'm hoping someone here can help with a vague hint.

It revolved around being on ships (think clippers, schooners, trade ships, all wood, etc.) and it might have been between 1400-1800's. I remember it being really descriptive of what life on the ships were actually like. And I believe it was a fairly long series.

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    james40:
    A friend from work recommended some books a long time ago. That person has moved on and I'm trying to remember the name of the series. I'm hoping someone here can help with a vague hint.

It revolved around being on ships (think clippers, schooners, trade ships, all wood, etc.) and it might have been between 1400-1800's. I remember it being really descriptive of what life on the ships were actually like. And I believe it was a fairly long series.

Horatio Hornblower?
  • Options
    SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
    Pillars of the Earth, by: Ken Follett
  • Options
    Smokeee:
    Pillars of the Earth, by: Ken Follett
    Totally. Did you read the sequal? Equally as engrossing..