Home General Discussion
Options

Remembering cigars in the humidor

I read a lot about people mentioning the "make and model" of a cigar that they've had in the humidor for like 3 years as if they bought it the day before... do you guys label your cigars when you put them in the humidor somehow? Or, as a a relative novice, will I gain the 6th sense of remembering each cigar's VIN when I place it in my humidor eventually?!

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    When I buy a box I will date it and let it sit. Then when ever I take one from that box I am constantly reminded of when I got them. When I get individual sticks I may not remember the exact day, but usually will remember an event related to the way I obtained it. The way I store them in my humidor also helps me keep track of them. I quess you can buy some little sticky dots to attach to the cigars, but on my favorites, I know they are there and how long I have been waiting to enjoy them. No matter what don't worry about how long you have had them, be glad you have them.
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    For me, I Keep an Excel spreadsheet of all my sticks. I record date received, manufacturer; type of cigar and wrapper (80th anniversary - Maduro); style ( Robusto, Toro); size (6 x 54); quantity; cost; and misc notes. When I get cigars that match what I already have, I'll use a sticky dot to record the date when possible, if not the newest goes to the bottom of the humi, using the FIFO method. I also keep another worksheet where I'll copy the info from my "in stock" sticks add two columns, one being date smoked and the second is a review of the cigar. For PIF's etc. I simply make an adjustment to my "in stock" smokes.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I date every cigar as it enters my humidor. since i usually buy first hand, i know the year is THAT year. Usually you can find anything about any Vitola somewhere online. If i am doing a review of a cigar that is OLD, ill look it up or call the company or whatever.