Home Non Cigar Related

Bayberry Candles

This is blatant self-promotion and I'm sorry, but we've had a bad few years and anything I can do to boost sales I will.

I'm second fiddle in a two man candle operation in Central New York; we make hand-dipped taper candles. We dip using an antique rig that's been thru 3 fires we know of over the past century, one of which was our own a bit over 2 years ago. We make pure beeswax, bayberry and paraffin tapers, the majority of our business being bayberry in the last 3 months of the year as bayberry candles are traditional Christmas candles dating back to colonial times.

As I'm sure anyone with a small business can attest to, the past few years have not been great. Ours was made worse by still being in recovery mode after having the carriage house we used to dip in burn to the ground. I'm not looking for pity, I just feel guilty for using these forums to advertise.

Aanyways, we mostly wholesale to museum shops and historical society related places, but put together a website to do some retail of our own a few years ago.
Our site is helsherhouse.com we only sell pairs of boxed 8" bayberry candles there. They'd make a great last-minute Christmas gift =D

If any of you guys end up ordering, shoot me a PM and I'll make sure your order ships the next day.
I also picked up a box of Shorties before realizing I didn't have room, I'll tuck one in with anyone that gives me a heads up.

Comments

• Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    What is the difference in the wax? I usually buy the big name commercial stuff that is scented and was thinking about trying out an odor eating candle for the smoke. Got anything like that or is it just for light? I don't know much about candles except that I buy them and burn them so it's a nice smell in the house.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I'll give em' a try - I zapped you an order from your web site.

Tony
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me, too. Check your inbox....

Marty

• LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Sandman, bayberry is a brittle, very clean and bright burning wax. It's from the bayberry shrub's berries, which are about the size of BB's and have a thin coating of wax on them. You boil them and skim the wax off the surface.
    It has a distinct smell, kind of pine and citrus if I had to say. They don't smell as strong as scented candles, and they grow surface plume with age, just like a cigar. Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure they won't do anything for cigar odor.

Both orders we got are boxed up and waiting to be shipped tomorrow, thank you gentlemen!