Home General Discussion

Drink pairing for Opus X?

Hey BORKS, any recommendations for drink pairings for my first opus x?

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Johnny Walker Black. Or maybe some Captain Morgan's Private Stock. Opus X has a lot of raisins, caramel, cinnamon, spice, wood, and pepper.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Ron Zacappa Rum. Sugar really cuts the body.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Alex Svenson:
    +1 and I also like a just plain drinking water.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Either Ardbeg Corryvreckan Single Malt or Ardbeg Airidh Nam Beist Single Malt. The Corryvreckan is a cask strength scotch at 57.1% alcohol and will make the Opus seem mild! lol Both are fantastic single malts and have an amazing smokey peaty flavor that pairs very well with a good full bodied cigar. The last Opus I smoked was paired with the Corryvreckan.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lcpleel:
    Alex Svenson:
    +1 and I also like a just plain drinking water.
    hot damn, sounds yummy.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    PuroFreak:
    Either Ardbeg Corryvreckan Single Malt or Ardbeg Airidh Nam Beist Single Malt. The Corryvreckan is a cask strength scotch at 57.1% alcohol and will make the Opus seem mild! lol Both are fantastic single malts and have an amazing smokey peaty flavor that pairs very well with a good full bodied cigar. The last Opus I smoked was paired with the Corryvreckan.
    I don't think of the vegetal, peat character of those Scotches pairing well with the leather, cinnamon, and fruit profile of the Opus, personally.

The best pairings with an Opus I've ever had were Zacapa 23, Zacapa XO, and a 2008 Velvet Devil Merlot. They all have dark, sweet characters. Very awesome.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    OMFG + 1000000000 and 1!!!!! I plan on having Ardbeg Uigeadai with my Opus X I have that will probably get smoked sometime late next year.... if the Scotch lasts that long damn this is so good and the finish on the palate is amazing.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    PuroFreak:
    I don't think of the vegetal, peat character of those Scotches pairing well with the leather, cinnamon, and fruit profile of the Opus, personally.

The best pairings with an Opus I've ever had were Zacapa 23, Zacapa XO, and a 2008 Velvet Devil Merlot. They all have dark, sweet characters. Very awesome.
    I actually thought the smokey peaty flavors of the Corryvreckan paired perfectly with the Opus. The spice and earthyness was a nice contrast to the cigar.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna agree with Alex, and all who stated Zacapa. Also, if you can't get Zacapa, try for Zaya, Plantation 20 year or Ron Centenario 20 year. All fantastic rums - sweet, slightly syrupy, lots of sweet spice, vanillla and soft fruit notes. Also, a good bourbon would pair with some spicier vitolas.

If you want to mix, go with lightly mixed, such as a manhattan, cuban manhattan or even a sazerac.
  • MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    Thanks all! We smoked them last night with rum at a local (to my dad's place) cigar bar, and unfortunately they didn't have the zacapa (I've got a bottle at home but that's a long ways away!), so I had a different rum and it was an excellent companion (though the zacapa would've been better). And, yes, it was a fantastic cigar!