Home General Discussion
Options

looking for some guidence

Ok...im finally gonna break down n ask for some help because after EXTENSIVE research...im still lost...lol

when i first starting smoking cigars a year ago i thought of anything with a spicy peppery flavor as just plain harsh...now i see it as more of a balancing flavor like hops is to beer...but im by no means a hop head...lol the problem is that mild cigars don't really do it for me anymore either...n im spending to much money on cigars im not really enjoying n i order all my cigars from cigar.com so i don't have a bm to consult with... so im gonna lay out a profile and will definitely appreciate your help..

I love lots of thick rich smoke full of flavor with a preference towards the woody nutty and sweet profile.  i don't mind a little pepper to balance that out as long as thats not the main profile...i loved the padron 2000for example though i thought it could have had a little more underlying flavor and a little less spiciness. im mainly a robusto smoker as well as big ring gauges due to time constraints n i feel it smooths out the flavors and burns a little cooler....anyway....would love to hear your advise and thank you in advance!

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Here are some cigars I'd recommend for you. Man o War original and Ruination, Diesel Unholy Cocktail, Oliva Serie V, Ashton VSG, Tatuaje Havana VI, La Riqueza, La Flor Dominicana Air Bender, 5 Vegas Limitada 2010, Tabacos Baez Series H. Well those are some to get you started. If you want specifics about a particular item post back and I can elaborate a bit.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Diesel Unlimited has some spice in the beginning, but it settles down quickly - big flavors, lots of smoke, etc - very nice stick IMO. You may also wanna try the MOW Virtue, the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro, and if you get a chance, the MOW Armada

EDIT - almost forgot - if you don't like spice, but like the cigar in general, just let it age. During the aging process, spice is typically the first thing to mellow out/disappear
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    one thing that can cause unwanted spice is the way the cigar is lit. make sure there is no direct flame on the end and take your time. don't puff it hard to light. if you burn it, it will be harsh and too peppery for the first third which can ruin your palate for the rest of the stick.
    Man O War Ruination, Diesel Unholy Cocktail, Graycliff Double Espresso, 262 Paradigm, Fuente Anejo, La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero, Camacho 1962, Camacho Triple Maduro, La Riqueza, Tatuaje Havana are all sticks I would recommend that are full bodied and that have given me a good experience.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    smoke slow.
    cigars will spice up the faster they are smoked. since i smoke very slow, i tend to note less spice than many others do in the same cigar. most describe the CAO LX2 as nothing but spice but in my catalog I DESCRIBE IT as having some spice but also hints of leather and a nutty tone.

another trick you can do is to buy full bodied cigars and let them age. i like full bodied smokes that are not full of spice so i do that a lot. the first thing to go in a cigar with age on it is the spice. DPG blue has a ton of spice on it when fresh but after a year or so it tones down quite a bit while still retaining the full body.

I find myself smoking a lot of LFD... especially the airbender.
    this is a medium to full body smoke that not to many people will describe as "spicy"
    yes, there is a warm cinnamon tone to it, but i would hardly call it harsh.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    ^+1 on the Airbender Kuzi. It has spice flavors, but not pepper heat. It actually has flavors reminiscnet of various spices, like cinnamon and nutmeg. They are big and bold as well. LFD makes several big, full bodied and flavored cigars that abstain from being in any way harsh.
  • Options
          Thanks guys for the great input...this is exactly what i was looking for! I dont have a humi yet, just a cigar jar one, so i tend to buy cigars and smoke them rather quickly. I will def move that up on my to get list so i can age some cigars...i also use a torch lighter so its def possible im getting things too heated up...so i will try all your suggested smokes with these things in mind....n thanks for your time!
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    smoke slow.
    cigars will spice up the faster they are smoked. since i smoke very fast, i tend to note less spice than many others do in the same cigar. most describe the CAO LX2 as nothing but spice but in my catalog I DESCRIBE IT as having some spice but also hints of leather and a nutty tone.

another trick you can do is to buy full bodied cigars and let them age. i like full bodied smokes that are not full of spice so i do that a lot. the first thing to go in a cigar with age on it is the spice. DPG blue has a ton of spice on it when fresh but after a year or so it tones down quite a bit while still retaining the full body.

I find myself smoking a lot of LFD... especially the airbender.
    this is a medium to full body smoke that not to many people will describe as "spicy"
    yes, there is a warm cinnamon tone to it, but i would hardly call it harsh.
    I love the airbender as well... Im kinda in the same boat whereas I like full body but could do without the tons of spice that are in many of them. Therefore, I smoke many of the blends already mentioned like the Diesels and MOW Ruination etc.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have similar taste as you do. I love a nutty, cedary, and slightly sweet cigar. Here is what I recommend:

Brickhouse
    LFD Airbender
    Oliva V
    Gurkha Legend
    Gurkha Warlord
    Gurkha Master Select
    262 Paradigm
    Murcielago
    Alec Bradley Prensado
    Alec Bradley Tempus
    CAO La Traviata
    5 Vegas Cask Strength II
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    medic_x:
          Thanks guys for the great input...this is exactly what i was looking for! I dont have a humi yet, just a cigar jar one, so i tend to buy cigars and smoke them rather quickly. I will def move that up on my to get list so i can age some cigars...i also use a torch lighter so its def possible im getting things too heated up...so i will try all your suggested smokes with these things in mind....n thanks for your time!
    ah, you misunderstand - the heat in the cigar doesn't have anything to do with how you light it, but how often you draw on it; the more often you puff, the hotter the cigar burns, and so the more spice you get - that's what kuzi meant.

Try to draw on it only somewhere between every 30-sec to once a minute, but keep in mind that each cigar has its own pace - some you can take a puff once a minute, others need to be puffed once every 30 sec to stay lit.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If you read back to the first sentence of dennisking's post, you'll see that in fact he didn't misunderstand.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    xmacro:
    medic_x:
    ah, you misunderstand - the heat in the cigar doesn't have anything to do with how you light it, but how often you draw on it; the more often you puff, the hotter the cigar burns, and so the more spice you get - that's what kuzi meant.

Try to draw on it only somewhere between every 30-sec to once a minute, but keep in mind that each cigar has its own pace - some you can take a puff once a minute, others need to be puffed once every 30 sec to stay lit.
    And some burn just fine being drawn on every 2 to 3 minutes ;)
  • Options
    Perdomo Reserve Ltd. Oscuro, CAO Brazilia, Ashton aged maduro, Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 and 1992

The Perdomo can be had for great prices, and you may be interested in trying the Cigar.com Brazilian Label for a bargain too.
  • Options
    try the Rocky Patel Decade and the Nub Camaroon. I also don't like peppery cigars and these are two of my favorite.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    My suggestion is to email Tim and tell him the kind of cigars you are looking for and how many sticks and how much you would like to spend on a sampler and ask him to put together something for you. The Beard will not disappoint
  • Options
          Thanks again guy's! i saved this page till i get a chance to write some of these down...i love to try new smokes...its basically an obsession..lol I usually read the notes on a cigar before trying it but lately im finding out just to try it for myself...ive avoided some of the sticks mentioned because of the taste profiles listed by the manufacturer or just plain cuz of the name...lol and i think im missing out....too many cigars too little time...lol thanks again!
  • Options
    Oops...one more question....how long on average is a good amount of time to age a cigar as mentioned earlier...
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    kuzi16:
    smoke slow.
    cigars will spice up the faster they are smoked. since i smoke very FAST

I.
    I think you mean SLOW here correct?
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    medic_x:
    Oops...one more question....how long on average is a good amount of time to age a cigar as mentioned earlier...
    Each cigar is different and everybodys taste to the aging is different. My personal favorite way is to get 3-5 sticks of something I want to try. I then will smoke one right off the truck, then one after a month then one at 3 months, then 6 months and then again at a year if I'm that patient with them...haha Usually they don't last past 3-6 months for me though....lol I try to do it this way to check it at various points of aging to see where I like it the best.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    kuzi16:
    smoke slow.
    cigars will spice up the faster they are smoked. since i smoke very FAST

I think you mean SLOW here correct?
    correct.
    my mistake.
    it has been edited now

ty
  • Options
    ENFIDL:
    medic_x:
    Each cigar is different and everybodys taste to the aging is different. My personal favorite way is to get 3-5 sticks of something I want to try. I then will smoke one right off the truck, then one after a month then one at 3 months, then 6 months and then again at a year if I'm that patient with them...haha Usually they don't last past 3-6 months for me though....lol I try to do it this way to check it at various points of aging to see where I like it the best.
    this is 100% true.

there is some more info on THIS link

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Some mild cigars can be pretty boring that's for sure, but there are some out there that are damn tasty, like CAO Gold. Tons of flavor for a milder stick. San Cristobal is another great one for flavor with a bit more body and without dominant pepper or spice. Rocky Patel 1990 is a great medium maduro and going further towards full-bodied you could try Padilla Miami (great with a little age on it).
  • Options
    The vintage 1990 is one of my regular smokes as well as partagas and romeo reserva real and nub cameroon...im very partial to the sweetness of the cameroon wrapper for my regular smokes....just looking for something more robust i can enjoy with out all the spiciness and strong pepper. i tried my first padron 2000 the other day fully expecting to be overwhelmed and although it was spicier than i prefer i enjoyed it...i wish i would have posted this before placing the order im currently waiting on....lol though i took advantage of some great deals on my regular favs. anyway....im looking forward to trying everyones suggestions and have informed the wife that if i dont get a humi for my b-day in february that there is gonna be trouble...lol
  • Options
    Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    I am curious to see if you get more advice. I should write some of these down.

Have you tried any of the Gurkha Empire Series? I tried and enjoyed the VI. I havent seen many comments here though
  • Options
    RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Posts: 106

Cigar.com has quite a few great brands but according to your tastes, I would suggest the following:
    Perdomo 10th Anniversary Maduro
    Casa Magna Oscuro
    CAO La Traviata
    CAO La Traviata Maduro
    Liga Privada
    Diamond Crown Maduro
    Perdomo Patriach
    CAO Brazilia
    Cusano LXI Habano

Hope this helps!
    HAPPY SMOKING!
  • Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Some great suggestions on this thread, I will have to try some of these out! Seem to be right up my alley.