Home Cigar 101
Options

Lighter replacement

2»

Comments

• Options
    idrivea9:
    So what is a guy who has the pleasure of living up in the mountains to do???? I find it takes about 4 wooden matches to get my cigar going... :(

Brian
    I've ran into the same problem you are having before. Last time I took a Skiing trip to Canada neither of the lighters I had taken with me would work. Another person on the trip let me borrow his lighter which was one of those mountain climber survial type lighters.

I did some digging and found the link: http://www.bestglide.com/windmill_highalt.html
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, Kuzi,

So, what do you suppose is the reason for having to bleed the tank?  I mean, other than the fact that the lighter won't light.  It seems to me that, as fuel is introduced into the tank, whatever air there was in there to begin with has to become compressed to some extent.  And if that's true then, as the fuel is used up, that same amount of air would still be in there - wouldn't it?  It would just re-expand to its original volume, wouldn't it?

I bought a cheapie, no-name triple torch that was empty when it was shipped.  It worked great through four or five fillings and then, for some reason, just turned ***-up on me.  Refilling it hasn't done any good so I just bought a Colibri.  The thing is, the no-name has a viewing port where you can see how much fuel is in it and also the amount of air.

So, is the bleeding an attempt to get rid of the air?  I can't see that as being possible but I'm curious and anxious to learn.  Any enlightenment you can send my way would be, as always, appreciated. 

Thanks muchly,

Marty