Home General Discussion
Options

Nat Sherman

Anyone have any thoughts on Nat Sherman cigars/tobacco products? I've never smoked a Nat Sherman cigar, but received a pair of samplers today for Christmas, and my dad has been a Nat Sherman smoker for decades now. He is a fan of milder cigars, but not flavorless stuff, so I'm looking forward to trying these. I know that the Nat Sherman shop on 5th Avenue is something of an institution in NYC (and I have a vivid memory of going there as a child, with my father and his father once while in the City), and that they also make a variety of high quality tobacco products. I like that they make cigarettes that are 100% tobacco filled (because if you go buy a pack of Marlboros, the ingredients list is literally like 800 items long), and actually taste like fine tobacco.

Anyway, any of you guys that have been around for a while have any experience with Nat Sherman products? The sticks I got today look and smell fantastic, and my dad says that he thinks of the company as being sort of like the American version of Davidoff (granted, their cigars are expensive, but anything like the prices Davidoff's products fetch).

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Any pics? I've had a couple Nat Sherman cigars and can say I've enjoyed them, although that is a brand I haven't much looked into.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    No pics right now, but I got the V.I.P. Baron Selection (5 cigars from the V.I.P. line), and a 4 stick sampler of the Metropolitan line (2 Maduros, and two Naturals, in a toro size). They look and smell fantastic. The Connecticut wrappers especially are great looking. They have a very very light shade to them. Like they are somewhere between English Market Selection and Claro in color. The Maduros are super oily and toothy too.
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    One of the first few cigars I ever had was a Nat Sherman Host Selection. I know I bought at least one box of the Hobart (5x50). I recall them as being mild, a bit of sweetness, and an enjoyable smoke. Still believe it to be a good smoke but I've moved on to more full-bodied cigars. Glad to see it mentioned. Gives me the thought of getting a few for when a mild smoke is desired. Just checked the price and it's the same I was paying 5 years ago. It was a good deal then and even better now.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I have only had 3 Nat Shermans. I bought these from a worker at a B&M who had a assortment of sticks in a box in a walk-in humi. His story was the box belonged to the former owner. The Nat's he CLAIMED where many years old , like over 30 years old. He was trying to sell them for $40.00 dollars a piece and claimed the old owner sold them for $50.00 . Me and a friend I was with got him down to $20.00 a piece and took 3 each. Then he showed us a Glass jar they came in and there was no dates you could make out but it was old looking and the label very faded almost unreadable. Now , I don't know how old they really were but I have never been able to find ANY info on them. The label said Nat Sherman and also Canary Island was on the band. Can't find any info on them. They were about 42 t0 46 ring and about 6 inches from what I remember. Here's the thing They Were Absolutely Delicious !!!!!! They had a fruity, hints of vanilla and banana and a very very unique spicey flavor. After I smoked the first one I went back and he had sold the last 6 he had left and the jar . Have not been able to find anything on the internet that comes close to looking like these. I have the bands put up and will try to find them and post a pic. This would be a good research project for any cigar sleuths out there with time on their hands .
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    No pics right now, but I got the V.I.P. Baron Selection (5 cigars from the V.I.P. line), and a 4 stick sampler of the Metropolitan line (2 Maduros, and two Naturals, in a toro size). They look and smell fantastic. The Connecticut wrappers especially are great looking. They have a very very light shade to them. Like they are somewhere between English Market Selection and Claro in color. The Maduros are super oily and toothy too.
    Very nice, this post prompted me to look into their cigars a bit more and I'd like to pick up a sampler to try. The ones I've had are from the 1400 line, the double corona and omerta, they are a nice fuller bodied cigar, good flavor though a tad harsh, I'd bet 6 months would smooth them out a lot.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Bump. Alex? Anyone else? I know you guys don't carry Nat Sherman product, but surely, being in the industry as long as you have you must have some insight into this brand?