Home General Discussion
Options

opus X worth it?

ooook. so. instead of ym shop selling single opus cigars. they decided to give away 25 of em at a time in events and whatnot, instead of selling them. but they do have a 5 bag. each bag has an opus x. but,i dont no what the other 4 cigars are. im sure there nice cigars. rangeinf fomr 6-12 dollers. but the bag itself is 56 bucks. im just wondering. is the opus x worth droping that kind of dough for?

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    56 for 5 cigars with an opus is sort of a toss up in my opinion.. It would depend on what cigars other than the opus were. I know you could get two opus X's for about that. If the other cigars were one's you wanted to try than I would say you should go for it. i haven't had an opus yet, but I do have a couple on the way. They get a lot of praise, and I figure if you want to at least taste some good reviewed cigars than sometimes you have to pay more than one would usually pay.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I'd have to agree, it depends on what else is in the bag. I have only had 2 Opus and they are good cigars, but INMHO not worth more than 10-15 per stick. I have seen them range up to $50 a pop. There are just too many other cigars that compare to drop that much on a one time thing.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    If you aren't at in the least interested in the other sticks, then it's not worth it. The opus is a good smoke but you can get them cheaper than $56 bucks (if you just end up trading or not liking the other 4 sticks). Also, the size of the opus will be a big factor here. Each opus, depending on size may have a different flavor profile. As an alternative, you could post in the trades section that you're looking to try an opus and are willing to trade (list whatever you have) or buy one off someone.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

wmaxham:
    ooook. so. instead of ym shop selling single opus cigars. they decided to give away 25 of em at a time in events and whatnot, instead of selling them. but they do have a 5 bag. each bag has an opus x. but,i dont no what the other 4 cigars are. im sure there nice cigars. rangeinf fomr 6-12 dollers. but the bag itself is 56 bucks. im just wondering. is the opus x worth droping that kind of dough for?

Find out what the other four sticks are. I don't think a respectable B&M would put cheap sticks in with an Opus and charge that kinda price. If the other four sticks are in the 8 to 10 dollar range then it should be a good deal.

• Options
    vankleekkw:
    I'd have to agree, it depends on what else is in the bag. I have only had 2 Opus and they are good cigars, but INMHO not worth more than 10-15 per stick. I have seen them range up to $50 a pop. There are just too many other cigars that compare to drop that much on a one time thing.
    I wish I could get me mind around that way of thinking....
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    5 cigars. $56. one opus retails in the 9-18 range depending on state tax and what not...

if all 5 were Opus i would jump on it. hell... id get two.
    if 4 were opus i would jump on it.
    if three were opus and i respected the other two i would get it.
    if three were opus and i didnt really respect the others i would consider it but probably not buy it
    if two were opus and the others i had a ton of respect for (ashton VSG, Preferidos, Davidoff, gurkha (G3, regent, centurian, fuerte) i would probably buy.
    if two were opus and i had only some respect for the other cigars i would consider it but probably not buy.
    If only one were opus and i was tight on money and i had tried all the others and had some respect for them then i wouldnt buy.
    if there was only one Opus and i wasnt tight on money but i didnt like even one of the other four i would not buy.

it really does depend on the other smokes. Personally, i wont pay more than MSRP for an opus ( or any cigar actually) but the $9-$18 range IMHO would be worth it.
  • Options
    I have yet to find opus's at msrp.. I wish though =(
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my local B&M has been dealing with Fuente for many years and they get OpusX a few times a year. sometimes i catch it, sometimes i dont. this is the only place i have seen them at MSRP
  • Options
    Kuzi, your lucky, I have 2 shops around me (that I know of) and 1 has good prices but only has a small selection, while the other has a larger collection, but are spendy. They really jack up the prices.
  • Options
    Or you could just buy a single from here. They seem to be in stock for the time being. LINK
  • Options
    wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    well. i found a stick for 20 bucks. but the inch smaller version of the torpedo i got is 35 bucks on cigar.com so i the bigest one. havnt smoked it yet. and in the bag. it was 2 opus and 3 fuenta series, like 8 dollers a stick. so maybe a 60-65 doller bag at there prices in singles. and my dealer gets em 4 times a year. but i snaged one anyway. so ill tell you how it goes tommarow. cant smoke on halloween. got to much stuff to do.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Never had an opus 9-18 a stick is a little too spendy for me right now.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Never had an opus 9-18 a stick is a little too spendy for me right now.
    I would pay 9-18 anyday for an Opus since most of the time I find them for 25 or more. True, it is spendy but I will do that 3 or 4 time a year.. they are that good.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    If I ever find a B&M around here that has soem I'd be more than happy to buy a few, but I just can't find them anywhere localy...