Home Cigar 101

Cellophane wrappers

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭

Hi cigar forums,

I'm very new to smoking cigars and I'm finding there is quite a learning curve to it, albeit a fun one.  My wonderful girlfriend just bought me a beautiful 150 cigar, personalized humidor, along with about 40 premium cigars, half of which are 90+ rated.  My question is, is it better to take the cellophane wrappers off the sticks when storing in a humidor, leave it on, or does it even matter?

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    It comes down to personal preference. Cellophane is a permeable material, so moisture can reach your cigars. Some people take it off for appearance or for better aging. I like to leave mine on because it provides a layer of protection as I tend to rifle through my humidor when looking for a smoke. Welcome to the forums.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Thanks, sightunseen.  Love the avatar.  "My spoon's too big!"
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    y2pascoe:

Hi cigar forums,

I'm very new to smoking cigars and I'm finding there is quite a learning curve to it, albeit a fun one.  My wonderful girlfriend just bought me a beautiful 150 cigar, personalized humidor, along with about 40 premium cigars, half of which are 90+ rated.  My question is, is it better to take the cellophane wrappers off the sticks when storing in a humidor, leave it on, or does it even matter?

Welcome to the Forums bro'. It is totally up to you as to the question of the cello wrapper. Some leave them on for extra protection when rummaging through your humi. Others like to remove them , as they consider it a benefit to aging. Some Premium sticks don't come with any cello on them from the factory... it is all a personal choice.
  • When I started I always took the sticks out the celly. Now If they come with it I leave it on, but if I take it off then decide to smoke something else I hate putting it back on. I have had a few sticks that have been damaged because I have rummaged a little to much and they had no celly.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Like a good woman, cigars look, smell, and taste better naked ;)

I take my cello off since it helps aging; I've gotten a few knicks here and there from rummaging through the humidor, but nothing that would affect the cigar.

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Like a good woman, cigars look, smell, and taste better naked ;)

I take my cello off since it helps aging; I've gotten a few knicks here and there from rummaging through the humidor, but nothing that would affect the cigar.

+1, Actually I started leaving my on lately. I have about 125 naked and about 250 wrapped.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I first started removing all wrappers then decided I didn't like the foot of the cigars getting banged up (these tears will cause burn issues and heat can continue a crack or tear to grow as you smoke), no matter how careful you are this will happen, better to just avoid and keep it on...opinion based on experience...I have also come to like the look of a cigar in a wrapper...when it comes to aging better naked, well just a thought, true aging IMO of more than a year I highly doubt that a naked stick would be any different than a wrapped stick and especially when you get in to serious aging 3+ years...
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Neither way is right nor wrong. Welcome to the forum. And if this is your first Humi, make sure you season it before putting any sticks in it
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it really doesnt matter at all.
    there are positives and negatives to both. most of the positives and negatives arent even make-or-break on the decision.

we have a ton of threads on this topic. do a search for more info.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Just to add my preference, I so hate chipped cigars that I save cello to cover the ones I receive that are uncovered. ( Cabinet or Cubans ) so every one of mine are cello protected. I have many singles and search through them a little too often. Welcome to you as well.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and treat your girlfriend well, she's a keeper!
  • PsychoSJG:
    Neither way is right nor wrong. Welcome to the forum. And if this is your first Humi, make sure you season it before putting any sticks in it

What do you mean season it?
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I leave the cellophane on.But I unfold the end and cut the excess off with scissors.The stick is still protected but can breathe a little easier.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Brycicles:
    PsychoSJG:

You have to prime the humidor to get it to its optimal humidity level. Google "how to season a humidor," it's pretty easy.
    Light 'em up.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    JCizzle:
    Brycicles:
    PsychoSJG:

You have to prime the humidor to get it to its optimal humidity level. Google "how to season a humidor," it's pretty easy.
    What he said. If the humi isnt seasoned, it will take away the humidity from your sticks and dry em out
  • PsychoSJG:
    JCizzle:
    Brycicles:
    PsychoSJG:

What he said. If the humi isnt seasoned, it will take away the humidity from your sticks and dry em out

Oh Crap! Thanks for the advise! Good thing I seen this or I'd be screwed with my new humi!
  • cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    my 2 cents I leve celli on because of change in season, rising or droping the humi % in my humi alot for a week or two till I re-accument to a new set up. the celli's in my opinion help the cigar during this time so as not to effect the cigar as much because its in its own little world changes over a few days will not effect as much.
  • SgtRickSgtRick Posts: 75
    One thing I didn't see mentioned in this old debate is beetles. Leaving the cello on will contain a beetle outbreak should your humidor reach temps for them to hatch. As for myself half are and half are off. Most of my premiums have them on if they came that way. I am not home to watch my humidors so the wife tends to them. At the end of the day its a personal choice.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    SgtRick:
    One thing I didn't see mentioned in this old debate is beetles. Leaving the cello on will contain a beetle outbreak should your humidor reach temps for them to hatch. As for myself half are and half are off. Most of my premiums have them on if they came that way. I am not home to watch my humidors so the wife tends to them. At the end of the day its a personal choice.
    I think someone on here had mentioned that they'd seen beetles eat right through the celo...
    Light 'em up.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    cooch36:
    my 2 cents I leve celli on because of change in season, rising or droping the humi % in my humi alot for a week or two till I re-accument to a new set up. the celli's in my opinion help the cigar during this time so as not to effect the cigar as much because its in its own little world changes over a few days will not effect as much.
    Yes!!! I've recently come to this same conclusion as well. Most of my sticks are naked but all the cigars I've ordered recently are still wrapped and I'm keeping them that way.

I've definitely noticed on those hot, muggy summer days when my RH spikes faster than my beads can keep up with the wrapped ones don't react as fast whereas my naked ones get big around the foot very quickly. I'm converted to a wrapped man.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    When I first started smoking cigars, i took the cello off...but soon realized that I got tired of the cigars getting cracked when i would sort through them. I decided to leave them on in m y regular humi and take them off for better aging in my aging humi. But like others have said, it's personal choice.

"Long ashes my friends."

• crzydimnd68:
    I leave the cellophane on.But I unfold the end and cut the excess off with scissors.The stick is still protected but can breathe a little easier.

I like this idea... I take it one step further though... after i cut off the end by the foot, I squeeze the head a little to make the foot flush with my cut then cut the cellophane flush with the head... both ends open to breathe, cellophane still intact to protect.... is any of this really necessary? probably not, but it keeps me busy... ha, ha, ha
  • Thanks for asking the question. I have done both. But did not which was correct. And thanks for all the replies.