Home General Discussion

tar on cigar tip

So recently I've been noticing towards the middle to end of my cigars that there are little tar icicles (for lack of a better term) coming out of the mouthpiece (I forget the proper name for it) of my cigars. I have just been dabbing it on a rock after I take a puff (I usually smoke in a patio filled with rocks). I was just wondering what everybody else does when they find this tar oozing out of their cigars. Seems strange that I've never noticed this before a few weeks ago.

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've heard of this, but never experienced it. What's it look like? Is it black like, well, tar?
  • Are you by chance using a bullet punch for cutting your cigar caps? I know this can cause tabacco tar build-up because it concentrates the smoke into a smaller exit.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I have had this happen to me before on occasion, whether I use a punch or straight cut, though it has happened less since I have dropped the humidity I keep my smokes at down to the mid to high 60s rather than at 70. I also noticed it when I tend to chew on a cigar more. It makes total sense to me why it happens. Rich tobacco will most likely produce more tar. I merely try to keep the tar out of my mouth and wipe it with whatever is around to keep it from my lips.

I have another question about tar for the wise (or not so wise) chaps perusing the forums. I find that when I'm done smoking a nice stick, when I blow my nose, there is obviously tar in my...for lack of a better term...snot. After reading up a bit, I figure I my be exhaling too much smoke through my nose. It was suggested that I try to get to a point where I am exhaling about 50% of the smoke through my nose, but it seems that may be a little hasty. Any other suggestions?

sorry it isn't a real glamorous topic.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    first:
    my punch is a large ring gauge punch and i keep my RH low and only put my cigar in my mouth to draw... so i dont ever have tar build up.

second:
    tar in your snot? geeez. ive never had that happen to me. then again i probably only do about 25% of the smoke out through the nose.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I have this problem from time to time as well. A number of things can cause it.
    1. A narrow opening at the head(small punch or a torpedo cigar). You're routing all the smoke through the small opening causing it to almost work like a filter and all the tar and nicotine in that small area builds up.
    2. You smoke wet. If you get the tip of your cigar very wet while smoking it causes this as well.
    3. Very oily cigars cigars do this this as well. That oil when burned passes through the cigar as tar and builds up at the head.
    4. Smoking too fast can cause this. You heat the cigar up causing more steam and tar builds up in the cigar.

I'm sure there are more reasons than those but these are ones that I know.

I think its fairly obvious how to avoid the things I stated above(if they are avoidable) but here are a few things I've done to 'fix' the problem after its started on a stick. Take a paper towel and press it against the foot and let it soak up that tar. Then blow through the stick and let it sit for as long as you can without it going out, to let it cool down. Continue to smoke slower than you were previously. If this doesn't fix the issue clip a little more off the cap, this always works for me but isn't the first thing I try bc it isn't always best for the enjoyment of the cigar.
    kuzi16:

tar in your snot? geeez.

Well, you know the good ole boys down in southeast ohio....well, actually, I don't do anything that I haven't heard others doing. I take my time with a cigar, allowing it to cool before the next draw and blowing through on occasion. Sometimes, I sit and watch the clock as a smoke, a bit ridiculous, I know.

I remember when I first was able to release smoke through my nose, without inhaling any smoke. It totally changed the way cigars tasted, for the better in most cases. I read in a publication that the ideal was a 50-50 split, and really, as long as I don't mind a little tar in the nostrils, more pronounced flavor does come through(IMO) Not only that, but after a nice long smoke, I can smell that sweet aroma for sometime an hour afterward.
    bbc020:
    Well, you know the good ole boys down in southeast ohio..
    im one of em. my dad and used to hunt out in brown county... Macon area. ... and again in the Rarden area on mead corporation land.
    I really wouldn't consider myself a "good ole boy", I didn't drive a tractor to school, but a lot of my friends did. Brown county is buggy country, families take their horse and buggies to school, but very beautiful country.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    Thanks madurofan. Thinking back to my experiences, the cigars I've had this happen to were torpedos, and were most likely on the oily side. Anyways, I definately don't smoke wet and I keep a steady pace when smoking my cigars. I guess I'll have to learn to live with this because I really enjoy smoking torpedos and oily cigars.
  • Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    urbino:
    I've heard of this, but never experienced it. What's it look like? Is it black like, well, tar?
    It basically looks like one or two brownish copper colored bumps. What I most dislike about it is after you wipe it off, one or two puffs later, there it is again.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I'll be damned. Never seen anything like that.

Thanks, Dean.
    urbino:

Thanks, Dean.
    consider yourself lucky. its bitting and bitter if you taste it. makes you wanna put the cigar down. it gives me the heeby geebies thinkin about it.

ive only had this happen once or twice. that was enough. lower RH, less slobber, larger punch. no problem any more.
    urbino:

Thanks, Dean.
    consider yourself lucky. its bitting and bitter if you taste it. makes you wanna put the cigar down. it gives me the heeby geebies thinkin about it.

ive only had this happen once or twice. that was enough. lower RH, less slobber, larger punch. no problem any more.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Big Dean:
    Thanks madurofan. Thinking back to my experiences, the cigars I've had this happen to were torpedos, and were most likely on the oily side. Anyways, I definately don't smoke wet and I keep a steady pace when smoking my cigars. I guess I'll have to learn to live with this because I really enjoy smoking torpedos and oily cigars.
    Well try clipping a little bit more off when it happens.