Home General Discussion

possibly a stupid question? i need help

I have been reading up on cigar terms and what not and I think its fair to say now that I have a pretty good grasp on it.I have learned alot on my own and the rest, all of you gentleman out there helped me understand.My question is how do you know if a cigar has a sweet cap? Or how do you know if the cigar is just plain sweet? ( like lick your lips and taste it sweet). I was told in the past maduro and camaroon some,yes others im like wtf are you talkin about! i just hate wasting money on sticks that I think are one thing then im greatly dissapointed when I smoke it.Can someone please help me figure this out in lay terms perhaps thanks guys

Comments

• sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Lick the cap. Some cigars have a subtle sweetness due to the natural sugars in the leaf (like maduros). Infused cigars like ACIDs have a very noticeable sweet cap. I think when the term "sweet cap" is used for traditional cigars, don't expect a lollipop.
  • Next time you place an order, add a Flor De Oliva to the order. It's less than $2.50. Take a puff of that, and you'll know what a sweet cap is. The cigar itself is very good - but there's a noticeable sweetness on the cap that impacts the flavor.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Yeah its pretty much trial and error in the cigar world for two reasons one taste is subjective so on mans sweet may not be another's and two there really is no absolutes when it comes to cigar flavors since tobacco is a plant. Maduro and camaroon are very good suggestions for naturally sweet cigars some will be sweeter than others. If you want "sweet" like sugar on the lips I would say go for drew estate like KUBA KUBA or oculance 3(sp) every drew estate I have had has been way to sweet on my lips its one of the reasons I have never liked any I tried.
  • Big ErnBig Ern Posts: 72
    I know not to expect a lollipop dude thats not what i mean im into acid,tabak,helix,etc so you get the idea of what i enjoy.I know to lick the cap,but how do i tell if it has a sweet taste like these other cigars ive listed,when im ordering cigars online or buying them at a smoke shop I dont think theyll let me back in the store if i lick their cigars ya know?.sorry dude its driving me nuts
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Big Ern:
    I know not to expect a lollipop dude thats not what i mean im into acid,tabak,helix,etc so you get the idea of what i enjoy.I know to lick the cap,but how do i tell if it has a sweet taste like these other cigars ive listed,when im ordering cigars online or buying them at a smoke shop I dont think theyll let me back in the store if i lick their cigars ya know?.sorry dude its driving me nuts
    Ok, I may have misunderstood your question. To know if a cigar will have a sweet cap like the cigars you have mentioned, the only telling theme is that they are all infused blends. A traditional cigar would not have the same sort of sweetness that are present in an ACID or a Tabak Especial. Hope that helps.
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    sightunseen:
    Big Ern:
    Ok, I may have misunderstood your question. To know if a cigar will have a sweet cap like the cigars you have mentioned, the only telling theme is that they are all infused blends. A traditional cigar would not have the same sort of sweetness that are present in an ACID or a Tabak Especial. Hope that helps.
    I am by no means an expert. But i would agree with Sightunseen stick with the Infused cigars to get the taste you desire. I personally cant stand that sweetness so i stay away and instead perfer the hint of sweetness i get in a Maduro or Cameroon.

If your placing an order with CCOM call. They will help you out with their expert knowledge, And do the same in a B&M ask the guys working they will help you out.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I pretty sure Baccarat puts something ontheir caps that is sweet but is not infused.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Not many cigars have sweetened caps (off the top of my head NONE) that are not in some way flavored or infused. Sweetened caps have actual sugary sweetness artificially inseminated into the tobacco. Yeah it is so nasty to me that I had to use that analogy. Ewwwww.

That said, to each there own, and I know that plenty of people (obviously, look at the kind of sales figures they do!) love flavored and infused cigars. I'm just glad that Drew Estate, for example, took their quality cigar craftsmanship into the traditional cigar market.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Just keep on with the trial and error, order more of the ones you like, and trade away the ones you didn't. ;-)
    Light 'em up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    KCW:
    I pretty sure Baccarat puts something ontheir caps that is sweet but is not infused.
    this is actually a sugar tipped cigar.
    i like the cigar... other than the sugar tip.

many traditional cigars (not infused or artificially sweetened) are called "sweet" because there is a very subtle sweetness to them compared to other wrappers. its sweet the way black licorice is sweet. make sense?
    look in my signature for the "developing your palate" thread. ask question on it as well. maybe it will help. maybe it wont.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    I think what you seem to be looking for are actually called infused cigars. These are smoked and enjoyed by many. I tried a drew estates cigar once, and it was pretty tasty. When people generally talk about a sweetened cap, they are talking about a very very slightly sweet naturally occuring tobacco flavor.

For your tastes, this would seem to be very bitter, and totally unsweet. Think of it like coffee, there are many different blends, with some people able to pull incredible tasting notes out of plain coffee, and some people prefer it with a little sugar.