Home Non Cigar Related

The Gavel's been handed off

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Well, it's official - John Boehner is the Speaker of the House after Nancy Pelosi passed it off to him.

Something I found a bit odd - maybe I'm reading too much into it, but Pelosi kept referring to herself and the Dems as "Custodians of American values", and referred to Boehner and the Repubs as a "Servant of America". Now, IIRC, a custodian makes decisions for their wards - they are the master who makes decisions they deem to be in the best interest of their wards, while a servant carries out the wishes of their masters, regardless how they personally feel - two very different positions. Just an observation.

Comments

• VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I read it to say the Pelosi was telling the repubs that the Dems are the new party for values ...not just the bible nuts, millionaires, and guys who have closet gay affairs. Also, that she was trying to imply she hopes the right will be servants to the people, and not only special interests or those top 1% that are catered to. Truth is likely somewhere in the middle of our takes.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Interesting that you say that - a few analysts have noted that some Dems in recent weeks have been saying that Jesus would want universal healthcare, that God would want everyone to be equal (now, it needs to be said that if a Repub said that, he'd be mocked mercilessly and called a "bible thumper, but I digress)

It's interesting that you said the Dems are the new party for values - it really does seem that the Dems are trying to recast themselves as the party of values, much like the Repubs tried to recast themselves as the party of fiscal responsibility after the 2008 campaign. It'll be interesting to see if they're successful in this - we already know what the Repubs will run on in 2012, but I think what we're seeing here is the Dems beginning to lay the groundwork for their 2012 campaign theme.

Agreed on your last paragraph there. I wish both sides could find more true ideas to stick to and help the country instead of who has better family values, morals, religion, ect. How about the better actual plans that are laid out, plausible, achievable, and more than just tallking points to make people cheer at a rally............I think all of us can agree on that.
    True; way too much politicking going on on both sides.
    BTW----I think its just you and I here this afternoon:)
    lol - it'll be quiet until Krieg or Pheebs get in
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    True; way too much politicking going on on both sides.
    Yup
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Did you forget about me? I am slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun! What I want to see is for someone to please close the money spigot before it is entirely to late.
    fla-gypsy:
    xmacro:
    Did you forget about me? I am slightly to the right of Atilla the Hun! What I want to see is for someone to please close the money spigot before it is entirely to late.
    lol, I knew you'd show up and chime in, but I figured Krieg or Pheebs would kick things off with a good 5-paragraph speech that got everyone going ;)

At any rate, closely the spigot is the hope. But I was watching the news, and one of the guys from the debt commission, (Alan something?) said that when you ask the Repubs or the Dems about their plans, they say they're gonna cut - but when you ask what specifically they'll cut, they get evasive.

The thing that annoys me, is that no one is willing to say what everyone else is thinking - entitlement reform. It either means cutting benefits for seniors now, or cutting benefits for future seniors/those currently working. Either way, there's gonna be a lot of **** about what gets cut, and it seems that no one wants to say what's gonna be cut for fear of being targetted by the other party