Home General Discussion
Options

So whats everyone fav drink to have with their cigars.

I would have to say some red wine at night and some Dr Pepper during the day.

Comments

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Water, milk, or rum. Loooooves me some rum.

Edit: Oh yeah...and coffee...dur.. Thanks pheebs.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    dr. pepper or vanilla coke. sometimes water and in the mornings always coffee.
  • Options
    Milk really I would never ever think of that. How is that with your sticks?
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Dr. Pepper, or more commonly, Sam Adams, simply because I don't care for most rums (and the only ones I do care for, cost a %^&* lot!!)
  • Options
    Love it. Helps coat the palate to allow smoke to settle and tickle the senses more..and provides a welcome reprieve from the acidity of a cigar sometimes.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Arnold Palmer... half tea, half lemonade, ALL DELICIOUS!

• Options
    xmacro:
    Dr. Pepper, or more commonly, Sam Adams, simply because I don't care for most rums (and the only ones I do care for, cost a %^&* lot!!)
    Dude... Zaya 12yr rum - delicious, and got a bottle of it for $26 recently.

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I love having a godfather with my smokes...
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr. Pepper or water
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Usually a good single malt Islay scotch. Sometimes a nice rum like Zaya (damn you Hays!) or some Pyrat XO Reserve. If it's a morning smoke I love a good cup of coffee with a cigar.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Diet Coke or Buffalo Trace Bourbon(thanks to Urbino for turning me on to my new favorite Bourbon)
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    usually a good scotch with a cube of ice (aberlour is my current) or a nice rum (ron zacapa 23, or flor de cana 15-18 with a cube or two of ice)
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I never would have guessed all the Dr. Pepper fans out there!

I like coffee in the morning; beer, whiskey or tequila at night. The coffee is usually dark and oily. The beer varies greatly depending on the cigar but is always a nice quality micro-brew. The whiskey is usually Bushmills or a Highlands Scotch. The tequila varies too but is usually a quality blanco, I'm not too interested in having my tequila taste like oak.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A nice Imperial Porter, especially with Maduros.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Manhattan. Thanks to jdorais for turning me on to that one.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Hays:
    xmacro:
    Dude... Zaya 12yr rum - delicious, and got a bottle of it for $26 recently.
    Much appreciated. I'll pick some up next time I'm at the store
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    letsgowithbob:
    usually a good scotch with a cube of ice (aberlour is my current) or a nice rum (ron zacapa 23, or flor de cana 15-18 with a cube or two of ice)
    Hey brother, have you seen the whiskey rocks? Just freeze 'em and then pop 'em in the glass with your rum, cools it nicely without watering it down.

Also, phenominal choices of rum.....I LOVE the Zacapa when I smoke; hell, I LOVE even when I am not smoking, LOL
  • Options
    Hays:
    Love it. Helps coat the palate to allow smoke to settle and tickle the senses more..and provides a welcome reprieve from the acidity of a cigar sometimes.
    I will have to try it sometime
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    cigar smoke is slightly alkaline in nature.
    cigarette smoke is acidic. the fermentation process used in cigar production that is not used in cigarette production is the difference
    milk is closer to the magic number 7 on the pH scale (neutral)
    the goal is to get your mouth back to the neutral 7 on the pH scale. this is why things like milk, water, and club soda go so well with cigars.

coffee is a bit acidic and thats why many of you like coffee with cigars. the contrast works well for many. its like salt with chocolate or pineapple on pizza.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    kuzi16:
    Hays:
    cigar smoke is slightly alkaline in nature.
    cigarette smoke is acidic. the fermentation process used in cigar production that is not used in cigarette production is the difference
    milk is closer to the magic number 7 on the pH scale (neutral)
    the goal is to get your mouth back to the neutral 7 on the pH scale. this is why things like milk, water, and club soda go so well with cigars.

coffee is a bit acidic and thats why many of you like coffee with cigars. the contrast works well for many. its like salt with chocolate or pineapple on pizza.

I imagine that the fat content in milk has something to do as well. The oils in the cigar that gives it flavor should be preferrentially soluble in non-polar solvents like oils, fats, etc. I suspect that some milk fat on your palate while smoking a cigar helps with flavor transfer as it is a better suited media than straight-up saliva is.

Anyone know if you get different levels of pairing with different fat content milks (whole, 2%, skim, etc)?

Sorry for the geekery but this piqued my curiosity...

As to the original post I generally smoke with a glass of Islay Single Malt (Laphroaig Quarter Cask) with a few drops of water, or coffee, or red wine. I also alwasy bring a glass of water, so I can either pair or clear my palate.
  • Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    The Sniper:
    Arnold Palmer... half tea, half lemonade, ALL DELICIOUS!

• Options
    jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    I like water if it is a new smoke. If it is something I have had before I like to try it with coffee and Tea sometimes in the summer. I cant forget the Arnold Palmer even no i was drinking it long before i knew they called it that.
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Usually beer, never tried Dr. Pepper might have to give that a shot. Unfortunately I don’t drink whiskey anymore.
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    um,

beer
    cider
    rum
    gin
    brandy
    whiskey
    whisky
    red wine

to name a few

oh and coffee usually the next day :p
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    mfotis:
    Usually beer, never tried Dr. Pepper might have to give that a shot. Unfortunately I don’t drink whiskey anymore.
    I think Diet Dr. Pepper is WAY better! but, I also like diet pepsi better than regular pepsi too (most diet sodas are better IMO) I definitely suggest trying diet Dr. P though, it's pretty awesome.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Rum. Though I do coffee in the mornings quite a bit, and in the winter month, I tend to go for scotch more often than rum.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    doromath:
    As to the original post I generally smoke with a glass of Islay Single Malt (Laphroaig Quarter Cask) with a few drops of water, or coffee, or red wine. I also alwasy bring a glass of water, so I can either pair or clear my palate.
    This is exactly what I do as well. I tend to go between the water and the other beverage equally as I smoke. I like to clean out the flavors with the water from time to time.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Another big fan of rum here. Zacapa, Zaya, Plantation, Pyrat XO is pretty good but lighter, Ron Centenario XX is good too, El Dorado 15 is a bit more grassy and less sweet. Still need to get my hands on a bottle of Zacapa XO.
  • Options
    DynaguyDynaguy Posts: 51
    Unsweetened iced tea with a splash of lime juice. Bueno!
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Anything with alcohol in it. =D
    Light 'em up.