Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Gran Habano Vintage from last weeks DD

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
Anyone else pick these up on the DD last week? I got them a day or two ago, and just lit one up to try it

On the tongue, it tastes pretty decent (tastes damn good for the price paid), but when I retrohale (a skill only learned 2 days ago), I keep picking up some kind of chemical. Is this due to inexperience, or is anyone else picking this up?

Comments

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Could be young. The cigar could be in it's sick period.

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I had a helluva time trying to keep the wrapper lit. I put the rest to bed for a while to see if this helps. Kinda disappointed so far.
  • Options
    i pullled the trigger on some but havent tried any yet but from the sounds of it i think ill let them rest for a bit...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Could be young. The cigar could be in it's sick period.

I think Hannibal has it. These are pretty good right off the truck, but definetely better in a few weeks. On the same line of thought, I had this same experience with a 5 vegas Gold Maduro. Smoked it a couple days after receiving it, and it made me think of machine-made cigars with pressed tobacco-paper wrappers. Am waiting to try the next one until a couple weeks go by.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I got that DD also. Will let them rest before I try one. Not to mention it's too cold outside for me.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    These will need some rest. I have smoked many robustos of this stick. Give it some time at 65% RH
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I picked up the same deal and mine are gonna sit till may before i even consider looking at them..... That will be one of the sticks I take out on the golf course with me .... Mine were sitting outside for about 4 hours in lower 20 degree weather so i figure a few months will do wonders for these guys.
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads up guys, I also got this as well. I'll be letting them sit for awhile.
  • Options
    Note to CCom: Please pass along to GH that they did not do us any favors putting this cigar before it was ready, it was definitely NOT READY for consumption and the folks at GH making those decisions did the consumer a huge disservice
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I thought these were a one time run, from like 8 or 9 years ago? How could they possibly be unready to smoke? Unless we are not being told something? lol...
  • Options
    docbp87:
    I thought these were a one time run, from like 8 or 9 years ago? How could they possibly be unready to smoke? Unless we are not being told something? lol...
    That's what confuses me so much. I mean, it says right on the stick "Vintage 2002", so you'd think they didn't need any more aging
  • Options
    Had another one of these, had to chase it with the lighter a bit more than I'd like, but I'm thinking that "aging" is probably not the problem, so much as lack of "resting". Really, just a few weeks and they should be fine. I really like the Gran Habano spiciness that seems to be trademark with their cigars, and these have it. Once rested, they should burn better, and everything will settle down.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    The wrapper on this stick is the only aged part. These were not ready for sparking
  • Options
    On the one vintage I've had the wrapper seemed too oily to burn properly.
    The combustion of the filler wasn't the issue, but the freaking almost fire proof wrapper was.

• Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I will pass along your concerns. I have yet to smoke this size myself. As always, if anyone is unhappy, we will gladly take the back and refund you in full (even if youve smoke a few) if anyone is not satisfied with their purchase. I am going to fire one of these up when I get back from Nicaragua
  • Options
    I am trying to dry box a few of these to see if it helps. I am almost a week into it and will try one soon
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    I am trying to dry box a few of these to see if it helps. I am almost a week into it and will try one soon
    I stuck ten away for the same reason last week, left the rest in the humidor for comparison.

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    The combustion of the filler wasn't the issue, but the freaking almost fire proof wrapper was.

you think dryboxing might help due to the oily wrapper?
  • Options
    And the fact that they may have never properly dried. I smoked one today and it was much better but still had a few burn issues. In the future I will stick to the robusto size on these. I am going to try another on Tuesday. They have improved some. initially the first 2" were totally useless now there is some smokeable portion out there on the end.
  • Options
    xIcedGuardianx:
    stephen_hannibal:

I think I might have to do that for the next one I try.

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    stephen_hannibal:

I think I might have to do that for the next one I try.

My thinking exactly. I've got a cedar lined 3 cigar leather case that is perfect for this.
  • Options
    Tried one that's been in an old (dry) humidor for a few days, some improvement, still had to have the lighter handy

• Options
    I is really interesting how 2 additional inches really messed up a good cigar.
  • Options
    undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    This isn't good to read. I have a golf trip coming up and my dad told me to be on the look out for a good golf course cigar. He usually takes the Bahia Maduro with him for the course and smokes the "good" ones before and after the round. I told him to pick these up because I know how much he loves the robusto. He has had them resting for a month and still have another 5 weeks before the trip. Hopefully a couple months of just sitting there will make them better. I'll make sure to pull them once we get down there and just let them sit out in the open. I'm sure it won't hurt them considering in FL the humi in the air is still decent versus here in Ohio where it's maybe in the 30's.
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    I is really interesting how 2 additional inches really messed up a good cigar.
    who'd a thunk it?

• Options
    I believe this is the first run of the Churchill. They've only produced Robustos in the past. Might be working out the kinks and that's why the first batch was discounted. Kind of like buying the first model of a car. They always find a way to make it better on the 2nd run.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I am a fan of the Robustos but they are a bit tight and have some burn issues. That said I think their flavor is great and I ordered a second bundle of the Robusto. I also got a bundle of the churchills but have been letting them rest for the last 6 weeks.
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    I smoked one the other day with about 3 weeks rest. Very enjoyable smoke for me and no problems. And a great deal for $1.75 ea. Hope the rest are just as good.
  • Options
    Put mine in a dry box a few days, then moved to 65% humidor for another few, took off the cedar and moved to 70%, tried one yesterday, much improved. I have been a huge fan of the robustos, so was very surprised that these had such issues. Wass the improvement from what I did? Dunno, hope so.

• Options
    Well, I stuck all my Gran Habano's in my humi at around 67% RH for the past 3 weeks (didn't dry box anything, just threw them in with everything else.) For the first week, my humidity spiked, and I have a sneaking suspicion it was the Gran Habano's, but it could just as well have been the weather or some screwup on my part when I threw a few Ccom humidity pillows in right next to my hygrometer. At any rate, I smoked one yesterday and another today - VERY much improved. I'll definitely be making this stick a regular in my humi.