Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Request for Lonsdale/Lancero Suggestions

Well, I'm slowly putting together in my mind what I want for my next order and I think I'm about ready to give the lonsdale/lancero vitola an honest try. My experiences to date have all been with ring gauges 50+ except for cigarillos (Monte Whites for quick smokes).

I would like to hear some suggestions from the small-ring guru's (I know at least Kuzi and Doc are big fans) on what cigar really shines in a lonsdale/lancero, and what vitola I should compare it against. My intent is to have the blend as a constant so I can really see just what the vitola brings (unless this is just unnecessary).

For my personal tastes I tend towards med-full blends, though I enjoy the full range from mild to full. Favorite wrappers (for today at least, since it's always changing) have been habano, sumatra and equadorian sun grown.

Thanks in advance gentlemen for any suggestions you may have!

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Some of my favorites:

Oliva V Lancero
    Tatuaje Especiales
    RP Signature Lancero
    Padron Maduro Panatela

I've had other sizes in the above-mentioned blends, but can't give you a lot of info on how they compare since my memory is hazy.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    My post from Sol's thread about Cameroons:

try the LFD Cameroon Cabinet lancero. That is one of the best cigars I've had. I doubt you will be disappointed.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    For a really cheap option, I always keep some Padron Palmas (both maduro and natural) around. They're like 6 1/3x42 or something, and should run you less than 5$/each.

A few other blends that shine in the lance format:
    Air Bender
    Tempus
    Opus Petite Lancero (or any of the small rings)
    Davidoff Grand Cru No.1
    La Aurora 107 Lancero
    El Triunfador (the OR lancero is the best, but the current blend is good in both the lance and the lonsdale)
    Oliva Serie V is great in the lancero
    Illusione ~hl~ is one of the best sizes Dion makes
    Tat Havana VI Victorias (petite lance)

Probably forgetting some good ones, but that's off the top of my head.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    For a really cheap option, I always keep some Padron Palmas (both maduro and natural) around. They're like 6 1/3x42 or something, and should run you less than 5$/each.

Air Bender
    Tempus
    Davidoff Grand Cru No.1
    La Aurora 107 Lancero
    El Triunfador (the OR lancero is the best, but the current blend is good in both the lance and the lonsdale)

+1 to this list, even thought I still haven't been able to get my hands on a La Aurora 107 lancero! I shall find this stick!!!
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Oliva V lancero is delicious.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I havent had one in a while but the Onyx lonsdale was pretty good
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    ejenne87:

try the LFD Cameroon Cabinet lancero. That is one of the best cigars I've had. I doubt you will be disappointed.
    Haven't tried the Cameroon Cabinet lancero, but in the Lonsdale it is fabulous! I think it is the #1? I don't recall off hand. Joe sent me a couple of the lonsdales and since I've bought more - one of my favorites for sure and possibly my favorite LFD.

and a +1 for the original blend of the El Triunfador Lancero - amazing cigar.
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Do it! The longsdale/lancero and cornoa are my favoriate vitolas. The smaller ring cigars are just great. Try the MOW Virtue lonsdale and the MOW corona they are both 6x44 (I dont know why they call one a lonsdale and one a corona). The Padilla Miami is also great in the lancero. If you like the MOW Ruination and the Diesel they are very good in a think ring gauge - but the only way to get them is to buy the Double Happiness Sampler...it's worth it though. I hope AJ will give us a production size Ruination and Diesel with a think ring guage.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    The Padilla Signature 1932 is PHENOMINAL in a lancero, as is the CCom Brazilian Label. I realize you didnt list Brazilian wrappers as faves in your original post, but IMHO if you're gonna smoke one, the CCom Brazilian in the lancero is the one to go with.

• Options
    NightHawkNightHawk Posts: 247
    i second the triunfador lancero (original blend) if you can find any around. I think they are discontinued, but i had picked up a few from a local source, and they are fantastic smokes!
  • Options
    NightHawk:
    i second the triunfador lancero (original blend) if you can find any around. I think they are discontinued, but i had picked up a few from a local source, and they are fantastic smokes!
    They are definitely still in production, just difficult to find.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    docbp87:

Air Bender
    Tempus
    Davidoff Grand Cru No.1
    La Aurora 107 Lancero

this is would be my sampler if i were looking to try the vitola. there are many different flavors/bodies involved here. not only that but there are counterparts to all of those cigars that you can compare the list to. this way you can see what the vitola does to a blend.

the only one i wouldnt have included is the Illusione ~hl~ because Illusione blends each size specifically for that size. all of them are so very different that comparison is hard.
    i wouldnt take it off the list though. i mean.. it is a good smoke.
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    EXCELLENT!

Thanks for the awesome replies everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for and more!

There's some blends up there I really like or at least have some sticks to try (Oliva V Belicoso + Robusto, LFD AB Chisel, Tempus) that should give me a good comparison. I'm thinking in the next order I'll pick up at least two lancero/lonsdales to try in Habano.

Great call Sniper! I do like Brazilian maduros (both the CCOM and CAO went down great) and have a Brazilian label torp in the humi that's been eyeing me everytime I open it up. This is a definite!

Thanks again everyone, feel free to keep throwing suggestions out or discussing your favorites, as I will use this as a reference for rounds two, three, etc of my lancero venture!
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:

Haven't tried the Cameroon Cabinet lancero, but in the Lonsdale it is fabulous! I think it is the #1? I don't recall off hand. Joe sent me a couple of the lonsdales and since I've bought more - one of my favorites for sure and possibly my favorite LFD.

I always do that, I call the lonsdale a lancero. One of these days it's going to stick! It's one of my favorites, you would think I'd know the freaking size...
  • Options
    ejenne87:
    TatuajeVI:
    ejenne87:

I always do that, I call the lonsdale a lancero. One of these days it's going to stick! It's one of my favorites, you would think I'd know the freaking size...
    haha, I was about to start looking around for a lancero Cameroon Cabinet. No idea if LFD makes that one in a lancero.