Home Non Cigar Related

Smoke a cigar for A hero among heros...

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
Don't know if anyone on here watches Band of Brothers, but he was the central character in the series, well Major Winters passed away back on Jan. 2, so next time you light up a cigar, light one up for him. link He was truly a hero among heros.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Will def do that . I have 2 uncles still living who fought in WWII . One fought the germans on that front , the other fought the japenese . Both had close calls with death and to this day , 65 plus years later , there are things neither will discuss . They seem to share a bond from their experiences though that being called brothers does not seem adequate to describe .
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Damn! That's too bad. I read a couple of books about Easy Company and him. I also saw the show. Him and those guys are all heroes. My prayers go out to his family and friends. I will have to light one up this week for him.
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    I'll light one up tonight. Rest in Peace.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    Don't know if anyone on here watches Band of Brothers, but he was the central character in the series, well Major Winters passed away back on Jan. 2, so next time you light up a cigar, light one up for him. link He was truly a hero among heros.
    Well crap... I just posted the same story and a few words about this and then I saw yours. But agreed that we lost a true hero. Let's all smoke one in honor of Major Winters!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Krieg:
    Well crap... I just posted the same story and a few words about this and then I saw yours. But agreed that we lost a true hero. Let's all smoke one in honor of Major Winters!
    considering me and u think alike on quite a few things, im not surprised :)

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I am just glad that Band of Brothers was produced, and they interviewed all those guys, including Winters where they could all tell their story before we lost them. Not many people did that with the WWI vets, and now it's too late.

"Long ashes my friends."

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    I am just glad that Band of Brothers was produced, and they interviewed all those guys, including Winters where they could all tell their story before we lost them. Not many people did that with the WWI vets, and now it's too late.
    I agree with this 100%. To hear those guys tell their story was amazing. My grandfather was a B-17 pilot in WWII and I have a lot of things he brought back. Have several photos out the bomb sites as they were hitting Berlin, a piece of flak that came up through the floor near his foot, his aviator glasses, goggles, and even have a flight suit that was issued to him. It's brand new and still in wrapped up like it was when he got it. The service men from that era were pretty amazing.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    They have rightly been called "The Greatest Generation". I rarely miss a chance to watch anything associated with WW2, it is just fascinating what was accomplished in such a short time.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    fla-gypsy:
    They have rightly been called "The Greatest Generation". I rarely miss a chance to watch anything associated with WW2, it is just fascinating what was accomplished in such a short time.
    And at such cost in human lives. For all the outrage the American public shows when we actually hit double-digit losses in a firefight these days... when these heroes fought in a major battle, the losses could be in the tens of thousands at times.

It was a miracle that ANYONE who served during that time made it through to tell the tale, much less those who volunteered to be the tip of the spear like the 501st Parachute Regiment. IMHO, Major Winters was the best of the best, and our nation is diminished for having lost a man of his caliber.

R.I.P. Major Winters.

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    The Sniper:
    fla-gypsy:
    And at such cost in human lives. For all the outrage the American public shows when we actually hit double-digit losses in a firefight these days... when these heroes fought in a major battle, the losses could be in the tens of thousands at times.

It was a miracle that ANYONE who served during that time made it through to tell the tale, much less those who volunteered to be the tip of the spear like the 501st Parachute Regiment. IMHO, Major Winters was the best of the best, and our nation is diminished for having lost a man of his caliber.

R.I.P. Major Winters.

I think any of us would have a very, very hard time saying it any better than that, Sniper. RIP Major Winters.