Home General Discussion

Army Cigar Smoker looking for a way to carry cigars on mission

Hey guys, this goes out to anyone in the military...well, anyone that can help me out. A while back I saw something in the Army Times doing a Gear Review or a "what to get the soldier in your life" deal and they had a Pouch that could hold 3-4 cigars that would attach to a MOLLE vest. What made this great is that it had little tubes or padding in it or something that would keep the stogies protected while out on mission. I can't seem to find it now but wonder if anyone has come across anything like this. It would be awesome for the guys on my truck (who all love to smoke cigars) if I had a way to carry a cigar on my gear but keep them safe until we were ready to smoke.

Thanks,
TANKERS of WHITE PLT

Comments

• I first would like to say thank you for your service to the great old USA!! Welcome aboard!!
    There are a couple of companies that make storage when traveling in rough conditions. They are called herf-a-dors. Xikar makes one also but the herfadors you can buy right here on ccom. They come in a variety of sizes from a 5 stick case 10, 15, 30, and i think a 50. They are really durable and awesome for tough travel and transportin from here to here.
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    I personally have seen like herf-a-dors that are for single cigars......but dont know if you would ever consider a 5 count herf-a-dor?
  • jsbutcjsbutc Posts: 31
    Thanks for the welcome, Been smokin a cigar or two for awhile now, but bein deployed to iraq really brought it on. Just makes a bad day better when I can have a great stick at the end of it...my gunner actually got me turned onto this site and we've been orderin from here for awhlie now. yeah, I've seen those...and what I'm lookin for is somethin for enough cigars for myself and my 3-4 best friends (my truck crew). And ideally something that I can attach to my vest so that I don't have one more thing to carry to the truck (already have maps, patrol brief, kevlar, anything else I have to bring for the mission and more often than not a redbull or coffee) I'd love to be able to attach a few cigars to my vest and go. I've seen this thing before but can't seem to find it now that I'm lookin for it. Looked alot like the herf a dor but had cloth on the outside in ACU camo print and had straps on the back to loop it on a plate carrier. If I can't find it I'll proly grab a herf a dor and see if I can jerry rig it....I smell a project comin on.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I know what your looking for, as I've been to IQ as well. Unfornately I've never found any molle attachment that worked well for a cigar so what I did was find the biggest cigar tubes i could find and would carry 4-6 of them in a spare pouch, fits in a m-4 pouch pretty good. Maybe the good folks at CCOM here could hook you up with some tubes if they have any laying around.
  • lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big herfador person and I think the digital camo herfador is a must for military smokers.lol I only wish I had the same available when I was in the marines.
    Yes, by the way, LOVE your signature and how true it rings.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you need is my Gurkha Spec Ops Box. It is a herfador on steroids. With the foam it holds 20 and without it holds way more. Xikar also makes large ones. As far as something you could attach to your gear I don't know. Thanks for your service. Try sticking around the boards if you can.
  • Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    a 5 count herf-a-door in a dump pouch that attaches to your webbing might be the best way to go if you cant find anything else.
    yup...I think thats the way I'm gonna end up goin it looks like. Unless I can remember where I saw that pouch I'm thinkin of. Alot of my soldiers have said they have used shotgun shell pouches but they lack the protection something like a cigar caddy or herf a dor would offer.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    this: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-CIO3400 would fit pretty well in a canteen pouch or a magazine pouch maybe. not really the most convenient method but it will work. Maybe you can find some extra metal cigar tubes and toss those in an extra pouch. I know you can get R&J tubes from the foreign PX if you are near any of those.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    ejenne87:
    this: http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-CIO3400 would fit pretty well in a canteen pouch or a magazine pouch maybe. not really the most convenient method but it will work. Maybe you can find some extra metal cigar tubes and toss those in an extra pouch. I know you can get R&J tubes from the foreign PX if you are near any of those.
    Actually, I have not been to Iraq, only Afghanistan, and I don't know if there are any foreign PX's still in Iraq. Maybe one of the members here has some extra tubes...??
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I have a herf-a-dor by Humicare - 15 count, seals air/water tight, floats and has a short lanyard and clip on it, so it'd probably clip easily to your gear/belt.
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    I would recommend a herfador...knew lots of army guys who had those when they came through my FOB. You can get the smaller sized ones which can attach to a MOLLE vest...however, not sure if it would be a burden or not due to its size...may want to check the measurements on the 5 count herfador
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    My 15 count Herf-A-Dor has a short lanyard that threads through a hole in the case... a small carabiner might fit thru the hole. If not, you could just put a carabiner thru the lanyard, and then attach the carabiner to your MOLLE.

Thanks for your service brother, keep your head down & your eyes open til you get back to CONUS!

Thanks everyone, Looks like I am gonna look into gettin a 5 ct herf a dor. That sounds like its about the best fit, and then I could hook it up to get it out to the truck and tie it off on somethin inside the truck so I dont lose it goin over rough terrain lol. sounds like just the thing ;)
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Get a sustainment pouch. I lived out of mine while in Iraq, I had maps, food, dip, cigars, map pens, 9 lines, patrol routes and orders, etc in it as the same time. Best piece of gear I ever had. A 5 count herfador will def fit in it no problems. It's the pouch on the front of my gear: