Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Opus X Shark (Long Read)

My B&M came across a box of the Shark 77 OPUS X. I elected to purchase a few @ $22 a piece along with some Anejo Sharks @ $20 a piece. Pricey but justified for such rare cigars due to demand.

Drink: Starbucks Sumatra

Cut: Straight double blade cut right before the 2nd cap.

Prelight impressions: Evenly thin wrapper with very little tooth, evenly colored torpedo working down to a square foot. No soft spots or uneven feeling through the whole stick. Excellent construction.

Prelight draw: sweet tobacco with no bitterness or sour notes indicative of a long fermintation and box aging due to the cedar finish. Draw similar to a smooth milkshake.

Inital light impressions: used a Xikar dual torch to light. I start to taste spice, sweet tobacco, and dried dates. No issues with lighting. Finish is long with flavor of mixed nuts through the retrohale.

First third: Dried date taste changing to a Leathery taste, still taste sweet tobacco and it lingers on the palate. Finish is clean. Mouth is watering, not a dry smoke, very nice. Finish changing to a sweet cedar flavor from the nutty flavor on the inital lighting. Burn at the foot not razor sharp and started to get a little wonky, a touch of corrective flame to even it up is keeping it straight.

Second third: Leather starting to strengthen now, picking up a creamy coffee flavor. Strength starting to pick up a bit, burn is still wonky and requires a few touch ups. Finish continues with sweet cedar, mouth is beginning to dry up a bit. A bitter note was noticied on the finish but does not detract from the cigar and quicky disappeared.

Final third: Burn has improved moving to the rounded shape of the cigar. Complexity of notes really starts to shine so much so you want it to be through the whole cigar as this is what you look for in a perfect cigar. Flavors of leather, creamy coffee, hazel nut, and dried fruit. The sweetness lingers and the finish is clean and light on the tongue. The Retrohale is smooth and packs all the flavor from the palette through the nose. Burn remains cool through the final inch.

Final thoughts: Yes, this is what you want a $20 stick to represent. This is the best of the Fuente line IMO. Aged Sharks tend to take on a mature taste as this cigar ages. This one is right out of the box with no need for further aging. It doesnt need it IMO. Buy them and enjoy them as you will not find these often and when you do they a worth every penny.
Cigar 010

Comments

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Very nice review. I had a power ranger **** last month that was phenomenal. I plan on trying a different vitola each year around Christmas. Next year is a petite corona I have resting in the humi.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Yes. I don't care if people say there is too much hype. For me, the Opus X blend is the best tasting cigar on the market. Well worth MSRP plus a few bucks if you ask me. The dried fruit+spice+leather flavor profile just cannot be beaten. Plus the slow burn times... oh man. I just smoked a cigar, but I want to go light up an Opus now. Damn.
  • Options
    BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    docbp87:
    Yes. I don't care if people say there is too much hype. For me, the Opus X blend is the best tasting cigar on the market. Well worth MSRP plus a few bucks if you ask me. The dried fruit+spice+leather flavor profile just cannot be beaten. Plus the slow burn times... oh man. I just smoked a cigar, but I want to go light up an Opus now. Damn.
    I have been smoking them since them since 95. Those that appreciate them dont mind paying the price and searching high and low for them. Those that dont dismiss them as a fad or over hyped. Love them or Hate them they are some of the best and most expensive cigars on the market and have a faithful following. More for us less for them is my thoughts. Go ahead and enjoy another one brother, I will be working on the Sandshark for my next review.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    BlueRings:
    docbp87:
    I have been smoking them since them since 95. Those that appreciate them dont mind paying the price and searching high and low for them. Those that dont dismiss them as a fad or over hyped. Love them or Hate them they are some of the best and most expensive cigars on the market and have a faithful following. More for us less for them is my thoughts. Go ahead and enjoy another one brother, I will be working on the Sandshark for my next review.
    I do LOVE the Opus, but the Sandshark will be a review I'm VERY interested in! I was lucky enough to get my hands on one thanks to a BOTL here and I am really excited about trying it someday... Has to be a special occasion though.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I didnt think you can purchase sand sharks?? If you have info on one, can you pm me. I grabbed two of the opus x shark, but I plan to smoke it in a year and the other in 2 years or longer. Sand Shark would be a great find, just hope they are not crazy high price tags...
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Some places will sell them... If you can actually find them. I checked every shop within 100 miles of me with no luck. But when you do find one, the price will be pretty high!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    zeebra:
    I didnt think you can purchase sand sharks?? If you have info on one, can you pm me. I grabbed two of the opus x shark, but I plan to smoke it in a year and the other in 2 years or longer. Sand Shark would be a great find, just hope they are not crazy high price tags...
    Sand Sharks are not released regularly. In fact, I think it was a one time release through Holts.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Must Find Sand Shark!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Must Find Sand Shark!
    no kidding, I wish I could find another one. I got one in a trade a while back. I haven't lit it up yet.

nice review btw.
  • Options
    I think you should just give it to me! ;-)
  • Options
    lol.. I'd like to find more of them. that way if I wasn't too into it I'd trade with ya.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    lol.. I'd like to find more of them. that way if I wasn't too into it I'd trade with ya.
    Well, you know who to keep posted if you do find anymore!
  • Options
    No long stories, here it is, and sorry guys not parting with any. At least I can share it with my brothers in thought and visuals. Enjoy, my review soon to come on this one.

"SandsShark
  • Options
    how many of those do you have?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    I think I dangled the nut in front of the phobicsquirrel. I wish I had more.
  • Options
    BlueRings:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I think I dangled the nut in front of the phobicsquirrel. I wish I had more.
    haha, pretty brave being the new guy. I bite ya know...