Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

The Best Cutters I can find. (XiKar Xi2 01/28/11)

Hello all, This post will begin my exploration into cutters and which ones make the grade and which ones dont. I purchased three of the most popular cutters from Cuban Crafters and Xikar. I searched for the best prices. Cuban Crafters under $20 and Xikar under $35

I purchased the following:

Cuban Crafters Double Blade 24 Perfecto (On the left)

Cuban Crafters 3 Blade Scissors (Center)

Xikar Xi2 Granite Cutter (Right)

All have a lifetime guarantee if they ever go dull or you have any problems with them. I have read on several sites each of the manufacturers are reputable and stand behind their product which was reassuring. I will be reviewing each over the next few weeks and giving an unbiased opinion on each.

I will begin with the Cuban Crafters Double Blade 24 Perfecto this week. I will post my results to this post.

Cutters 002

"Cutters 006

"Cutters 008

"Cutters 011

Comments

• Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Great Idea!

I just picked up a Palio from Ccom, I love it!
  • Options
    BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    nikostewart:
    Great Idea!

I just picked up a Palio from Ccom, I love it!
    Thank you, heard some great opinons on the Palio. This was high on my consideration list, but I tend to stick with the double blades. This is the first time I purchased a three sided scissors so this should be interesting.
  • Options
    MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    Awesome, I need this kind of info.
    I have the MOW cutter from Ccom and i don't really like it.

I will wait for a final review and go on you recommendation, don't screw it up. :)
  • Options
    I have heard mixed reviews on the scissors, definitely a conversation starter!

FYI - The Palio is double bladed, the design team was very clever.
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    nikostewart:

Yes me too, I want a pair of scissors pritty bad. But I'm not sure which to get.
  • Options
    Honestly, I have never head any great reviews on any scissors, only ones I have heard good things about are the xikar multi-tool ones, I think it is more convenience than great performance.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    nikostewart:
    Honestly, I have never head any great reviews on any scissors, only ones I have heard good things about are the xikar multi-tool ones, I think it is more convenience than great performance.
    I've heard great things about the cigar scissors that Wenger puts on some of their SAK's, but they're damned expensive.

• Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    those scissors look like a torture device
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Those scissors look cool, but the three blade action actually just sort of squishes and F's up your cap unfortunately. The other two cutters are great though. Only thing you're missing is a Palio.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    the cuban crafters looks nice. I have an x2 new if anyone wants one. I like the cutter though I prefer the x3 a bit more.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I have a Cuban Crafters Perfect cut (has a backing plate) that I use everyday - after 6mo of use, it still cuts just fine. Love it
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    nikostewart:

I was gifted a set of the three bladed scissors...for all the hype, the only thing they did for me was tear the wrapper. As far as scissors go, I'm sold on my Xikar MTX folding scissors, they are very solid and produce an excellent cut.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    I have a Cuban Crafters Perfect cut (has a backing plate) that I use everyday - after 6mo of use, it still cuts just fine. Love it
    Same here love it had mine for maybe that long now
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I have the exact Xi2 cutter you purchased, and I love it! Between that for my torpedoes & perfectos, and my Xikar V-cutter (which you REALLY need to review!) for everything else, all my cutting needs are solved FOREVER.

If there are better products out there, somebody's gonna have to prove it to me. Good luck with the reviews bro, cant wait to read em!

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Squirrel----Im a bit interested in the Xi2...PM incoming.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Vulchor:
    Squirrel----Im a bit interested in the Xi2...PM incoming.
    You can get them for $20 or so on ebay
  • Options
    RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    Cuban Crafters Double Blade 24 Perfecto has been treating me just fine, and have a great warranty as well.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    a nut cracker..
  • Options
    It all starts with the perfect cap. Which can fail miserably if cut incorrectly. It can cause draw issues which can affect flavor, draw, burn rate, and your burn line not to mention pieces of tobacco that show up between your teeth when it all falls apart. All this done incorrectly can have the best cigars spiral out of control; I am in search of the perfect cutter and have narrowed it down to the three of my preferences, but perfection is seldom achieved. Let see how close we can get.

Starting with the Cuban Crafters Perfecto 24.

Price: $ 14.99 USD

Material: Stainless steel

Fit: Not a lot of play seems to close up tightly with an almost scissor like quality. However it does not lock into place.

Follow though: It is sharp enough to cut a 54 ring gauge cigar with some effort. I would not go any further. I do not feel as engaged as I do with the Xikar Xi2 which locks into place on the follow through. I don’t get the closed/locked feeling like I get with the Xi2. This is however the better of guillotines I have used to date. If you are an assertive cutter you can achieve a clean sharp cut and the backplate keeps the cut out of your lap, just open the cutter and dispose when ready. This is awesome when your are driving as to keep the process quick and clean.

Finish: The stainless is nice; however the finish on the body of the cutter is sharp. The finish is clean but far from perfect. The edges are sharp and can cut your hand. I feel like I am juggling a multiple bladed knife with no stock, ouch. A bit slippery too, so no John Wayne draws out of your pockets or you won’t be able to count to ten.

Weight: Pretty hefty, much heavier than it looks, extended it fully open, it is as long as an iphone 4 and almost as thick. It is half as wide as the phone and half the weight. You can feel it in your pocket. It’s like carrying a small rock.

Size: Index finger to thumb feels right, although if you have larger than a 12 in ring size or you have wide fingers I would not recommend. I have a size 12 index finger and can slide the opening to the second knuckle comfortably. I can slide it to my first knuckle on my thumb but no further. Perfect for my hand size, but no cave man clubs can use this cutter.

Cut style: Straight clean cut, Cutter has a back stop which is fool proof. Just place the cigar in the cutter and follow though surely and swiftly in one cut. The cigar will line up with the back stop. This is the same with torpedoes where the tip is accommodated in a small hole in the back. On a triple cap I tend to cut down to the second cap. I tend to stay at or before the second line so the cigar does not unravel. It was an acceptable depth and will vary with the cap size, and thickness. The smaller the cigar the deeper the cut will seem. It is 1/8 of an inch deep. If the head of the cigar is flat it will cut higher on the collar. If the head of the cigar is cone shape it will cut less. All of the magic for me at least is staying between the first two lines.

Warrantee: Although I have not tested this, the box has a business card that states they will replace in a week (Lifetime Guarantee).

Final thoughts: This is a rock solid cutter with an iron clad guarantee. It is not perfect by any means and is not one size fits all, but it will guide you to make a better cut and not go too far. This is a great tool for the beginner and aficionado alike. All this plus a good price and you have a recipe for a great cutter, not perfecto as the name implies.

"Cutters 006

Following this review will be the Xikar Xi2
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I have had the original Cuban Crafters perfect cut for a year and a half now and it's the only cutter I use. I love it. I love the plate that doesn't allow you to cut too much. It's really nice.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I just used the xikar scissors for the first time. I really like em. You have to pay attention but the level of control is great.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    t_evan50:
    I just used the xikar scissors for the first time. I really like em. You have to pay attention but the level of control is great.
    I bought mine a few months ago and it's the only thing I use anymore. I still carry my Xi2, for friends to use because they seem to have a hard time with the scissors. I also like to use the Bugatti B1 lighter because it has the punches in the side for my larger ring smokes.
  • Options
    Xikar Xi2 Granite Cigar Cutter

Price $35.99 USD

Material: Stainless steel with injected plastic housing

Fit: Very close tolerances, opening springs open the cut like a switchblade and close like a switchblade. It closes to a lock on the follow though which assures me that I have completed the cut with no second guessing. Cuts effectively up to 54 ring gauge, I would not exceed that size.

Finish: clean edges, very nice cutter no quality issues on the finish. The edge is touch cut sharp. Do not attempt to test this as you will draw blood.

Weight: The plastic housing is high quality injection style housing which is light weight. This is the lightest of the cutters that I have and I do not notice it in the pocket.

Size: Small and compact as tall and wide as a pack of cigarettes and very thin ¼ thick.

Cut Style: Scissor style guillotine. A little awkward in the hands but easily getting use to it, user should grab the center of the cutter with the thumb on the release and middle finger on the backside. Then using the index finger to hold the apex and release with the thumb. None of your fingers should be in the way of the opening action of the blade or it will cause it not to open all the way. When ready to cut drop it down into the cup of your thumb and index finger. Your thumb and index fingers should be on either side of the opened body. Apply constant pressure and follow through until the blades click back into place. It should be a quick action for a clean cut.

Warrantee: Lifetime on sharpening or replacing (I will be testing this, more on final thoughts)

Final thoughts: I really like this cutter although I do not love it. I attempted to cut some rolled up paper to test and it actually damaged the blade. Yes, paper damaged the blade, enclosed is the photo of the edge of the blade. Never would I have thought that paper would damage the blade to such degree. Lucky for me it did not affect the cutting process on any of the cigars I tested. I will be testing the Warrantee out on this one and see how easy or difficult this manufacture is in sharpening or replacing the blades. I would consider this a pocket carrier when heading down to the B&M, golf game, or any other event you want to smoke a cigar at due to the size and weight.

Cutters 011

XiKar
  • Options
    fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    agreed. i have both. both are great cutters. the xikar vcut is superior to any vcut on the market. i want to try a palio. ive heard very good things about them
    The Sniper:
    I have the exact Xi2 cutter you purchased, and I love it! Between that for my torpedoes & perfectos, and my Xikar V-cutter (which you REALLY need to review!) for everything else, all my cutting needs are solved FOREVER.

If there are better products out there, somebody's gonna have to prove it to me. Good luck with the reviews bro, cant wait to read em!

• Options
    fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    blue your b/m should just swap it for you.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    BlueRings:
    XiKar
    Don't own one myself, but I've used them before at B&Ms, and I can say with some great confidence that this damage being done trying to cut paper is a MAJOR fluke... and it certainly not typical of this cutter (or any other XiKar product in my experience) and is a perfect example of why they offer the warranty they do. Get it replaced. Try the test again, and I bet it will prove that this was a one time product error.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    I don't see how that's possible as described - physically. Looks like you tried to cut a staple to me.
  • Options
    I too was shocked. I rolled up a post a note, no staple included as perceived, and quickly followed through with the cutter. After doing some research I discovered that paper can even dull or ruin the edge quickly depending on the carbon content. The blades are also made out of carbon and sharpen to micrometers of thickness in order to achieve the sharpness they have, thinner than bonded paper.

This is no way intended to say that this is a poor product. It was my fault for using it in a different manner than intended. I was looking to test the cut on a piece of paper instead of a $4-5 cigar that I was not going to smoke at the time. I find I can learn things are possible after I research it. The internet is a beautiful thing. I want to discourage others not to use a piece of paper or post-a-note in order to test the cutting ability of this cutter.
  • Options
    ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    Any updates on the third cutter?
  • Options
    bacon.jay:
    nikostewart:
    I've heard great things about the cigar scissors that Wenger puts on some of their SAK's, but they're damned expensive.

http://www.sakwiki.com/show_image.php?id=413&scalesize=0&nocount=y

I've had one like this for almost a decade, and it's by far the best cutter I've ever used. I was never good at getting an even cut with a regular cutter, but I get it done perfectly every time with this, and it's still extremely sharp. The knife comes in handy too, so it's not just used for cigars.