Home Cigar 101

Heartfelt Beads

zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
I currently have the 65% ones in my humi, but usually its lower than that, closer to 62%. I'm pretty sure the seal isnt the best and some rh is escaping. If I purchase the 70% beads, that should get my rh% higher correct?

Thanks!

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably - but I can't guarantee it, obviously.

Different thought - same topic.... we all know that opinions are like bellybuttons - everyone's got one. That said, I have 65% beads and actually like it when/if the RH drops to 62%. My sticks seem to burn much better at that RH.

Marty

• zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I see. I kind of want to raise the humidity because I think my humi doesnt have the best seal. I think if I get the 70's, it will sit around 65 consistently. I went with the conservagel beads from bargain humidor instead of heartfelt, they were about half the price.

Thanks
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I had the 70% in my 150ct which also didnt have a great seal and they kept it @ a steady 67% which is actually where I wanted it.
  • jship079jship079 Posts: 621
    Dont forget the room rh plays a factor.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I got the 70%, adjusted for the room and added a little less beads to keep it between 66 and 69 rh
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Probably - but I can't guarantee it, obviously.

I have 65% beads and actually like it when/if the RH drops to 62%. My sticks seem to burn much better at that RH.

Marty

I'm with Marty on this one as I keep my sticks between 62 - 65.
  • SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I have the 65% beads and in the spring and fall they stay consisently between 64 and 66%. Summer between 68 and 70 due to the humidity in the air, and winter 62 to 64% because if the dryness inthe air. Humidors don't have a perfect seal nor should they. The air has to breath a little, and the dry air in the winter will leach out more humidity. A humidifier in the room will help. It also depends on the temperature of the room.
  • noccanocca Posts: 12
    Maybe not . Do the dollar test , if you humi. fails , you can run scotch tape the length of your seal . that should do it . If not its time for a new box . Cheers
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    zeebra:
    I currently have the 65% ones in my humi, but usually its lower than that, closer to 62%. I'm pretty sure the seal isnt the best and some rh is escaping. If I purchase the 70% beads, that should get my rh% higher correct?

Thanks!
    i have the 70% beads in my humidors. The RH stays between 65-68% most of the time, only time it reaches 70 is right after I charged the beads, but after a day it will fall into the normal range for my smokes (65-68)

"Long ashes my friends."

• t_evan50:
    I had the 70% in my 150ct which also didnt have a great seal and they kept it @ a steady 67% which is actually where I wanted it.
    I have a 150 ct. Humidor with 65% conservagel beads. I bought a pound and it says a recommended 3 oz. for every 50 cigars. How many beads do you use in your 50 count? Because I thought that 16 oz. is 1 pound right? So I should be using 9 oz. of beads which is a little more then half... and it just didn't seem correct considering they say you can use a pound or so of beads for your cooladors, which in my opinion is alot larger space... Is 9 oz. good for 150 ct. humi??!?!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    newbiesmoker24:
    t_evan50:
    I have a 150 ct. Humidor with 65% conservagel beads. I bought a pound and it says a recommended 3 oz. for every 50 cigars. How many beads do you use in your 50 count? Because I thought that 16 oz. is 1 pound right? So I should be using 9 oz. of beads which is a little more then half... and it just didn't seem correct considering they say you can use a pound or so of beads for your cooladors, which in my opinion is alot larger space... Is 9 oz. good for 150 ct. humi??!?!
    The thing is, that 150 count humi will not hold 150 sticks. More like 100 or 120. Also, most of us here tend to double up on the recommended amount, and that is why you will here us toss around numbers like that. I keep 2 pounds of Conservagel 65% beads in my coolerdor. However my coolerdor is the kind you get for keeping fresh fish in. This thing is almost 4 feet long.
    Your question about the amount to use in your humi is hard to give a real firm answer to. There are room conditions, geographical area conditions and other things to take into account. I would guess that 9 ounces would be more then enough. The best way to tell, is if the RH stays within a range that YOU find acceptable. Remember we tend to go the overkill route when it comes to beads. They send them to you when you purchase them, so why not use them all if you have room. You really can't have Too many beads.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    newbiesmoker24:
    t_evan50:
    I'm not sure of the weight of beads I had in my 150ct tho if I had to guess I'd say no more than 4oz. I simply bought the round discs full of beads and used their recommended sq footage and like laker said I doubled the recommendation. For my cooler I was using a full pound which was more than enough. Thats the beauty of beads you're not going to over humidify unless you really mess up the charging.