Home General Discussion
Options

box-pressed

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
How long will a box-pressed cigar hold its square shape, and if it becomes round, will it lose its flavor?
One God, One Truth

Comments

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I've had some pretty old cigars and never seen them lose their box press, and ive had some extreme box pressed sticks such as the I Press and Vice Press. If you are worried about them losing shape, u could store them in your humidor together...that is if u have enough to pack them like they are in a box.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I can't see them losing their shape or their flavor. Cigars are made while the leaves are still pliable and they dry in that shape. Getting them to change shape now would be difficult if not impossible, the leaves would probably just crack instead. Left on their own I don't think they'll ever budge.

The flavor comes from the leaves themselves and the blend of the cigar. Any flavor which is enhanced from a box-press shape over a parejo shape is minimal and possibly just a marketing gimmick or an aesthetic hand-feel choice.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the only way a box-press would lose it's shape would be if it unraveled due to drastic fluctuations in rh. I couldn't imagine a LFD Factory Press EVER losing it's shape.... you could cut diamonds with that thing!

Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    ajacobsajacobs Posts: 29
    I guess my experience is different.  Box pressed cigars slowly loose their shape for me with some being almost round that are 6 or 7 years old.  They don't all loose it at the same rate and the shape loss is not related to flavor.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    thanks fellas, i dont have any i was just wondering.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Keep them under your mattress.