Home General Discussion
Options

Oliva Master Blend 3

Has anybody smoked this cigar? Aside from appearance and burn, how did it taste? Just wondering if it is worth the price?

Comments

• Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I was was not impressed, but It could have been a bum stick. Verry blah for the money IMO.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    firetruckguy:
    I was was not impressed, but It could have been a bum stick. Verry blah for the money IMO.
    This is a first - Ive got to wholeheartedly DISagree with firetruckguy. I found this to be a very complex and delicious smoke! Pretty powerful, one of the few sticks I have ever had that I found to be both chocolatey AND boozy. Notes of earth & hay intermingling throughout... this one was a big winner with me.

Also, one of the very few box-pressed smokes Ive had NO burn issues with. One of the few sticks out there that justifies its price tag IMHO.

firetruck, you GOTTA give this one another chance brother! Would hate for you to miss out on a great smoke because you got a bad stick somehow.

• Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    The Sniper:
    firetruckguy:
    This is a first - Ive got to wholeheartedly DISagree with firetruckguy. I found this to be a very complex and delicious smoke! Pretty powerful, one of the few sticks I have ever had that I found to be both chocolatey AND boozy. Notes of earth & hay intermingling throughout... this one was a big winner with me.

Also, one of the very few box-pressed smokes Ive had NO burn issues with. One of the few sticks out there that justifies its price tag IMHO.

firetruck, you GOTTA give this one another chance brother! Would hate for you to miss out on a great smoke because you got a bad stick somehow.

Im thinking there are some bum sticks in the mix with these. The one I had was aweful. Terrible burn and no flavor. I haven't revisited it yet but they can't be that bad with all the praise I've seen them get.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    firetruckguy:

Snip, I respect your taiste in sticks my friend, so I will keep the next one I get and promice not to trade it away.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I had one about a year ago. I got pretty bored with it. I'm not the biggest Oliva or maduro fan, so it's kind of an uphill battle for this stick. That being said I've got a few more that I've been sitting on for a while, and plan on giving them another shot sometime.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    firetruckguy:

I have to say I agree with Sniper, I smoked my first one back before Xmas and have to say it was a damn good smoke. Nice draw, razor sharp burn, good full bodied smoke. I bought a 5pk when they were on DD one day, glad I did. IMO ranks up there with Serie V and Tempus Maduro.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    firetruckguy:
    felt the same way
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    The Sniper:
    firetruckguy:

Snip, I respect your taiste in sticks my friend, so I will keep the next one I get and promice not to trade it away.
    Brett, I agree with you, I wasn't overly impressed with this one but, on the advice of Glen, will revisit this one. Do I need to send you 1 to revisit also, LOL?
  • Options
    Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    firetruckguy:

ive got to agree. its a great stick.
    i had 3 and smoked one, and realised how awesome they are so i left the other to rest for a little while, i think its time to wake them up, its been 1.5 years.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Bandy & Firetruck, tell ya what - both of you go ahead and try another one sometime soon. Im thinking you guys had to have gotten a bum batch... Im gonna swing by my B&M after work & pick up a couple. Have gotten MBIII's from there before and I know that batch is good to go.

If you try them again and like 'em, I will just keep the ones I buy from the B&M.

If you have the same reaction this time, I will send you each one of the ones I pick up from the B&M and you can try "known good" ones. If you still think they suck, then three strikes and they're out!

How's that sound fellas?

• Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    The Sniper:
    firetruckguy:

I can't promise, but I am pretty sure I sent you a torp and a churchill. those are the two best sizes IMO. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I like this cigar, but I too have been a bit unimpressed with the last couple I've had. I'm sitting on a box and hoping that they'll round out with time...got about 18 months on them now.
  • Options
    I've bought a few 5-packs and I consider these to be Oliva's best. Very good flavor, perfect construction (all Oliva's seem to have great construction). Every now and then it hits me a little hard - it has sneaky power - but overall, this is a great stick. The daily deal price that ccom had last month was insane - by far the cheapest I've ever seen them.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I'm with the "not impressed" crowd. It certainly wasn't a bad smoke, but not one I'd seek out again. Could have been a bad stick but I remember a distinct bitterness that I just couldn't handle. It was kind of like smoking an IPA (and I'm not a fan of beer in general, let alone very hoppy, bitter beers).